A l t e r E g o

Star Wars - The Original Release or

Which Is Your Favorite and Why?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Your Favorite and Why?

• The Original Release
    • The Special Edition
    • Both

I like the SE best, imo the added effects greatly enhanced the viewing with out taking anything away from the story. That's proof to me a TOS SE could be done with the same results. :)

Optional Questions:

When the Original trilogy is released on DVD do you think they should offer both versions or one or the other? I say both, choice is always better.

If they do offer both, should they cost the same? I say they should cost the same.

If they don’t offer the version you want will you buy them anyway? I’m not sure.

:)

They should offer both on the same disk. This had been done on DVDs of Doctor Who where you can either play with new CGI or as originally presented. However on these disks the CGI is considered an extra and you have to go to the extras screen to turn it on before selecting Play All. I think this is a good way to do this sort of thing.

If CGI was applied to TOS then I don't think I would buy the DVDs unless it was done in the same way described above. The reason I say this is because I can see beyond the effects on the show and think new effects would destract from the plot (or at least they would for me). However, if you had an option to turn them on or off then I would not care as people like me could watch without new effects, while others could watch episodes with new CGI.

:) I've never seen nor heard of em, The only SW's on DVD I have ever seen were episode's 1 and 2. You have store bought SE episode's 4,5 and 6 on DVD?

:) I've never seen nor heard of em, The only SW's on DVD I have ever seen were episode's 1 and 2. You have store bought SE episode's 4,5 and 6 on DVD?

Store Bought? No, they were given to me.

AE, in the whole time you've been at STF have you EVER known of VBG to actually BUY anything?!?!?!? :)

I voted for the originals. The CGI was really well done but I don't think it was necessary to do. I loved IV, V & VI when they were originally in the theatres and I have them on video as well. I do have the SE videos but I would rather watch the original. One thing I'd like to see removed from the SE is that scene that was added with Jabba the Hutt in episode IV. It just doesn't "look" right.

Hopefully they will have both versions on one DVD. I have a special edition version of Independence Day that has the theatrical release and the extended version and I also have the SE of Disney's Beauty and the Beast that has both versions on it.

Hey VBG. Did Ya Know That Those Are Bootleg Copies?

LucasFilm Hasn't Yet Officially Released The Original Star Wars Movies On DVD. :)

Anyway. I Love Both Versions And I'll Watch Both Any Day :(

So I Didn't Vote

When the Original trilogy is released on DVD do you think they should offer both versions or one or the other? I say both, choice is always better.

Lucas Has Already Stated That It Will Be The SE Only

One thing I'd like to see removed from the SE is that scene that was added with Jabba the Hutt in episode IV. It just doesn't "look" right.

I Read That They're Gonna "Fix" Jabba. Make Him Look Better In The DVD Version.

And Since That Scene Was Going To Be In The Movie In The First Place. I Welcome It. They Just Couldn't Finish It, Back In The Day.

Anyway. I Believe That It Was "First Contact"...Or Possibly "The Lost World"

That I First Saw A Trailer For The SE At.

I Was Sitting There In My Seat...Watching The Previews....When I Saw A TV Appear In The Middle Of The Screen. It Was Showing The Battle Yavin.

A Voice Came On "For Years, People Have Been Watching Star Wars Like This. If This Is The Only Way You've Seen It, Then You Haven't Seen It At All" As Soon As He Said That, The Battle Filled The Screen, And A Smile Came Up On My Face The Likes Of Which Would Scare The Joker.

I Didn't Care If It Was The SE or The OE. It Was Star Wars On The BigScreen And I Was Damn Well Gonna Go See Them. And I Did. It Was Awsome :(

:)

Hey VBG.  Did Ya Know That Those Are Bootleg Copies?

No comment :)

Ok, one comment... they have been released on Laser Disc and for someone with the right equiptment it isn't a big leap to DVD.

But as I said, they were given to me.

I would rather see the original rather then the SE though. The original is what I saw in the movies in 1977, 1982 and 1984 (I think those were the years) and those are the movies I grew up with. It seems like cheating on GL's part to go back and try to juice it up.

ive got both on video, but i do like the enhancements. so bring it on in any, i did vote SE though. i cant wait for episode III i love all the movies. i still dont understand why soo many dont like episode I, and II. i also lit up when i seen the coming attractions for the se in theatres, and seen them all the first day at the theatres. it was great to see them on the big screen like that again.

I voted for the se even though I like both versions but I have heard that when it comes out on dvd it will again be changed so that it will make more sence because ep 1 2 and 3

I have an older friend who absolutely hates the SE because for the same reason that many have. They like the original theatrical release they saw and blew their minds in 1977. I didn't get a chance to watch that version. The one I saw was the same movie, but it was on a small 6 inch screen except this time it had commercials. The other time I saw it was on vhs with loads of tracking problems. When the SE came out it was my opportunity to watch star wars on the big screen. And I do have a couple of nitpicks and pans (Greedo shooting first...blech.) But in addition I loved most of the additions (Jabba the Hutt and Solo walking on his tail.) So to me it wasn't a rehashing of old material but a second chance for a once in a life experience.

I voted for SE but with a catch.. I did not like the way that they aled Han Solo's killing of Greedo. It didnotok convincing and it was too c. i also think they changed a bit of Han's character by making him less ruthless.

SPECIAL EDITION! Especially Mos Eisley. It looked so much more active and chaotic in the SE while in the original, you would never think it was all that busy.