Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Red Blood?

When Soran on Generations punched one of the Duras sisters in the mouth, it looked like she was bleeding red blood. Klingons have purple blood, what's going on? :huh:

Edited by Gamera

Star Trek VI is the only instance of pink/purple Klingon blood. This was only done to avoid an R rating. Klingon's have been seen bleeding red in every other instance of a Klingon bleeding.

Star Trek VI is the only instance of pink/purple Klingon blood. This was only done to avoid an R rating. Klingon's have been seen bleeding red in every other instance of a Klingon bleeding.

Ah, but there was also red human blood in that movie. So that couldn't have been the reason.

I'd hate it if they changed it to red, it was better pinkish purple. Humans have red, Vulcansand Romulans green, Andorians blue and Klingons pink purple :huh:

It'd be better that way to have different species with different blood

Edited by Gamera

Ah, but there was also red human blood in that movie. So that couldn't have been the reason.

It was. Directly from Memory Alpha:

In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Klingon blood is pink, and in TNG and DS9 it is red. The supposed reason for this is that having floating red blood all over the ship was considered too violent, and would have given the movie a more extreme rating than would be appropriate for the target audience. Pink blood makes it obvious at a glance that the violence is simulated, not real.

So how hard would it have been to continue to show pink blood in subsequent series episodes?

I hate to tell you this, but Memory Alpha is an end-user wiki. When you view a wiki you are not necessarily viewing facts but rather what some end-users think are facts.

Wikis are generally designed with the philosophy of making it easy to correct mistakes, rather than making it difficult to make them. That means the data is constantly changing and you don't know if what you are looking at today will be there tomorrow.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

So how hard would it have been to continue to show pink blood in subsequent series episodes?

I agree completely Kringle, TUC was the first time I remember ever seeing Klingon blood so how difficult would it have been to just keep show that color blood in every instance after???

I hate to tell you this, but Memory Alpha is an end-user wiki. When you view a wiki you are not necessarily viewing facts but rather what some end-users think are facts.

Wikis are generally designed with the philosophy of making it easy to correct mistakes, rather than making it difficult to make them. That means the data is constantly changing and you don't know if what you are looking at today will be there tomorrow.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902

According to the imdb (which I acknowledge is not a great source, either): According to the producers, the Klingon blood was purple to avoid an "R" rating. Also, the use of purple blood was to serve as a visual symbol both metaphorical (showing the vast differences between Klingon and Human values and ideals) and literal (showing the differences between our anatomies; slamming home why McCoy could never have saved the Chancellor's life). Klingon blood has always been red in the television series.

Of course, I listened to the commentary on STVI and they don't mention this but apparently, the blood was green in the script but that was changed due to Vulcans already having green blood.

I agree completely Kringle, TUC was the first time I remember ever seeing Klingon blood so how difficult would it have been to just keep show that color blood in every instance after???

I'm guessing it was always just cheaper and easier to use red blood because they had it on hand. The logical in-universe explanation is the Klingon Augment virus as Klingon blood is red before and after ST VI.

The logical in-universe explanation is the Klingon Augment virus as Klingon blood is red before and after ST VI.

Oh, sure, bring THAT up.

I guess it does make sense as to why Bones couldn't treat him, since the only Klingons he ever got close enough to examine had smooth foreheads.

If only they kept the pink blood, we could've had a great running joke...

Klingons: warrior on the outside, pansy on the inside.

Edited by NutcrackerOmega