Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

StarTrek.Com, shutting down?

I just found this over at ST.C:

Goodbye from the STARTREK.COM Team

Sadly, we must report that CBS Interactive organization is being restructured, and the production team that brings you the STARTREK.COM site has been eliminated. Effective immediately.

We don't know the ultimate fate of this site, which has served millions of Star Trek fans for the last thirteen years.

If you have comments, please send them to editor @ startrek.com - we hope someone at CBS will read them.

Thank you for your loyal fandom over the years. It has been a pleasure to serve you.

Related Links:

e-mail to editor@startrek.com

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news...le/2316633.html

:laugh: Its not April Fools.

Unless the users over there mount and succeed in a campaign to save it, get ready for another migration.

I doubt it's anything to worry about. They're probably just going to revamp the site in light of the new movie, and decided to bring in a new team.

I just hope this means some actually mods for the message board.

This is shocking news! It doesn't look good for STARTREK.COM, but it ain't over yet. I just sent an email to the editors there (as the article recommended). All we can do is keep emailing them and hope for the best. Maybe we should also email (and write to) CBS about it. If fans could bring back TOS for a third season, maybe we can keep STARTREK.COM on the internet!

I, for one, hope this is true. I hope that a whole new team is ushered in to produce a brand new quality Official Star Trek website.

:laugh: This is terrible news for all of us. I encourage you all send out an email showing your support..

Unless the users over there mount and succeed in a campaign to save it, get ready for another migration.

Is that what worries you, a migration.. :laugh: I'd be more concerned about losing the site altogether..Losing the Star Trek news, current events and a vast library of information..

I, for one, hope this is true. I hope that a whole new team is ushered in to produce a brand new quality Official Star Trek website.

It's more likely that if StarTrek.com goes away, there won't be any official Star Trek site anymore..And don't forget Kor, that your girlfriend Kate lives at Star Trek.com..

It's more likely that if StarTrek.com goes away, there won't be any official Star Trek site anymore..And don't forget Kor, that your girlfriend Kate lives at Star Trek.com..

Good Point! I'll have to set Kate up in an apartment and be her sugar daddy.... :laugh:

Carl can fend for himself!

Seriously, though, with a new Trek movie coming out next year, I can't believe that Paramount would not want to have an official Trek site. They still need to shill their stuff so I have to believe that if the site shut down, it would only be temporary.

As for a new migration, I welcome any influx of new members to this site.

is it really such a bad thing???

I agree with you. Shutting the place down is hardly a bad thing. St.com was littered with immature posters that spammed the msg boards up and began internecine flame wars. In addition, the news items there could be found at most any website. The only real purpose that site served was to sell and market overpriced merchandise. This may be harsh to some, but I for one consider this good news.

Goodbye from the STARTREK.COM Team

Sadly, we must report that CBS Interactive organization is being restructured, and the production team that brings you the STARTREK.COM site has been eliminated. Effective immediately.

We don't know the ultimate fate of this site, which has served millions of Star Trek fans for the last thirteen years.

If you have comments, please send them to editor @ startrek.com - we hope someone at CBS will read them.

Thank you for your loyal fandom over the years. It has been a pleasure to serve you.

e-mail to editor@startrek.com

So what gives with this???

I enjoyed the site but I wasnt one of the "hardcore" posters or anything--but its the principal here that really should peeve all of us off, as it is WAY beyond neglect: They consider Star Trek fans worthless. I think those of you saying its not a big deal should at least consider two things: First, that firing people in the name of greed is bad enough (and lets not kid ourselves, its GREED, look at their profits from Trek merchandise alone last year), but to fire them just before Christmas is SICK. You couldnt make a television or movie about some company doing this anymore because it would seem corny--nobody does that anymore they'd be committing public image suicide, right?! Guess CBS/Paramount could care less what anyone thinks, not employees at Christmas, not their families, and especially not Star Trek fans. Theyre too greedy to care.

Second, there is no financial excuse for this behavior, it is simply disgusting for them to behave this way out of greed---there is NO way they need to "cut corners because money is tight." They'd be insane to try claiming that with the numbers theyve had on Trek sales last year...but then again their CEO's fire people on Christmas just to pad their stats, so who knows. Financially with the money theyre making on Star Trek merchandise, there is just no excuse for taking the ONLY thing they offered to Trek fans away, when we pay for enough to maintain thousands of sites. They just want to have every penny they can to line their wallets, and produce more crap that is non-Trek. So the money they make from us, the fans, is used for non-Trek productions AND one of the first things that gets eliminated is something setup for Star Trek fans. Face it, the companies that control Trek have given us the final shaft they could possibly give us, with no regard for the employees families around Christmas.

