Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Arnold-Less 'Terminator' Coming Back

Arnold-Less 'Terminator' Coming Back

By Borys Kit

Reuters

LOS ANGELES (May 10) -- The Terminator is coming back.

A nascent film company has acquired the franchise rights to the popular movie series from producers Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna, intending to make a new trilogy. The deal is said to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

The Halcyon Co. -- a privately financed firm -- plans to begin immediate preproduction on "Terminator 4," with hopes that it will be ready for release in the first half of 2009.

The script, by John Brancato and Michael Ferris, was part of the transaction. No distributor is on board, or any talent.

Halcyon -- headed by advertising veteran Derek Anderson and "Cook-Off!" producer Victor Kubicek -- pursued the "Terminator" rights aggressively for several months, knowing that the series is one of the few recognizable properties out there not in the hands of a major studio. Halcyon also is concentrating on a merchandising and licensing push for the property.

The rights to "Terminator" have changed hands several times.

Kassar acted as an executive producer for 1991's "Terminator 2: Judgment day," and he and Vajna acquired interests from Gale Anne Hurd -- who produced the first one in 1984 and executive produced the second -- when the duo made 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines."

So...........Good idea or box office disaster?

I have mixed feelings, the only possible plot would be the Human victory over machines.

it's a great idea. The series doesn't need the Arnold crutch to lean on, and we will see if people like story or if they go only to see Arnold. I like the idea of a movie without him. From what I heard, they are planning a prequel movie set in the future with John leading the humans against the machines. Sounds good to me, it'd be neat if they ended the movie with John sending Kyle to the past

it's a great idea. The series doesn't need the Arnold crutch to lean on, and we will see if people like story or if they go only to see Arnold. I like the idea of a movie without him. From what I heard, they are planning a prequel movie set in the future with John leading the humans against the machines. Sounds good to me, it'd be neat if they ended the movie with John sending Kyle to the past

That sounds ok to me.

I always thought AhNold would be "Bach." However, if they have the other actors including John in it with a really strong story and great special effects, it could succeed imo.

Ahnold is already under contract for T4. Granted it will have to wait until his term as Governor is up but long intermissions didn't hurt T2 or T3. I just don't think there is enough story left for 3 more movies.

We have been waiting for the war against the machines for a long time now. We can wait another couple years for Ahnold to be available to do it right. I for one would like to see all the T-101s we have seen so far standing side-by-side, all with slightly different haircuts. :P