Are you prepared

Do you have a 72 hour kit?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a 72 hour kit?

• Yes
    • No
    • A What?
    • I have a jug of water and and pop top can of tuna

Here in hurricane season we always get the warnings to prepare early - because of course at the last minute there will be no more jugs of water in the store.

People are advised to have an accessible, mobile kit prepared which includes food & water, medicines, for all family members for three days. The list gets long and will vary depending on where you live. Thermal blankets aren't so necessary here but bug repellent is.

When I lived in snow country I kept an emergency kit in my car which had one of those thermal blanket and chemical hand warmers (also a good idea to keep kitty litter in your trunk in case you get stuck in the snow & also a shovel)

Now I keep water in my car.

But if your power went out for the next 24 hours could you sustain yourself and your family with what you have on hand? I was without power for a couple of days once because of a freak Oct snowstorm that broke all the branches off the trees and downed power lines.

I am totally unprepared for a major disaster.Though,short of Kim Il-Jung launching North Korean nukes at central California,I can't say a major disaster is very likely.Fresno is,perhaps,the most geologically stable region of the state(very few quakes,and those tend to be minor).As for bad weather,we just don't get it as intense as you folks down south and back east.I can remember big storms in Louisiana and I have to laugh when somebody here in Fresno complains about the little cloudbursts we get on occasion. B)

I wouldn't call it a "kit" that I have but I have all the things I would need. Where I live the power used to go out at the drop of a hat so I got used to that. I even have a power generator that will power a TV, lamps, fans my Computer or whatever I hook up to it.

I am totally unprepared for a major disaster.Though,short of Kim Il-Jung launching North Korean nukes at central California,I can't say a major disaster is very likely.Fresno is,perhaps,the most geologically stable region of the state(very few quakes,and those tend to be minor).As for bad weather,we just don't get it as intense as you folks down south and back east.I can remember big storms in Louisiana and I have to laugh when somebody here in Fresno complains about the little cloudbursts we get on occasion. B)

I actually experienced an earthquake in Fresno once. It was minor.

Yess...and no. We have what we need, but it is not all together. I have gone through tropical storms, and sideswiping hurricanes such as Floyd and Irene(true Irene was west coast of Florida, but we got the wind and rain). Of my family, I am the only one who constantly keeps getting updates on storms(actually I feel that tropical cyclones are really rather fascinating, even still kinda want to be a storm chaser. Would love to go on a reconisance flight to check out ahurricane)

I have everything that I would need if we have a deep freeze or a tornado. But as for any other kind of disaster I don't really think anything anyone can be fully prepared for what can happen during a crisis.

Not really...

I'm more prepare for winter desaster.. Especially with a major ice storm we got 5-6 years ago...

But for a tornado.. Must say we don't get those here

Being the hurricane and storm junkie that I am, I always have the things needed. When the hurricanes are reported to be heading in my direction I get out the flashlights, the candles, the portable radio, the jugs of water, and of course I go buy a couple of cases of beer for the party as the storm passes over!Lager%20Louts.gif

I use to be a Boy Scout so I'm always prepared!Chair%20Fall.gif

*cough, cough* duct tape and plastic sheeting-- terror... *cough*

I bought duct tape for use in kayak repair.

In DC, anyways, we wouldn't get away in time.

Well, at least we don't worry about hurricanes... :)

I used to live in Japan, and I had several emergency kits. I kept one at home (in a

backpack in case I needed to vacate the house), and one in my office. Nearly everyone else had an "earthquake kit" as well since earthquakes were a part of life, and nobobody could predict the next major one.

My family is more than adequately prepared for almost any disaster.

We have livestock (some of which we do raise for food)

We have large gardens and grow a good variety of produce,which we pickle and can,and sell....

My mother and sisters can make clothes,and often do make shirts and jeans and coats,etc to give as gifts during the holidays and birthdays...

We're all fairly good fishermen and hunters,so that's no problem,either...

we have pantrys and a root celler stuffed with food and bottled water...

My sister Becky is a RN,and we have a more complete first aid kit than most folks,I guess (including sterile stitch kits,and other odds and ends Becky filtched from the supply closets at work)....

We're good to go :clap:

Edited by admiralpeewee

the only thing us Aussies have to worry about is a asteriod hitting the earth :clap: (good luck in the coming season)