Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Weekly Star Trek Fan Chat

Hello Star Trek fans!! :laugh:

Our last officially scheduled chat room session had a surprisingly high turn out. So it is clear that there is still a demand for having these kinds of sessions at StarTrekFans.net. (Despite claims to the contrary, STF is not completely dead. What is needed is an increase in the promotion of such activities as this.)

Assuming that the demand is roughly identical as the previous chat, I would like to suggest that we have a weekly or biweekly chat room session of similar style or structure as the last..

Since the last chat worked out so well...It might be best to have them Saturdays at 6 PM ET.

Themed Chats? --- Secondary Proposal

One thing that is needed is to keep these kinds of chats fresh and new. One possibility is for each chat to have a special "guest speaker." In our New Year Chat, Picard served this function. He brought along some jokes to share with all of us. Perhaps each (bi)week's "guest speaker" (or "leader") can do something similar. Not necessarily jokes..... It can be interesting news bits or facts. Or some trivia. Or some other type of game. ---- But as long as these don't completely take over the entire session...to allow a "free-for-all" kind of session to still exist.

Other possibilities include themed chats. Or who knows what else! You guys can think of it.

Having this kind of regularly scheduled (periodic) chat has advantages to the "randomly" scheduled chats that pop up suddenly. So I think it is a good idea. How about you?

I am throwing this up in the air. But you guys have to catch it and run off with this.

While I have been on a small hiatus, I am slowly fazing back into the Trek Universe....But I will be still be on-and-off. This is why you guys need to help make this chat operation run. (E.g., figure out when the first session will take place, who will be the "leader" or "guest speaker" for this or that chat, etc.)

So how about it...?

Iam open for it seeing i have every other

weekend off. hopefully if we can do it

it"s my weekend off.

That sounds like a great idea. I miss chatting with everyone. Whenever I enter the chat room, it's always just me talking to myself. As far as a themed chat or whatnot, the idea sounds good to me, I'll be happy as long as someone else is in the room with me.

YES! I would definitely be interested in either weekly or biweekly chat.

The idea of themes sounds interesting. It could be Trek related perhaps maybe with trivia or with a movie or series theme perhaps (everybody bring in a favorite quote) or maybe movie discussion - not necessarily Trek but maybe movie franchises, sci fi, or movies in general.

Maybe a travel discussion theme - since Trek explores the galaxy. Or even music discussion - classic 60's per TOS era, 70's. 80's., etc. I liked the bring a Star Trek delicacy idea to the last chat.

Who else has suggestions?

6 PM ET on Saturday's sounds like a good starting point to me.

I agree with Kor that if possible it would be nice to have some chats that did give those in Europe and in Australia a chance to chat. Also it there are any regular times that folks in the UK/Ireland/Europe or Australia do come on the site, perhaps some of the night owls in the US and Canada might be around to chat too if we knew your schedule :laugh: I for one do not want to leave you guys out if some kind of occasional chat can be worked out, even if it's just a few of us.

Edited by trekz

It's six o'clock for the US east coast, right? Just checking on that. Saturday at six, should work for me if that's when it is. Ugh, but it's Saturday....that's my night. Oh well, I would almost rather have a nice trek chat.

tell me what time this post has on the top where it says time posted. its 1853 here now

18:53 your time equals 3:53 eastern standard time. Therefore the chat time for you would be 0900 Sunday morning!

Edited by Kor37

Should these sessions be weekly or biweekly? (I believe it should be the former versus the latter.)

Should the first session be this weekend?

Who (if there should be one) will be the "guest speaker"?...

...If it is okay with Odo, I will voluntary him....since he was the first to reply.

When we get these basic details worked out, then we shall send out a mass email.

Once we start these, we need to promote them!

Let's have a high turn out, like our last chat.

And let's try to keep a high turn out by making these chats fresh and fun.

But to make these a success will depend on all of you.

4pm/Eastern might be a good time. It is a bit late in Europe (maybe not for a weekend) but at least those in Australia and NZ would be up.

1pm/West

3pm/Central

4pm/Eastern

9pm/UK

10pm/Germany

8am/Sydney

10am/Wellington

Bi-weekly or monthly would prob. be good. Keep it fresh.

Edited by athena28

And let's try to keep a high turn out by making these chats fresh and fun.

Keep it fresh.

So are you guys saying we get to act fresh during the chat? :laugh:

But seriously folks!

This Saturday would work for me. 6 PM would work as would 4 PM.

This site has been redone since the last time I was here (aka. a few months ago), how do I get into the chat room? I can't seem to find the link. I might just be blind or an idiot, but if you could help me out, that would be great.

Directly underneath the banners on the home page is a link called "live chat". That will get you in. Hope to see you there Saturday!

I think tomorrow would be fine.

As for our friends across the great waters

Maybe we could set up a different time to suit them.

As some of us are night owls. I know we would

happliy join them. And renew old friendships

and create new ones. As this is my weekend off.

If we have it every other weekend.

I can make it almost all the time (i work midnights )

So on the other weekend me sleeping.

Master_q

thank you for the offer to be guest speaker.

I have nothing in mind at this time but will come

up with something.

Searching old earth archives found a drink called

Beer (budweiser) will make that and bring it. :laugh: :beer: :elephant:

Edited by Odo

Next Chat, Next Week?

AE, if people seem to be okay with this, could you please send out a mass email a day or two before? Thank you, sir!

i'm in the chatroom now. musta missed u guys by a matter of minutes. By the way Queensland does not have daylight savings so we are an hour ahead of sydney at this time. but thanks

Edited by jadziaezri

Sure thing, MQ!

If anyone with SNs near the front of the alphabet, (alphabetically is how the emails are sent) doesn't get an email by Friday noon at the latest, please drop me a quick reminder pm.

As one of few people that attended. I throughly enjoyed the chat, even though trek wasn't discuss as much as it probably should have been. I think we should have another one sometime soon. Maybe even this Saturday...

In the past when we had guest interviews, a log of the interview was posted so that people who were unable to take part in te interview could still find out what went on.

Is is possible to post the log of the sessions as was done with interviews in the past?

This chat just going to me, eh?

The only way this will work is with your help. (I am not going to constantly promote these chats. All of you need to help me with that. It is a group effort.)