Sign in to follow this  
fredbroca

Red Alert

I understand when a red alert happens the sirens and red lights gets people to get moving to where they need to go but why leave the red lighting on the bridge? I would think you would want as much light as you can so people can see what they are doing but they always leave it on so its dark and hard to see. It just does not seem to make sence to me. What do you think?

I think that the dark lighting makes perfect sense. Because the computer panels are bright, they would actually be more visible in the dark. Ever try to look at a computer screen with glarring lights behind you? Edited by Lt. Commander Bolivar

Well, probably...

But it could also be there to help the crew focus on their particular job and don't be distracted by what could happend at the other end of the bridge.

And it looks so cool on tv :-)

Perhaps it also works as a reminder for the crew to be focused and alert, Red Alert can probably sometimes last for quite long.

Also if some crewman on the bridge does not hear the captain give the order for some reason, he will surely notice..

Edited by Stelfan

Well, I don't know the answer to that, but here's something funny I came across a while ago that has to do with it. It's called "Foyager Park" and it's a Flash animation. Click on "Episode 3: Red Alert!" It is so funny. Then watch some of the others because they're great.

Being retired military, the red lights help promote good "night-vision".

When working in a near dark situation, your eyesight needs time to adapt to the dark. You can try this by waiting until later in the evening, about 2230 should do. Go from your normally lighted home and step outside where you can't see the street lights and look at the stars. If you stay there about 2 minutes, you'll find you can see many more stars than when you first came out. Now, walk back inside for about 15 seconds (notice how bright it seems) and go back out again. It'll take a little longer to adapt this time because your eyes were "shocked" with the bright lights. In the military world, this can be a bad thing, so at night, red lights are activated to allow evening watch standers and patrols to maintain the best eyesight they can in order to be able to find those buzzers, switches, dials and knobs, klingons or cardassians.....and the coffee pot. Even astronomers use red flashlights or other red light producing items when star gazing.

Hope this helps.