SO...even if you did not like the site, you have to admit those two things are true: They couldnt care less about Trek fans despite the loyalty & money we have always provided, and, they hold people in GENERAL in such low regard they could care less who they fire, WHEN they fire them, or what part they play in their success---if they can kill you to save a nickel, they will. Unless there is something more to this than them killing a fan site & firing people at Christmas just to save a few bucks, I am never putting another penny of mine into Star Trek. I will not financially support a company that treats people this way.

Edited by Horatiohornblower

but to fire them just before Christmas is SICK. You couldnt make a television or movie about some company doing this anymore because it would seem corny--nobody does that anymore they'd be committing public image suicide, right?!

Actually, you are wrong about this. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the heaviest time of year for layoffs. Most companies that are doing layoffs do it at this time because they want to start the first quarter of the year with reduced costs. When I was layed off years ago, it was right before Christmas. Its terrible for the person getting layed off but morals and integrity go out the window where profit is concerned.

I don't think I read anywhere in their statement that this was a financial move. Did I miss something? I firmly believe that the site will be revamped and back well before the premiere of the next Trek movie. Maybe they might even bring back "The Lounge"! Many of us that boycott Startrek.com do so for the sole reason that they took the Lounge away. I'm one of them.

On the bright side, we already have two new members to this site becuase of all this so let me take this opportunity to welcome both yourself, SmorgasBorg(LOVE that name!) and Horatiohornblower!... :laugh:

Hi, I just registered here due to the locking of all forums on st.com. My SN here is the same as it was there. Now, down to the business of shopping for a new, quality replacement:

St.com was littered with immature posters that spammed the msg boards up and began internecine flame wars.

It also offered free speech, I am guessing this site does not.

The question is, is this site worth migrating to or is it like a million other Star Trek sites with immature, overbearing mods?

Hi, I just registered here due to the locking of all forums on st.com. My SN here is the same as it was there. Now, down to the business of shopping for a new, quality replacement:

St.com was littered with immature posters that spammed the msg boards up and began internecine flame wars.

It also offered free speech, I am guessing this site does not.

The question is, is this site worth migrating to or is it like a million other Star Trek sites with immature, overbearing mods?

Dude, you just proved my point about that site. :laugh:

..... you were much cooler over there anyways. :lol:

Dude, you just proved my point about that site.

..... you were much cooler over there anyways.

So, are you telling me that this is an over-moderated site?

Edited by Garak_3473

It's a real TRAGEDY!!!!!!!!

:laugh:

I have been a regular poster on startrek.com

I had the same nickname...

Obviously I am happy to have maintained my place here....

I would like that it is only a temporary situation...

Perhaps the Paramount didn't like the strip of the cartoon...

I hope that I am in no way a possible cause for this ruin...

My fanatism for Brent Spiner is always the same!

:)

However, I intend to continue to write my fanfictions and to participate to Star Trek website anywhere...

W STAR TREK!!!!!

:lol:

You just quoted me.You should be aware of what i said. Don't put words in my mouth- that is a bad way to introduce yourself here or anywhere for that matter. Obviously your time there has rubbed off on you. If you have a question regarding moderation,perhaps you should forward that to an admin. They can answer that question for you.

I would like to answer to this question...

the fans here are very different from the fans on startrek.com...

they reflect very well before answer to a topic

instead to show their emotions abruptly

I would like to answer to this question...

the fans here are very different from the fans on startrek.com...

they reflect very well before answer to a topic

instead to show their emotions abruptly

Very well stated.

Ciao a presto, Star Rose :laugh:

You just quoted me.You should be aware of what i said. Don't put words in my mouth- that is a bad way to introduce yourself here or anywhere for that matter. Obviously your time there has rubbed off on you. If you have a question regarding moderation,perhaps you should forward that to an admin. They can answer that question for you.

I am not introducing myself, I am shopping. It is this site that is being put to the test, not me.

I prefer to be direct when I ask a question, not dance around the question.

If that is considered rude on this site then I will be on my way.

I am not introducing myself, I am shopping. It is this site that is being put to the test, not me.

I prefer to be direct when I ask a question, not dance around the question.

If that is considered rude on this site then I will be on my way.

Again, I will direct your attention to what was stated before. "Perhaps, you should forward that to an admin." Fyi, if you like to be direct, then why result to a test? It would make more sense given your disposition towards testing to ask intelligent questions, not just blurt out stuff like "is this an over moderated site".

Again, I will direct your attention to what was stated before. "Perhaps, you should forward that to an admin." Fyi, if you like to be direct, then why result to a test? It would make more sense given your disposition towards testing to ask intelligent questions, not just blurt out stuff like "is this an over moderated site

I asked a direct question to anyone and you chose to respond. Perhaps it is you who should have let Admin answer but really, wouldn't the members know?

So a direct question is now unintelligent?

Nevermind, I have my answers.