Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

What was your nightly schedule?

I was thinking back to what my nightly TV schedule used to be back in the 70's and 80's. Do you remember yours? (For those not born back then or too young to remember then what era was your favorite?)

These aren't all of the shows of course, just the ones that stick out in my mind from memory and they may be from different years ranging from about 1978 to 1983:

Mondays

8:00pm WKRP (They moved this show's time just about every year)

9:00pm Mash

Tuesdays

8:00pm Happy Days

9:00pm Three's Company

9:30pm Taxi (They moved this around a lot too)

Wed

8:00pm Eight Is Enough

9:00pm Diff'rent Strokes

Thur

8:00pm The Waltons

9:00pm Quincy, M.E.

Friday

8:00pm Incredible Hulk

9:00pm Dukes Of Hazzard

Sat

8:00pm CHiPs

9:00pm Love Boat

10:00pm Fantasy Island

Sun

6:30pm/7:00pm to about 8:45pm We would visit my Grandmother and generally watched things like Lawrence Welk. Sometimes we would watch The Six Million Dollar Man or Battlestar Galactica.

9:00pm All In The Family

9:30pm Alice

I know there must be others through the years that were "Must See TV" back then but these are the ones that stick out.

For those born after about 1985, keep in mind there was no Cable TV. There were no PC's and no Internet and Video games were a novelty. No DVD's and Video tapes didn't really get big until about 1983 or 1984. Network TV (ABC, CBS and NBC) was pretty much all there was. And Remote Controls?? HA! My parents had 5 kids... WE were the remote controls for them! LOL (J/K)

As limited as it was though... I miss it. Too many choices now, not that that's a bad thing but back then it just seemed like the TV shows were better. Maybe that's because in 1979 I was 11 lol.

Anyone else have other favorites?

8:00 weeknights, TNN, TNG

1:00 morning, UPN, VOY

12:00 morning (sometimes), SciFi, TOS

Occasional movies on cable, TNN

--Trek

7&8, weeknights, USA, JAG

8:00 Tuesday night, CBS, JAG

Guess how old I am?

Wow, what a memory VBG. I remember some of the shows I watched, but not the nights they were on much less the time!! Since my Father ruled the TV and only enjoyed shows that were unsuitable for young kids, most of the programming from the 70's I didn't get to see until they were in reruns. After he left, I remember fighting my older brothers for television rights. The rule at our house was the first on to get to the tv got to choose what we watched. Needless to say I was forced to watch Charlie's Angels a lot! I think the only show we ever agreed on was Dukes (I'm sure Daisy was the reason!). During the 80's I was fan of MacGyver, The Cosby Show, The Fall Guy and Magnum PI. I'm sure there were others but these shows come to mind at the moment. One show from the 70's that I just loved was Starsky & Hutch. I used to set my alarm for midnight and get up to watch it on late night tv. I had to have the sound turned down real low so my Mother wouldn't wake up. I don't remember exactly when but at some point my brothers found out so then we would all get up to watch it. This went on for about 4 or 5 years before the show was taken off the air. Someone told me recently that they're making a S&H movie that should be out sometime next year. Thanks for this subject, VBG...it brings back a lot of memories.

I remember watching the A team and getting up really early on saturday and sunday morinings to watch robotech. Most of the other show you mentioned I only got to see in reruns like my wife makes me watch the waltons now and again.

Couldn't tell you the days or times, but I always watched WKRP, M*A*S*H, Taxi, Family Ties, Cheers, Love Boat, Dukes of Hazzard, Night Rider, Battlestar Galactica. There's more, but I was pretty young when I was watching these. I was born in '78.

My gosh I can barely remember what I watched last week. Saturday night (7:00 my time) is Hockey Night in Canada - it is an institution in our country! I can remember watching Canadian programs like This Is The Law (a panel show where they had to decide whether there was an actual law still on the books for something that now seems incredibly ridiculous), Front Page Challenge (another news panel show) and Wayne & Shuster specials. I never really got into the Beachcombers though.

For American programming, I can remember watching MASH and many of the other programs you mentioned like WKRP (my uncle worked at a radio station and he said that the characters were so true to life - scary eh).

(my uncle worked at a radio station and he said that the characters were so true to life - scary eh).

WKRP would have been a FUN place to work I think lol.

I'm like LFD...I can remember the shows I watched but not the exact nights and times! I was also a fan of WKRP in Cincinatti, as well as MASH. I also watched TOS reruns and Saturday Night Live. The original Not Ready For Prime Time Players, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Garrett Morris, Larraine Newman, and Jane Curtin were the best!