Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

'Purple Rain' Named Best Soundtrack Ever

'Purple Rain' Named Best Soundtrack Ever

Reuters

Posted: 2007-10-24 17:15:10

Filed Under: Movie News, Music News

NEW YORK (Oct. 24) - If you've hummed along, tapped your feet, or even danced in your seat while watching "Purple Rain," "Saturday Night Fever" or "Trainspotting," you're not alone.

The soundtracks from those movies have been named among the 50 greatest by the editors of Vanity Fair magazine. The full list will be revealed next month in a one-time Conde Nast magazine, Movies Rock, for subscribers of its 14 titles.

"Purple Rain" topped the chart even though it was described as "perhaps the best badly acted film ever," editors at Vanity Fair said, while "Trainspotting" came in at No. 7 and "Saturday Night Fever" was eighth.

The Vanity Fair editors said the "Purple Rain" soundtrack was a flawless combination of "funk, R&B, pop, metal, and even psychedelia into a sound that defined the '80s."

"A Hard Day's Night" came in a No. 2, followed by "The Harder They Come," "Pulp Fiction," "The Graduate" and "Superfly." "American Graffiti" and "The Big Chill" rounded out the top 10.

"Saturday Night Fever's" soundtrack is "required listening for anyone looking to heat up the dance floor," the editors said. "The white suit? Not so much."

Movies Rock, which will feature stories and photos of the projects, stars, directors and musicians who created the selected movies, launches ahead of a two-hour CBS broadcast of the same title in December.

The Top Ten Soundtracks

1. Purple Rain

2. A Hard Day's Night

3. The Harder They Come

4. Pulp Fiction

5. The Graduate

6. Superfly

7. Trainspotting

8. Saturday Night Fever

9. American Graffiti

10. The Big Chill

This is completely bogus. ANY Beatles movie had a better soundtrack than 'Purple Rain'!

I love how such epic soundtracks that WEREN'T rock/r&b based, such as "West Side Story," and "South Pacific" aren't even taken into account. The West Side Story soundtrack has spent more weeks at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album charts than any other album ever. That includes Thriller. Nice going guys. Way to look like professionals.

The people that voted Purple Rain as the best soundtrack must have been high on a drug called purple rain or somesuch drug. I would rather hear Roseanne Barr (remember the national anthem) singing than Prince.

I love how such epic soundtracks that WEREN'T rock/r&b based, such as "West Side Story," and "South Pacific" aren't even taken into account. The West Side Story soundtrack has spent more weeks at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album charts than any other album ever. That includes Thriller. Nice going guys. Way to look like professionals.

Excellent points YBHYR! One of my faves on the list is American Graffiti. Having Purple Rain number one makes me wonder if the editors of Vanity Fair are now on the payroll of Prince. <_<