Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

"Bong hist for Jesus" goes to Supreme Court

cnn

The student was suspended for violating the school's anti-drug program by using the word Bong in a banner. The argument centers on whether they were attending a school function. They were watching the olympic torch runner on a public street. It's actually quite boring but the title gets your attention.

IMO, if they were truly released early from school and were free to go home, to a burger joint, or the torch run then they weren't at a school function - even with the presence of a teacher. But it they were on a "field trip" to the event with teacher supervision and especially if they were returning to campus (I said if because I don't know) then it would be a school function.

Like I said, law can really be quite boring - pages and pages of legal argument over what is and isn't a "school function"

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

According to an Associated Press report, [Keneth] Starr is handling the case free of charge.

Holy Hell, there is a God! :assimilated:

:P

Seriously, though, the article simply isn't clear. It says that students had been let out of classes, which implies that it was not a school function, yet in the same sentence it says that the students were accompanied by teachers, which usually does imply a school function. If this was considered a field trip, why didn't they just say that? Also, just because teachers accompanied the students does not mean that they were there in an official manner. I'm sure that there were teachers who wanted to watch the ceremony just as much as the students did.

I wouldn't be surprised if school officials had even given any thought on whether or not it was a school function until after the suit was filed.

Edited by WishfireOmega