Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

World's Smallest Country Up For Sale

World's Smallest Country Up for Sale

By Paul Majendie

Reuters

LONDON, Jan 8 (Jan. 9) - For sale: the world's smallest country with its own flag, stamps, currency and passports.

Apply to Prince Michael of Sealand if you want to run your own nation, even if it is just a wartime fort perched on two concrete towers in the North Sea.

Built in World War Two as an anti-aircraft base to repel German bombers, the derelict platform was taken over 40 years ago by retired army major Paddy Roy Bates who went to live there with his family.

He declared the platform, perched seven miles off the east coast of England and just outside Britain's territorial waters, to be the principality of Sealand.

The self-styled Prince Roy adopted a flag, chose a national anthem and minted silver and gold coins.

The family saw off an attempt by Britain's Royal Navy to evict them and also an attempt in 1978 by a group of German and Dutch businessmen to seize Sealand by force.

Roy, 85, now lives in Spain and his son Michael told BBC Radio on Monday his family had been approached by estate agents with clients "who wanted a bit more than a bit of real estate, they wanted autonomy."

He suggested Sealand, which has eight rooms in each tower, could be a base for online gambling or offshore banking.

Asked to describe the delights of living on what he described as a cross between a house and a ship, the 54-year-old said: "The neighbors are very quiet. There is a good sea view."

What do you all think? We could all pitch in. I have a few bucks in my pocket. We could call it StarTrekfanszania!!! :yucky:

Count me in, owning your own country, making your own laws and doing what you wish who could ask for anything more. By the way is there a price tag on this piece of land.

Just imagine if we could pool money and buy the place! We could have stamps and money printed that would be sought after by collectors, have a broadcasting presence (with lots of Trek related content, etc. It could even eventually be a money maker. And of course a special Trek National Anthem!

Edited by trekz

Just imagine if we could pool money and buy the place! We could have stamps and money printed that would be sought after by collectors, have a broadcasting presence (with lots of Trek related content, etc. It could even eventually be a money maker. And of course a special Trek National Anthem!

Good ideas! Would the music of the National Anthem be the music from one of the series? If so, which one?

Of course the money would have all of the Trek captains on them as well as the stamps1.. :yucky:

So what would we call this new country?

"The Neutral Zone"

"Kronos" :yucky:

"The Continuum"

or

"Risa" :clap::clap:

What? You don't like my earlier suggestion of Startrekfanszania???....... :clap:

Actually, Risa sounds pretty nice for a country!... :clap:

I'd pitch in. For the flag, why not use the Terran Empire flag? It would pretty cool saluting that, plus it would confuse other nations even more. One thing I noticed is that the Germans failed to take it by force in 1978... jeez, after WWII, they can't wage war on anything...

So what would be the chief export of our country of Risa? I know! We could get licensed by Paramount and export Trek collectibles all over the world!.. :yucky:

So what would be the chief export of our country of Risa? I know! We could get licensed by Paramount and export Trek collectibles all over the world!.. :yucky:

The license itself would probably cost more than our little country

Its not much room, thats true. If it would help, I'll be happy to share a room with Vulcan _Lover.......... :laugh:

Edited by Kor37

Wait, that thing in the water is the entire country? My house is bigger than that. And besides, it looks dirty....but there would be no point in cleaning it if Kor were there...he's a dirty old man.

Kor, I would gladly share my room with you...hehe

Yup, that's it. That's the entire country - and if you think it is dirty that picture was taken *before* the fire.

Depending on how you interpret international law it may or may not be an actual nation, which means you may or may not be able to buy the country itself. You can, however, buy the building itself and the "land" which extends 3 nautical miles from the structure itself.

They have their own flag, coat of arms, constitution, passport, and currency (pegged to the US Dollar). In 1967-8 they successfully fought an invasion by the Brittish Navy. In 1978 they had an attempted coup.

The total population is less than 10.

I just read an article about this place. It's not a country. It currently has a population of One. One person lives there. And he sounds like he is slightly crazy. Oh, and I saw pictures from after the fire....bad place. The whole thing basically burned since they didn't have their own fire department since the place is too small to house one.

Correction: Sealand actually extends 12 nautical miles beyond the platform.

(It was actually a sneaky move. Brittain was about to extend their own seaspace to 12 miles beyond it's coast, which would include at least part of Sealand, only the day before Parliament voted Sealand did the same. That created a territorial dispute between Sealand and Brittain. A Brittish court ruled in Sealand's favor thus giving the fledging principality at least some recognition by the Brittish government.)

The problem with a US citizen accepting a noble title from another government is the Constitution says Congress must vote for it.