Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Tragic (Spoilers Allowed on All Series)

which Star Trek character do you think had the worst run of bad luck out of all of the series? Out of all of the characters I can think of, I think that Charles "Trip" Tucker had it the worst. Besides what happened to him on the final episode, he also lost a sister and daughter. He was also wounded badly and had to have a clone made of him just so he could have organ replacement.

Who do you think makes the list of the mostly unlucky, tragic Star Trek character?

Well......Spock...uh......DIED......but he came back to life so I guess he made out alright.. :blink:

If you are talking about strictly major characters, I agree with you. Trip had it the worst. Thinking about some of the minor characters or guest stars from some of the series, they might have him beat. Especially all of those poor crewmen that got assimilated by the Borg. That, I believe, is a fate worse than death.

Kirk comes close, though. He lost his brother, sister-in-law, nephew and his son. Then he got killed on some backwater planet and had to endure actually being buried there by that idiot Picard rather than put in stasis and brought back home for a hero's funeral.

that idiot Picard

WHAT! How can anyone say that! Picard is not an idiot but he is my choice.

Let's look at the evidence:

He was assimilated.

His entire family was killed in a fire.

One of his closest friends was killed because of his clone who was trying to kill him and destroy Earth.

Was stabbed through the heart by a Nausican and needed a bionic one.

And last but not least had to endure Q.

I rest my case.

that idiot Picard

WHAT! How can anyone say that! Picard is not an idiot but he is my choice.

Let's look at the evidence:

He was assimilated.

His entire family was killed in a fire.

One of his closest friends was killed because of his clone who was trying to kill him and destroy Earth.

Was stabbed through the heart by a Nausican and needed a bionic one.

And last but not least had to endure Q.

I rest my case.

All good points EXCEPT........Picard is still alive and Trip and Kirk are dead. If Picard went through all that and also died, I would agree with you that he would win. But since he's still alive, Kirk and Tripp are still ahead IMO.

I always felt bad for Harry Kim. He never got promoted at all in the series, was killed in one timeline, woke up home with his girlfriend and had to leave her again, and also saw the whole crew die except him and Chakotay in another timeline.

and the other voyager's harry died as well, you make a good point. But the fact Picard is alive make's him even more tragic. He has to live on with all the stuff he went through. Trip's life only went down the pooper when he served aboard Enterprise only ten years versus how long was picard in star fleet. Also Kirk spent about 70 years in a plane of existance of pure joy and pleasure. Picard only spent about 20 minutes there.

I never actually answered the question - I merely pointed out Mr. Psychic had omitted one of Harry's trials - and source of one of my favorite quotes "we're starfleet officers, wierd is part of the job".

And that is really true and in that sense "tragic" or bad luck regarding a star fleet officer is a relative term. Sure Picard had personal heartache BUT he was also the the captain of the Federation's flagship. Everyone that was a star fleet officer had achieved and experienced more good than the average person. They all demonstrated the ability to achieve, in fact excel in life even in adversity. Trip, Harry, Picard they all saw and did extraordinary things.

Tragic, IMO, is someone who is unable to overcome their circumstances or they are victimized by circumstances beyond their control. Helplessness, IMO, is a hallmark of tragic.

In that light I would say Zyal (spelling?) was definitely tragic. She was born of a union that made her an outcast in both her parents worlds. She had no control over the acts of her parents; but that didn't stop her from being murdered because of who she was.

I wouldnt' begin to try to quantify being lucky based on how many loved ones you lost - you just can't do that.

But I would say Mayweather's lack of screen time was bad luck. :)

Another tragic figure that comes to mind is Tom Riker. This poor guy tried to make a life for himself but just couldn't overcome the shadow of the almighty Will Riker. They've never mentioned it but I wonder how long he sat in a Cardassian prison being regularly tortured until they finally killed him?

I don't really like the character but I think Tasha Yar would qualify. She grew up on a planet that was in total chaos, had to protect herself and her sister from the "rape gangs", had to put up with that sister, died young, comes back in an alternate reality situation and is killed again because of her big mouth daughter who was fathered by a Romulan.