Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Nurse Chapel

Was Nurse Chapel a regular character on a par with Uhura and Chekov, or a glorified extra like Guinan and Barclay in TNG?

That is a difficult question to answer isn't it? I have always considered her a part of the Original cast. She is in all the Cast photos that I have seen..However isn't a regular cast member in every single episode?..A lot of the times Uhura, Sulu and Chekov didn't have a lot to do but they were in every episode..Even it's only in the background on the bridge..That's not the case with Chapel..She's not in every show..So I wouldn't consider her a regular character...Maybe a recurring regular character..They had a lot of those on DS9..

I wouldn't consider her a regular cast member..more of a recurring character, like Luwaxanna Troi. Chapel, originally, was written as a one shot deal for the episode where the Enterprise finds Roger Corby. Gene then wrote her in as a recurring character to keep the mistress happy (I don't think Gene and Majel were married yet at that time).

Though her screen time isn't on a par with the other main characters,I still consider Nurse Chapel a regular.Just because somebody isn't on every show,that doesn't mean their just window dressing or an extra.She appeared on no less than 18 TOS episodes,5 episodes of the animated series,and at least 2 of the feature films.The character also plays an important role in numerous of the TOS novels.And while,the novels and animated series are unofficial,they are important.Christine Chapel was definitely a regular. :)

I would say recurring Guest Star, much the way Garak or Nog were in the first few seasons of DS9. Had TOS continued past the third year she may have had a larger role but as it was I woudn't call her a regular.

She appeared on no less than 18 TOS episodes,5 episodes of the animated series,and at least 2 of the feature films.

The only movie where Christine Chapel actually has a role is TMP. Majel Barrett did make a short appearance in TVH, but she was more of an "extra" who spoke one line during the crisis scene at Starfleet Command. She did have a larger part in the movie, but most of it ended up on the cutting room floor, which didn't please Ms Barrett at all!

...isn't a regular cast member in every single episode?..A lot of the times Uhura, Sulu and Chekov didn't have a lot to do but they were in every episode..Even it's only in the background on the bridge.

Nope. Even the regs had time off. G. Takei, for example, was supposed to be in "Gamesters of Triskelion" and a couple of other eps, but his part(s) was/were given to Walter K. because Mr. Takei was elsewhere.

As to Christine - I suppose she's a recurring guest star - more than an extra, not quite a regular. She'll always be one of "the cast" to me, though.

...isn't a regular cast member in every single episode?..A lot of the times Uhura, Sulu and Chekov didn't have a lot to do but they were in every episode..Even it's only in the background on the bridge.

Nope. Even the regs had time off. G. Takei, for example, was supposed to be in "Gamesters of Triskelion" and a couple of other eps, but his part(s) was/were given to Walter K. because Mr. Takei was elsewhere.

That's true enough..George had a couple of episodes off while he was making 'The Green Berets' I think it was..I believe The Trouble with Tribbles was one of those he missed..I also think that Nichelle missed one or two as well..But I still consider them Regular cast members..I just have a hard time thinking of Chapel in the same way..79 episodes and she was only in what 18 of them?..Personally I like the character and wish more was done with her. Maybe if TOS went further than 3 years..

I just think that Recuring Guest Star best describes her role on TOS..

Nurse Chapel may not be a "Regular" of TOS but I would sat that Majel Barrett is a "Trek Regular" though. Seeing that her voice is the computer's voice for many of the computers and she was on at least 3 of the 5 series (4 of 6 if you count TAS).

Was Nurse Chapel a regular character on a par with Uhura and Chekov, or a glorified extra like Guinan and Barclay in TNG?

:) i think she was a regular. and besides she is one of my faves because she is so much like me.... her loving for spock is what makes us so very much alike! :) i know i am obsessed!

I'd say a regular, as she seemed to have some story lines on her own (love Spock) that wouldn't have been essential (or all that interesting) if she was a recurring minor character. However, she did have less of a part than the other regulars, so it's hard to pick...

Though her screen time isn't on a par with the other main characters,I still consider Nurse Chapel a regular.Just because somebody isn't on every show,that doesn't mean their just window dressing or an extra.She appeared on no less than 18 TOS episodes,5 episodes of the animated series,and at least 2 of the feature films.The character also plays an important role in numerous of the TOS novels.And while,the novels and animated series are unofficial,they are important.Christine Chapel was definitely a regular. :clap:

Christine Chapel may well have appeared in those shows,but compared with the other characters,that still is very little screen time....

In fact,when I picture the primary TOS characters I never really imagine Chapel or Yeoman Rand.... :lol:

I say she was a glorified extra...

Good minor character,though....

:dude: