Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Woman Dies On Flight, Gets Upgraded

Woman Dies on Flight, Gets Upgraded

Reuters

LONDON (March 19) -- A passenger in first class woke up to a shock when he found himself sitting near a corpse on a British Airways flight, British newspapers reported on Monday.

Paul Trinder , 54, said cabin crew moved the body of the elderly woman from the economy section where she had died after take-off, the Mirror and Sun tabloids said.

"The corpse was strapped into the seat but because of turbulence it kept slipping down on to the floor," Trinder , a businessman, was quoted as saying. "It was horrific. The body had to be wedged in place with lots of pillows."

The woman's daughter was also upgraded and spent the rest of the nine-hour flight from Delhi to London grieving next to her dead mother, the Sun reported.

The Guardian newspaper said the incident happened last week.

British Airways has apologised for any distress suffered, according to the reports. The Mirror quoted BA as saying: "We apologize, but our crew were working in difficult circumstances and chose the option they thought would cause least disruption."

:mad1:

I don't know exactly what the airplane crew could have done but I do know that strapping a corpse into a first class seat was NOT the right thing to do! How ridiculous!

And I suppose putting the corpse in a freezer would have been a better option. Its a nine hour flight- And I'm sure that it would have been an inconvience to everyone if the landed as well.

I think they did what they thought was right.

Anyone remember the movie Weekend at Bernies? or the original Vacation?

Yeah! Thats exactly what this article reminded me of..... :mad1:

I've heard stories about something like this happening before.

I just hope it never happens to me or anyone that I know.

And I suppose putting the corpse in a freezer would have been a better option. Its a nine hour flight- And I'm sure that it would have been an inconvience to everyone if the landed as well.

I suppose you would have no problem sitting next to a corpse during a flight then?..... :)

A freezer? I doubt they have freezers that size on an airplane.

If it were my decision, I would have secured the corpse in one of the first class restrooms. There are usually 2 restrooms there and there are also 2 restrooms in economy class. The inconvienience would be minimal and the passengers wouldn't have to SPEND A 9 HOUR FLIGHT SITTING NEXT TO A CORPSE!!!..... :mad1:

Well, it was the daughter that was next to the corpse - and apparently her wailing was quite disturbing.

Truthfully, there was no good solution, someone was going to be inconvenienced. I understand people in first class pay more so they expect that others should be inconvenienced - not them.

I think perhaps they should have put the body in the stewardess section - they usually have seats there.

I suppose you would have no problem sitting next to a corpse during a flight then?..... ;)

A freezer? I doubt they have freezers that size on an airplane.

If it were my decision, I would have secured the corpse in one of the first class restrooms. There are usually 2 restrooms there and there are also 2 restrooms in economy class. The inconvienience would be minimal and the passengers wouldn't have to SPEND A 9 HOUR FLIGHT SITTING NEXT TO A CORPSE!!!..... :dude:

Would you want your mother locked in a toilet?

I think they did the right thing. Bathrooms happen to be inside locking and therefore the womans remains would have continually fallen out. Its a pity that there are no contingencies planned for, but really who would expect it. They did the right thing, in a bad situation. They put her in a place where, presumably after resus attempts had failed, there were fewer passangers.

This should never have made the papers. But it shows the will whinge and complain, will whinge and complain attitude overides the sane and proper response of respect for the grievig family.

They guy is more than likely trying to bag a free flight out of BA (The great British way I am afraid, that is my personal experience after working i the consumer field here.)