Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Baby names

Well, my wife and I are having another baby. We just found out that it's going to be a boy. (Though I was hoping for a girl.) Anyway, we're not too sure what to name him. After or first son, we decided that the next would be named Ashe, but then, when she got pregnant again, the baby didn't make it, and got cremated. So "Ashe" wouldn't be very appropriate, I think. And that leaves us with a little problem... what woud be a good, but not very common, boy's name?

Well, my wife and I are having another baby. We just found out that it's going to be a boy. (Though I was hoping for a girl.) Anyway, we're not too sure what to name him. After or first son, we decided that the next would be named Ashe, but then, when she got pregnant again, the baby didn't make it, and got cremated. So "Ashe" wouldn't be very appropriate, I think. And that leaves us with a little problem... what woud be a good, but not very common, boy's name?

I'd name the boy...."Keg".

I'd name the boy...."Keg".

If I did that, I'd try to to tap him...

:biggrin:

Congrats on baby!!!!!!

We are going with older names for our baby. Clarence is our first choice. Older names are now less common so you wont get confused. On the other hand you will call ur child in the street and some old dude will turn around (like kor lol)

Charles Edward

Louis Stuart

Micheal James

All good scottish names :biggrin:

Bret is always a good choice. You can spell it with one or two "T"s.

Either way is correct.

Moi?....."Old dude"?....... :biggrin:

About a year off from 50 soon... :laugh: Yeap, you are getting very close to be called an "Old dude". :laugh:

I wonder if your family has plans for your birthday next year. :P

Moi?....."Old dude"?....... :biggrin:

About a year off from 50 soon... :laugh: Yeap, you are getting very close to be called an "Old dude". :laugh:

I wonder if your family has plans for your birthday next year. :P

Age is only a state of mind. I'm sure my wife has something cooked up for next year.

I've always liked "Malik". I have had a few characters by that name in RPs. It's middle-eastern but I got it from Dinotopia.

http://www.babynamesworld.com/ is a good place to look (I use it to name made up people whenever the need arises :biggrin:)

I guess it would depend on the family name. Some good first names just don't sound right with some last names.

Hmm... maybe I should go through all my Trek DVDs and find a cool name to steal from there...

Hmm... maybe I should go through all my Trek DVDs and find a cool name to steal from there...

Good idea! Let's start with ENT: Jonathan, Charles (Trip), Malcolm, Travis And Phlox (kidding).

TOS: James, Leonard, Montgomery, Hikaru, Pavel.

TNG: Jean Luc, Geordi, William (I doubt that Data or Worf would make the cut)

DS9: Benjamin, Miles, Julian.

VOY: Thomas, Harry (leaving out Chakotay)

Here's something to start with. :laugh:

Good idea! Let's start with ENT: Jonathan, Charles (Trip), Malcolm, Travis And Phlox (kidding).

TOS: James, Leonard, Montgomery, Hikaru, Pavel.

TNG: Jean Luc, Geordi, William (I doubt that Data or Worf would make the cut)

DS9: Benjamin, Miles, Julian.

VOY: Thomas, Harry (leaving out Chakotay)

Here's something to start with. :laugh:

I think I'll go with "The Doctor." :laugh:

I have a tendency to like three syllable names:

Christoper

Joshua (my favorite)

Nicholas

Moving up to 4 - there's Alexander

However, one thing I read said the first and last name should be different in the number of syllables - they name has better rhythm. Sos depending on the syllables in your last name you may want to look at either shorter or longer first names.

example:

Stephanie Brown or

Scott Henderson

but not Stephanie Henderson or

Scott Brown

If there has never been person that you've met who's name you liked or even a character from a book or movie I'd suggest going to all the baby name sites and reading through them.

If you've ever done your family tree - there's some great (and not so great) names. I had an ancestor named Evan and love that name.

I was named one thing and called another (ie the ubiquitous nickname for my given name) and I absolutely hated that - it is my absolute all time pet peeve - just my opinion but name your child something you can actually call him - if you want to call him Xander - name him Xander - not Alexander. I remember finding my birth certificate and I couldn't understand who that person was - and why did my mom keep saying it was me - that wasn't my name.

Good luck

And don't hate me for this but does anyone remember Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion?

I have a tendency to like three syllable names:

Christoper

Joshua (my favorite)

Nicholas

Moving up to 4 - there's Alexander

:biggrin: :laugh::laugh:

I have no advice that would help. I have 5 kids thought of names for each one before they were born. Had to do two since I would not find out what they were before hand. Named each one completely different the day they were born.

I've always liked "Malik". I have had a few characters by that name in RPs. It's middle-eastern but I got it from Dinotopia.

http://www.babynamesworld.com/ is a good place to look (I use it to name made up people whenever the need arises :biggrin:)

I guess it would depend on the family name. Some good first names just don't sound right with some last names.

Malik, but spelt with an 'e' (Malek') was also used in stargate SG-1. I love it.

girl: Lilian Amy

they are my nana's on either side's names

I believe in Family names: my first name is after a favorite uncle of my Dad's (my great uncle)and my middle name is for my grandfather on my Mom's side which was carried on for several generations on the Irish side for the first born male in that family.

As TUH said, look in your family history, should be some interesting names - Lorenzo, Johann, and Adolphus are three that are interesting in mine. There are many common ones too: John, George, Robert, David, Frank, Jacob and Christopher are some used more than once.

Again, I believe in family connections for names, but that's just me.

And don't hate me for this but does anyone remember Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion?

ZOMG yes. my mum would bring that up every time I'd cross my eyes at her!

I like the name "Edison", as in "Edison Carter" from the tv show "Max Headroom".