• Are you kidding?
    • Are you ageist (judge people by age)?
    • Many 50 years olds are active and productive
    • 50 years olds have lots of good years remaining
    • 50 is the new 40 these days
    • Not sure (comment)
    • You can be old at any age (comment)
    • Other (comment)

In response to a comment in another thread, I'd like to know (I hope I want to know :blink: ) whether you think age 50 is old. Or does someone become old when they reach a higher age? I'll try a poll (if I can) but I'd like your thoughts also. It might also be interesting if you indicate your age, even if you put it within a range, say between 30 and 40 or younger than 40, etc.

So what do you think?

Moderator: I tried to post three more choices: can someone help add them? Thanks!

3. Not sure (comment)

4. You can be old at any age (comment)

5. Other (comment)

Until these three poll choices get added to the poll feel free to comment on them (Thanks)

Edited by Alterego

I'm two years away from 50. I don't think it's old at all. In fact, I think that 50 is the new 30. Just like some women prove that 60 is the new 40.

I tease my parents about being old all of the time, they are both 56 and that is the age you legally become a senior citizen. So, society labels people old in the mid 50s. Do I really consider being 50 old? No, I just joke about it and we all laugh. I can see my parents and they look great, age is only a number and it's all about how you feel.

As far as how old I am, I am 24 year old

I'm not too far from 50 myself, however, mentally I'm still 17. Does that count?...... :blink:

For some reason I couldn't vote in this poll.

I read the over 50 comment as well on another thread, my mom was in her 80's before she considered herself old.

But I have the opinion of a real expert - I recently tried to tell a three year old I was "old" and he didn't beleive me.

For some reason I couldn't vote in this poll.

I read the over 50 comment as well on another thread, my mom was in her 80's before she considered herself old.

But I have the opinion of a real expert - I recently tried to tell a three year old I was "old" and he didn't beleive me.

God Bless her. I personally think that "old" is a State of Mind. Like the old saying goes, you're as old as you feel. Somedays, I feel it, some I don't. I guess it depends on your mental state.

I'm not too far from 50 myself, however, mentally I'm still 17. Does that count?...... :blink:

You can call yourself a kid at heart, I'll just think of you as a juvinille deliquent. :(

Anyway, my mother is a few years over 50 and she's still stubborn. Actually, I think she's more outgoing now than when I was a kid.

I love Brent, although he is 23 years older than me!!!

But indeed I voted as the majority did, for me the 50 are the beginning of the old age.

I hope more people vote in this very unscientific poll.

I wonder what those voting thus far, especially those voting that 50 is old, think about the TNG episode Half a Life (starring David Ogden Stiers) concerning a planet (Kaelon II) where people commit a ritualistic suicide at age 60 rather than burden their children into caring for them as they grow infirm.

I'm 53. While I definitely don't feel as young as I used to, I don't feel like I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel either.

Let me put it this way, My mother is 36 and my dad 37.. I am 18... to me my parents are still young. But my grand mother who is 53 is old lol not saying its a bad thing I ahve alot of older friends... look at kor and Van Roy for instance lol

It really doesn't matter IMO. As long as you live a happy life and don't worry about who thinks you are "old" or what "old" even means, you'll feel better about it. If you are comfortable with yourself then that is what is important.

Let me put it this way, My mother is 36 and my dad 37.. I am 18... to me my parents are still young. But my grand mother who is 53 is old lol not saying its a bad thing I ahve alot of older friends... look at kor and Van Roy for instance lol

Yeah, even though I am old I'm handcuffed to an 18-year-old girl's bed.

Yeah, even though I am old I'm handcuffed to an 18-year-old girl's bed.

Oh you like it dont complain

It really doesn't matter IMO. As long as you live a happy life and don't worry about who thinks you are "old" or what "old" even means, you'll feel better about it. If you are comfortable with yourself then that is what is important.

I agree. However, since I have the maturity level of a 17 year old, I never feel old....... :blink:

i voted other, i feel that the age is all within you. You can be old at 18 or you can be old at 100, its all up to you.

Think about it, not that long ago, less than 100 years ago, 40 was old i mean really old. Its all about what society decides for us

I voted 'Yes, 50 is old'..That's how I feel these days..old..It is all about attitude..I'm 47 and I feel like my best years are behind me..I certainly believe that there are more years behind me than in front of me.. :blink:

I think people can be old and young at any age. Age is more a state of being than an actually number in my opinion. My grandfather never seems old to me, he's still active and out going, but I have an uncle who is only 40 and he is old as balls. His hair is gray, he's got tons of medical problems and doesn't do anything anymore.

Well, I guess that is true. Someday's with my hip the way it is... I can barly get out of bed in the morning and I get body aches from the anxiety attacks some days I feel like I am 50. Gary is in his 20s and hes got gray hairs (probably from all his kids) and somedays he feels 50 I guess it all depends casue somedays I feel like a 16 year old when I am with my son becasue he makes me feel alive and energized

50 is really old for most people but you may still have a lot of years remaining. I mean the Queen Mother, Strom Thurmond, and George Burns lived to be over 100.

Those are what I would call "exceptions to the rule".

50 is really old for most people but you may still have a lot of years remaining. I mean the Queen Mother, Strom Thurmond, and George Burns lived to be over 100.

Those are what I would call "exceptions to the rule".

lol i agree with that

It was kind of funny at first - but 50 isn't really old to most people - maybe to extremely young ones - but not most people.

I suppose that it depends upon your point of view. My kids think I am old.

I used to think that people my age were old when I was their age.

I don't even view 70 as old anymore. I know some people over 70 that are in far better shape than I am.

And I truly hate them all. :blink:

I say that as long as you stay young at heart, you will never be old...Take Kor for example: when I first starting talking to him I thought he was my age, maybe a few years older...20 tops. Actually he's like 50 or around there, but you would never know it, and even though I always refer to him as a creepy, old man, he isn't old in the slightest...or creepy for that matter too.

50 is the new 40 these days. It may be an 'old' saying but it's true: "You're as old as you feel" and maybe act.