Sign in to follow this  
Gummy

UK Raises it Terror Alert Level to CRITICAL

I've been following this on both CNN and MSNBC.

I think that we need to be following this very closely right now.

Gang, we have many members of this board who are residents of the U.K.

Let's keep them in our thoughts today.

And hope that they're alright.

We'll be fine. Terrorism has been part of life in the UK for decades. First it was the Irish. Now it's Islam-related. Next it will be someone else. We deal with it as it comes. Nothing to get hysterical about, as thankfully British society rarely does about anything.

I for one glad that the attack was caught before the bombs went off, and no one got killed.

LB, because becareful and not become complacent in your beliefs.

LB, because becareful and not become complacent in your beliefs.

What complacency? Terrorism in the UK is nothing new. As such, the best way to deal with it is to live life as normal and let the police and security/intelligence services do their job. No point in becoming paranoid about it.

I am certainly watching this news closely. Beyond the fact that I have distant relatives in England, a grandfather that was born there, and lots of past genealogical connections, I'm travelling there in August, arriving in London and flying out elsewhere in the UK. I agree one must go about ones business, but with perhaps a eye toward anything that seems out of place. I applaud the authorities in Britain for their efforts in apprehending the terrorists that have tried to kill people in London and for those who attacked in Scotland.

Terrorism in the UK is nothing new. As such, the best way to deal with it is to live life as normal and let the police and security/intelligence services do their job. No point in becoming paranoid about it.

Americans should should adopt a similar stance. Terrorists intend to inflict terror. They can do more harm on the economy if people are suddenly too afraid to fly or to go to a major event like the concert or ball game because it might be the one time a terrorist strikes.

Everyone should be vigilant, but do not let the hate-mongers rule your life.

I did not cancel a single trip after 911, and I will not make any such decisions out of fear.

I don't want this to sound flippant or insensitive because I'm serious.

I don't worry about being killed by terrorists - but I live every day in terror of being killed by an SUV or truck flying 20 over the speed limit while the idiot driver engages in some inane prattle on their cellphone.

I'm regretting even starting this thread after seeing the posts that followed.

Isn't it weird how some threads seem to almost automatically stray to another subject?.. :biggrin:

Isn't it weird how some threads seem to almost automatically stray to another subject?.. :P

This is weird even by my standards. :biggrin:

Gummy, I'm not sure what you're upset about. You expressed an opinion and LB disagree with you - in that she didn't think it as big a deal as it may seem. Many of us then followed up on LB's comments about whether we should worry about the threat of terrorist attacks.

The British police do seem to be doing a good job at catching terrorists - which makes me wonder - "are there more terrorist attacks aimed at the U.K. than other countries - or are those other countries just missing what the U.K. is catching?"

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Gummy, I'm not sure what you're upset about. You expressed an opinion and LB disagree with you - in that she didn't think it as big a deal as it may seem. Many of us then followed up on LB's comments about whether we should worry about the threat of terrorist attacks.

The British police do seem to be doing a good job at catching terrorists - which makes me wonder - "are there more terrorist attacks aimed at the U.K. than other countries - or are those other countries just missing what the U.K. is catching?"

After being on the job for 25 years, and after dealing with the aftermath of 9/11 and I remember how on edge we all were in the days that followed, it almost seems like LB was almost nonchalant about what is happening in her homeland. Something like that bothers me. I'm sure that she has her reasons, and I may be misinterpreting what she is saying. But when an attack happens anywhere in the world of that magnitude, I pretty much go to Red Alert automatically. Maybe it's just me.... :biggrin:

I remember reading about a siren going off in Israel during the middle of a concept by a world reknowned violinist (I think Rostopovich but not sure). The concept stopped everyone including the world reknownded violinist and put on their masks and then picked up where they left off.

The alternative is doing what the terrorists want - stop living and sit inside our homes in terror every waking moment of the day. If we do that then the terrorists have won. That is a different thing than taking reasonable precautions -

I heard about the following story on the news - they said a man of apparent mid eastern descent was yelling in Arabic that he had a bomb - now that would get your attention.

firstcoastnews

"Gummy"

After being on the job for 25 years, and after dealing with the aftermath of 9/11 and I remember how on edge we all were in the days that followed, it almost seems like LB was almost nonchalant about what is happening in her homeland. Something like that bothers me. I'm sure that she has her reasons, and I may be misinterpreting what she is saying. But when an attack happens anywhere in the world of that magnitude, I pretty much go to Red Alert automatically. Maybe it's just me....

I am not "nonchalant" but I like many Britons are simply not prepared to alter a way of life because of terrorists. I would (admittedly speculate) that the reason you go to "red alert" is that as an American, living a life where terrorists do pose a daily threat on your own soil is generally unfamilar to your culture, whereas in the UK, it's something we have lived with for a very long time. Granted, one should keep their eyes open for the possibility they may see something to report to the authorities if it is suspicious, but there are limits. The enemy are counting on spreading fear, paranoia and disruption. That's what terrorists do. But they can only "win" if you let them get into your head.

Edited by Lady Britannia

For the record this next trip to England will be my third to the UK and London area since 9-11 for a vacation. So I am trying to not let terror rule my life, but I am concerned. Just wanted to note that. :biggrin:

Ok I am a Londoner, and to be honest I know the areas the two unexploded bombs were found really well. In fact I had been on dates there many times. They would have been horrific (read may hundreds dead) had they gone off, and it was only serendipity that they were discovered. I was warned by a friend not to travel into London after they were discovered (Friend works for the BBC) and not to go during the weekend. I wasn't anyway.

The thing is, why should I stop living my life on my terms. I grew up with beware suspicious packages. I was born during the era of the IRA, I honestly say I wish these terrorists would play the way the IRA for the most part did (Not including 'the real IRA' who acted after the ceasefire) they always left coded messages, often with the media, and most times the area was cleared. I say most, because there were casualties and deaths. For the most part it was more about economic damage.

