Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Retro cool

Today's so called 'contemporary designs' are anything but. The consumers with the largest disposable income (the aged 21-35 year olds) arethe target of major manufacturers and corporations whose aim it is to sell this market as much stuff that they don't need, or to replace that which they have as much as possible. The wheels of industry survives on sales. The majority of designs now - including furniture, cars, even movies are all based on those well known designs of the past and are dubbed 'retro'. The idea is that today's 21-35 year olds are so stressed with modern life, in their homes and in their free time they do not want to be reminded of such pressures. They, in effect, enjoy being taken back to a time in their lives when life was stress free ie their childhood. Retro movies, interior spaces, that encase modern technology, are so atractive in that they fulfill this aim. Watching a Scooby Doo movie whilst drinking a bubble gum flavoured alcoho-pop off your wood laminate table feels comfortable. Reminds you of a by gone era. How does this then tie in with TOS you may ask? Well, I think it's obvious. It is no mistake that now is the time that TOS has undergone a major face life. It is the essence of retro cool. The new episodes combine new state of the art technology with that 1960s comfortable feel. Reminiscent of staurday mornings in bed, before you had responsiblities such a walking the dog, cleaning out the fridge and mowing the lawn. These new episodes also, coincidently, serve to produce a new batch of HD DvDs that can replace those other Dvds you bought to replace the cleaned up VHS Cassettes you bought to replace the previous VHS Casettes you had bought to replace the Beta Max videos - and so on, and so on. No doubt, we avid fans will all be clambering t buy these new super improved Dvd box sets. However, I was in Thailand recently and I have seen the future - 3d televisions. I kid you not. A woman pouring a jug of ornage juice has never been so riveting. And I am sure in 10-15 yeras time, Star Trek TOS 3D will probably be as mush a triumph as TOS remastered is now...

I'm glad I held off buying any Trek on DVD. At least I get to skip one buying step by going from VHS directly to the remastered Trek on DVD.

The people that put out the products know who will be buying them. It's not the kids, it's the adults who have the money. So we're the most likely of targets as consumers.

Isn't it amazing the way they manage to keep repackaging the same stuff over and over again.

I am bummed about it but if I'm not mistaken it's not really Paramounts fault; (not that you said it was) they sold TOS boxsets before CBS took over and began re-mastering them.

What I do hold against Paramount is the shoddy treatment they gave the first boxset treatment; I've seen aired episodes which were 1000 cleaner than whatever set of prints they used to make the boxsets from.

For $100 a season we should have been given better quality images.

I really don't know if I'm going to cave and buy the remastered yet. :laugh: It seems so unimportant in light of other things going on today besides, everyone else in my family has finished with all the old Trek. They're not even interested in watching the remastered on TV so if I did buy em I'd be watching them all by myself. :laugh: