Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Group Dog Wedding Nixed On Cruely Grounds

Group Dog Wedding Nixed on Cruelty Grounds

Reuters

NEW DELHI (Dec. 17)- A Hindu wedding ceremony of 18 dogs has been called off in India after hardline religious groups and animal rights activists said it was a mockery of the religion and cruel to the canines, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

The marriage of nine dogs to nine (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)es to promote canine culture was expected to take place on Sunday in the northwestern town of Jaipur, the Times of India reported.

But the wedding which, according to Hindu rituals involves sitting in front of a sacred fire and exchanging flower garlands, was canceled after groups including People for Animals (PFA) criticized the event.

The marriage would also have included a procession and a huge feast with a special dance party. Event management company B Positive and the Pink City Canine Club were organizing the spectacle.

"In my opinion, marriage of dogs is cruelty on animals," the newspaper quoted the PFA's chairman Naresh Kadyan as saying.

"People hold the front legs of the dogs against their will and force them to dance, which is cruel. The lights, noise, sound used in these kinds of events also hurt them."

The organizers said they were sorry for hurting people's sentiments but added they still planned to go ahead with the other events, including a beauty pageant for "unmarried dogs."

There are SO many more grounds upon which this "event" should have been cancelled.......idiocy, lunacy, out of touch with reality...........the list goes on and on........ :assimilated:

This is India. Their culture is extremely different from ours. To judge another culture by our standards is wrong IMHO. They may find some of our cultural traditions are idiocy, lunacy, out of touch with reality. Of course the list does go on.

Well, there are cultural differences but some things are much more than cultural differences - and weddings among dogs - well that' pretty out there - so unlike the Halloween costume contests for dogs in America :assimilated:

LOL to both Van Roy and TUH.

I also heard in India a woman married a cobra, said serpent being believed responsible for curing the woman of her insufferable headaches (and no, by that I do NOT mean it bit her late husband!) The groom was not present at the ceremony.

I've actually seen video of Americans who have wedding ceremonies for their pets, complete with wedding gowns and tuxedos for the dogs. Honestly, it just sickens me. It's absolutely disgusting how the same people who marry their (I'm trying to misspell a badword but can't)en pets say gays shouldn't marry. I know it's not quite the same, but people's narrow minds translates across the board.

You're right Mr. Psychic - it is not even remotely the same thing - people that have wedding ceremonies for dogs (or Costume contests etc) are just wasting time and money and possibly irritating their pets - there is not even the remotest suggesting of legality - yet. I have a co-worker who swears her dog likes to get dressed up - but I don't buy it.

But if you want to use this for political statements --- what I find sad about the entire thing is that we have thousands of children in this country in dire need of loving families, others eating dried cereal off the floor in dirty diapers while crackhead parents lay passed out on the couch, others living in shelters or on the streets because their parents lost their jobs and then we have these pathetic individuals who buy toys, clothes, spa treatments and diet food for their pets (I'm not talking about the chew toy and collar crowd). Some pets will be getting more Christmas presents than many children in this country - not to mention better health care and that sickens me - so there's my political rant.