Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Father Kills Bear With A Single Blow

Father Kills 300-Pound Bear With Log

AP

Posted: 2007-06-22 21:19:43

HELEN, Ga. (June 22) - A 300-pound black bear raided a family's campsite, and the father saved his sons from harm by throwing a log at the beast, killing it with a single blow.

Chris Everhart and his three sons were camping in the Chattahoochee National Forest in northern Georgia when the encounter happened Saturday. The bear took the family's cooler and was heading back to the woods when the youngest son, 6-year-old Logan, hurled a shovel at it.

The bear then dropped the cooler and started coming at the boy, said his father. Fearing what might happen next, Everhart, an ex-Marine , grabbed the closest thing he could find - a log from their stash of firewood.

"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."

DeathEverhart was given a ticket for failing to secure his camp site, said Ken Riddleberger, a region supervisor for game management with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

"We've not had an attack in Georgia," Riddleberger said. "The key thing to learn from this is if there's a bear around, do not have your garbage or food available. If we manage our food, we won't have bears around."

The attack happened the same weekend that an 11-year-old boy was killed by a black bear while camping in a forest in Utah. Sam Ives was found mauled to death after he was pulled screaming from his tent in the Uinta National Forest, about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City.

Authorities said it was the first recorded fatal attack by a black bear in that state. His family said there was no food in the tent to attract a bear.

Wow! I wouldn't want to mess with this guy!

You know what I find a little annoying is that the food was easily access to the bear. If the food was up high and away from the camp the bear would not have been an issue.

You know what I find a little annoying is that the food was easily access to the bear. If the food was up high and away from the camp the bear would not have been an issue.

You're right. Anyone with any camping knowledge knows that you have to keep your food in airtight containers so that Yogi and Boo Boo don't get a whiff of it and come calling. :laugh:

If the guy had heard about the kid in Utah, and the girl scout a week before that - he may well have thrown that log with more strength than he knew he had.

Yeah, I've seen pictures where people tie the cooler to a rope and throw a rope over a limb to hoist it in the air. If you leave your cooler in the car - they'll just break the windows out of the car to get to it.

im surpirsed the guy didn't claim it was attacking and claimed self-defense.

The bear can claim it was attacked by 6 year old boy who throw the shovel. :laugh:

I've never understood the attraction of camping.

That makes two of us. I guess that I'm spoiled. When I go on a trip, I want to stay in an Air Conditioned Room with Cable TV, Wireless Internet, and Room Service. I'm not down with tents, campfires and sleeping bags.

No thanks. :laugh:

I agree. The best camping arrangements I've ever seen were in Canada. In Banff there was a metal building where you could store food. In back country sites in Yoho there were built metal poles where you could hoist your food up out of bear's reach.

The bear was attacking - that isn't the issue - the issue is the bear wouldn't have been attacking if the campers had followed the rules.

Absolutely correct!

I used to camp a lot, even by myself, for years. I gave it up about ten years ago because of my hip and back problems (I did tent camping). But however you do it, our (and Canada's) National Parks should be visited by all. They're wonderful!

Edited by trekz

That makes two of us. I guess that I'm spoiled. When I go on a trip, I want to stay in an Air Conditioned Room with Cable TV, Wireless Internet, and Room Service. I'm not down with tents, campfires and sleeping bags.

I know what you're saying! I don't understand the mentality of going on a vacation where you essentially live like a homeless person for a week! My idea of "roughing it" is staying in a 3 star hotel instead of a 4 star hotel... :laugh:

I have had fun when I was kid going camping. The night sky away from the city's lights was worth it. When my son is old enough we will go camping.

I was never big on camping although I went a few times when I was younger - I couldn't sleep on the ground in a tent now - well I could I just couldn't get up in the morning if I did. Camping in the West is better than in the East - less humidity and bugs. But if you've never spent the night under the stars or breathed fresh mountain air - then you have missed out. The stars are almost alive the sky is so beautiful (the humidity and ambient light from all the cities diminishes the view in the East) the humidity also renders sleeping impossible but that's a different story.

And some of the most beautiful places in this country are only available to campers. One thing I miss in Florida is mountains. I also know camper trailers now come complete with microwave and tv and I believe A/C - camping might not be so bad. A few days of cramped quarters is a small price to pay for beauty.

I know what you're saying! I don't understand the mentality of going on a vacation where you essentially live like a homeless person for a week! My idea of "roughing it" is staying in a 3 star hotel instead of a 4 star hotel... :laugh:

Amen, brother.

Amen :(

If you really want to ruff it out go on aircraft carrier for week or two when they are underway. Live in a berthing with 200 people closely, and only separating you from everyone else is thin blue curtains on your rack (smaller than a twin). Of course you will have to sleep on the top third rack and hope the ship does not rock very hard, which does not happen often on a carrier. Then sleep on top of all your belongs that can fit into coffin, but not as deep as one. The best part of this if you are E-5 and below and want to eat a meal it might take an hour to wait in line for cold food. :( This is ruffing it for me. :tear:

Edited by Odie

If you really want to ruff it out go on aircraft carrier for week or two when they are underway. Live in a berthing with 200 people closely, and only separating you from everyone else is thin blue curtains on your rack (smaller than a twin). Of course you will have to sleep on the top third rack and hope the ship does not rock very hard, which does not happen often on a carrier. Then sleep on top of all your belongs that can fit into coffin, but not as deep as one. The best part of this if you are E-5 and below and want to eat a meal it might take an hour to wait in line for cold food. :( This is ruffing it for me. :laugh:

Good example Odie. I spent one cruise in a carrier in a smaller berthing area, but right under the flight deck. During night operations, planes landed nearly over my head, were stopped by the cables, then the cables dragged over the deck above me. Now there's your roughing it! :laugh: And you'd be eating in the mess hall while bombs were wheeled past you. Tops was when we pulled out of port because of typhons nearby, and with the ship rocking far more than usual, the movie one night was: The Poseidin Adventure! Yikes!

Edited by trekz

If you really want to ruff it out go on aircraft carrier for week or two when they are underway. Live in a berthing with 200 people closely, and only separating you from everyone else is thin blue curtains on your rack (smaller than a twin). Of course you will have to sleep on the top third rack and hope the ship does not rock very hard, which does not happen often on a carrier. Then sleep on top of all your belongs that can fit into coffin, but not as deep as one. The best part of this if you are E-5 and below and want to eat a meal it might take an hour to wait in line for cold food. :tear: This is ruffing it for me. :laugh:

Good example Odie. I spent one cruise in a carrier in a smaller berthing area, but right under the flight deck. During night operations, planes landed nearly over my head, were stopped by the cables, then the cables dragged over the deck above me. Now there's your roughing it! :laugh: And you'd be eating in the mess hall while bombs were wheeled past you. Tops was when we pulled out of port because of typhons nearby, and with the ship rocking far more than usual, the movie one night was: The Poseidin Adventure! Yikes!

That is where my berthing was on the ship for 4 and 1/2 years. It is better than forward part of the ship where the jets takes off. :(

Edited by Odie