• North by Northwest
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • The Big Sleep (1946)
    • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    • Ben Hur (1959)
    • Star Wars
    • Stagecoach
    • Kind Hearts and Coronets

This is my top ten list and I was wondering which you think is the best film. Personally I believe Lawrence of Arabia to be the greatest, it has some stunning shots and is an interesting character study of a very complex man.

My top twenty are as follows:

1. Lawrence of Arabia

2. Citizen Kane

3. Vertigo

4. The Godfather

5. Bridge on the River Kwai

6. Great Expectations (1946)

7. Hamlet (1948)

8. Shindler’s List

9. Psycho (1960)

10. High Noon

11. Rear Window

12. The Ladykillers

13. North by Northwest

14. 2001: A Space Odyssey

15. The Big Sleep (1946)

16. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

17. Ben Hur (1959)

18. Star Wars

19. Stagecoach

20. Kind Hearts and Coronets

I've always love Bridge Over the River Kwai. And Star Wars. (Sir Alec Guiness rocks! Lol.)

I haven't seen very many of the other ones though. Should go rent some. I've seen alot of old movies, but I still haven't even seen Casablaca. I want to rent that.

I've always love Bridge Over the River Kwai. And Star Wars. (Sir Alec Guiness rocks! Lol.)

Sir Alec is my all-time favourite actor and appears heavily in my list, not because I am being bias but because the films that he is in are considered to be classics not only by myself, but by film critics in general. I also like John Mills.

Does anyone else agree that Shindler’s List was the last great classic that I believe will stand the test of time.

Ben Hur...

Note to Poster: To get an affective number, you might want fewer choices. Also, aren't these movies a little old, I know most of them becuase I like classic movies, but would others?

To others: Never knew that 2001: ASO. was turned into a movie, I gotta check it out sometime. :)

Of those I have only seen Star Wars, 2001, and Psycho. And I must say, where is at least ONE Star Trek movie? TWOK was fantastic! It had great acting in it. Star Wars (imo) didn't, but it was still good. I feel that some ST should be on there. But hey, it's your list.

P.S. the other 2 that I have seen from that list are TRUE classics! I feel that jaws might be equal to psycho though.

From that list I have to say Star Wars without a doubt. :)

And I must say, where is at least ONE Star Trek movie? TWOK was fantastic! It had great acting in it. Star Wars (imo) didn't, but it was still good. I feel that some ST should be on there. But hey, it's your list.

I figured that's just cause we've already had so many what's your favorite trek movie threads.

There are alot of Film's that are alot better than the one's on that list,but off the list I have gone for The Godfather.

Wow, you have quite a taste in classical movies. Psycho, N X NW, Vertigo, Rear Window - love Hitchcock? (So do I - no complaints!)

I agree that Jaws rates up there. Citizen Kane is still considered the best movie ever made. (And War of the Worlds is still considered the best radio broadcast ever made - there'll never be another Mr. Welles.) IMO, no one has ever made a Western better than High Noon, or a mob movie better than Godfather, or a scifi movie better than SW. (TWOK is still my fave, though.)

Out of that list, though, the best is probably Citizen Kane. My fave is either High Noon or Rear Window. It's too bad they don't make many classic movies anymore. (not NONE...just not MANY)

Sir Alec is my all-time favourite actor and appears heavily in my list, not because I am being bias but because the films that he is in are considered to be classics not only by myself, but by film critics in general. I also like John Mills.

Does anyone else agree that Shindler’s List was the last great classic that I believe will stand the test of time.

"Schindler's List" the last classic? While I do not deny it is a classic, I would give the title to "Spiderman". Of course, I grew up reading the comic, so I am very partial to the story. (and it was tremendously well done)

BTW, I picked "Star Wars" from the list. I still have not forgiven the Academy Awards for picking annie hall* over "Star Wars".

*lower case inserted intentionally. I HATE Woody Allen! :bow:

I chose The Color Purple.I also like,the movie Sounder.Oh,and The Wiz with Deanna Ross and Nipsy Russell.I saw that on Broadway in '78.Glory is also good.I just about like everything that Morgan Freeman,or Oprah Winfrey star in.

I chose The Color Purple.I also like,the movie Sounder.Oh,and The Wiz with Deanna Ross and Nipsy Russell.I saw that on Broadway in '78.Glory is also good.I just about like everything that Morgan Freeman,or Oprah Winfrey star in.

I agree about Morgan Freeman. I have never seen a movie he was in that I did not at least enjoy his performance.

IMO, the only good movie Oprah was in WAS "The Color Purple".

While we are on the topic of black actors, I would also mention Samuel L. Jackson. To truly appreciate how good he is, I would recommend "Deep Blue Sea". He only had a supporting role, but he played it magnificently.

I agree about Morgan Freeman. I have never seen a movie he was in that I did not at least enjoy his performance.

IMO, the only good movie Oprah was in WAS "The Color Purple".

While we are on the topic of black actors, I would also mention Samuel L. Jackson. To truly appreciate how good he is, I would recommend "Deep Blue Sea". He only had a supporting role, but he played it magnificently.

Sam's also great in Unbreakable with Bruce Willis,and Star Wars as Mace Windu!

:blink:

I picked Ben Hur and the quest for vengeance. But my favorite movie is a (real,real,real) old Ronald Reagan film called King's Row. It's not a great film, but it speaks clearly and reverently about the problems of "modern" life, and how caring friends and loved ones make the difference in one's success in life after setbacks and failures.