Yes we are used to terrorism. Lets face it we were attacked in the one place we always felt the safest (the underground) we had sheltered there in the blitz. We lost 52 (I will not include the 4 bombers) and had over 700 injured. Those affected indirectly did the single best thing to do at that time, we sat and we talked to each other over beverages of tea, beer or any other consumable liquid. The following day we continued our lives, went to work and got on with living. Yes we as a nation and as a capital grieved. But we were defiant, we will not allow some mad men who need nothing more than euthanasia (would we allow a dog to continue breathing were it to attack many people?) to stop us living. We honour our dead by living our lives to the best we can.

I think it is experience, with the exception of Spain who have had to deal with the Basque separatists ETA, most countries have not had to deal with organised terrorism on the levels Britain has. And even now we are still catching up on the new methods. But nothing is without a paper trail. It is not just the British police though that are catching the terrorists. Where in many countries the security/intelligence forces do not talk to the head of the law enforcement agencies, Britain (although at the moment the record is somewhat patchy) has a level of co-operation between the forces. MI6 - which deals with international terrorism directed to the UK, talks to MI5 which is to deal with internal (these often are linked) then when the police can do something the information is passed on to Scotland Yard, they in co-operation will build a case, arrest and charge, and then with the crown prosecution service the case is taken to court and tried. But the reason we catch the mad dogs is because the agencies involved do talk to each other. The IRA gave us practice if anything.

That's a good point about Britain having experience with terrorists because from what I understand the acts of the IRA were just as heinous and depraved as Islamic terrorists are today - in some ways more so.

My point was that as an American, there are a lot of things we should be afraid of but aren't - the chance of being killed in a car accident is about 1 in 100 - that's pretty high compared to other potential ways of dying including terrorist acts.

Trekz, do be careful - even though you've been there several times - not being local you might not notice things so much.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Personally I think I have a greater chance of a meteorite hitting me on my head then of being blown up. And that is coming from someone who takes the tube fairly regualarly, though these days I prefer buses and walking. I love being outdoors.

The IRA, much as bombing people is bad. In the mainland weren't as bad as what we have now. They gave warnings that gave time for areas to be cleared of most people (I remember a few cases (Warrington and Docklands) where this wasn't so, but for the most part they were to do with fear and economics) But that is the mainland experience of the IRA, they were brutal in Ireland from what I do know.

The single best rule of thumb, is if you see something you don't think is right, tell a police officer or community support officer. If you see a suspicious bag don't touch, ask around see if it is someone's if it isn't tell a police officer or community police officer.

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

Australia is fairly isolated from the whole terror thing. when australians die from terror it is usually from them being overseas. The biggest hit at us was the bali bombings of october 2002.

BTW i am moving to the uk next year. To who ever is doing this, STOP, or my mother will have kittens about me leaving australia.

(that was ment as a funny comment i really am not that self absorbed)

Signs of the times. Whenever I travel on a major highway in Maryland, all I see are lit up signs saying "Report Suspicious Activity" and it gives a phone number. A bit depressing, actually.....

I've grown up with that type of signage Kor. That for me is normal. It actually was weird on the buses and trains between the end of the IRA and 9/11 it was like where are the "report suspicious packages" signs? I know I should have been relieved, but for me I grew up with vigilance instilled in me. Maybe that is what will win this war. Perhaps I am over optimistic these days.

Signs of the times. Whenever I travel on a major highway in Maryland, all I see are lit up signs saying "Report Suspicious Activity" and it gives a phone number. A bit depressing, actually.....

Why? If people actually report suspicious activities instead of turning a blind eye would it be better for us in the long. I am not talking about terrorist activities. I remember at one time people knew their neighbors and suspicious activities where reported without a second thought.

I was taught to view any package, bag, and any object that is not with someone with suspicions and I will report it to the authority. I would rather be safer than sorry.

Edited by Odie

Odie, that's a good point - when you don't know your neighbors or neighborhood it is hard to recognize anything as out of the ordinary. It also doesn't help if someone is ready to sue you if you look at them funny - imagine if you question what they're doing.

UH, I would not go up to a person and question their activities, but instead go to the authorities.

Edited by Odie

UH, I would not go up to a person and question their activities, but instead go to the authorities.

And if you're in a crowd in a large square - that may be okay. But if you're in a neighborhood and you report a neighbor - they're probably going to know who called the police.

And if you're in a crowd in a large square - that may be okay. But if you're in a neighborhood and you report a neighbor - they're probably going to know who called the police.

Sorry, UH, it sounds like you haven't lived in small town. The place where my moved when I was in high school was very small. Within a few months moving there we got to know the neighbors. One time my brother forgot his keys at night and open the window from outside of the house near the street so not to wake everyone up. So happen a neighbor saw him do it at the time, could not really see him well called the police. Within a short time the police came to our house to see if someone actually broke in and my parents told what had happen. Of course they left, and no got arrested. The next day the neighbor that called the policy that came over to see everything was alright. Of course we told her what happen and laughed about it. If it was not my brother, but someone actually robbing us we would have been gratefully for the neighbor. We are still good friends with them and still look out for each other. If our neighbor did not visit us the next day to everything was alright we would not know who called. Unless of course, there is busy body in the neighborhood that can't mind there own business. :biggrin:

UH, if you do not know the neighbors how would they know who called to cops? If you called the cops on them what can they do to you? I would rather be safe than sorry. It is important to know your neighbors and the normal activities within the neighborhood.

Edited by Odie

Sorry, UH, it sounds like you haven't lived in small town.

That has got to be the best laugh I have had all day.

I am glad to have made you laugh in the hate. :biggrin: