Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

IGN Says Star Trek XI Not About Starfleet Academy

According to IGN, Star Trek XI will be more of a "first adventure" for young Kirk and Spock rather than their first meeting at Starfleet Academy. According to the site's insiders, though fans may see some scenes at Starfleet Academy (and possibly their first meeting there) as part of the overall story, Star Trek XI will instead explore their first mission in space together.

Sources advised IGN that the plot will focus more on the new Kirk and Spock than the other characters (with McCoy being more of a supporting role) and that soundstages on the Paramount lot will start being reserved starting in May.

One IGN source claims there is a reason why the Starfleet Academy idea won't be central to the film: former Star Trek producer Harve Bennett. The site's sources report that, since the Starfleet Academy idea was Bennett's and has been kicked around for so long without success, Paramount and Star Trek XI producer/director J.J. Abrams are going in the "first adventure" direction.

IGN also posted an update on the latest casting rumors. Repeated inquiries for confirmation or denial to Matt Damon's reps at Endeavor and to Adrian Brody and Gary Sinise's at CAA have gone unanswered.

All this information is preliminary, of course, and entirely rumor.

I miss Harve Bennett. After he left, the movies went downhill somewhat. He made a great contribution to Trek and he rarely gets any mention of it.

I've also heard rumors that the plot will be about the early adventures of Enterprise under Kirk. Has anyone heard anything on whether Abrams and co. will be using any of the stuff from Vonda McIntyre's "Enterprise: The First Adventure" as canon? If not, they could have some seriously bad continuity problems, because I think Vonda nailed Kirk's commission to Enterprise pretty well in that. Another "first adventure" would be like rewriting something that's already been written pretty well, in my opinion, anyway. I remember reading somewhere that the producers of Trek films and series didn't use the novels as part of the canon or continuity unless they were the telenovels of the books and shows. This could be really problematic.

ducky

-biting my nails and hoping we don't face a huge disappointment...

I seriously doubt that Abrams is going to take anything from the novels for his script.

I seriously doubt that Abrams is going to take anything from the novels for his script.

I agree. I think that they're going strictly "original" on this one.

this better not be another nemisis where someone important dies off.

Well, since this is going back to the beginning of the franchise, I can't see how they could possibly kill anyone off.

this better not be another nemisis where someone important dies off.

Well, since this is going back to the beginning of the franchise, I can't see how they could possibly kill anyone off.

Agreed. I think that, if anything, the writers will be staying true to Trek Lore and keeping the storyline intact.

Which means not killing anyone off early. And I read where the writers are already talking about a sequel.