Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Fast Food Run on Zamboni gets 2 workers fired

Fast-Food Run on Zambonis Gets Workers Fired

By JOHN MILLER, AP

AP: Authorities say the two Zambonis were driven about a mile-and-a-half to the Burger King and back.

BOISE, Idaho (Nov. 22) - Two employees of the city's ice skating rink have been fired for making a midnight fast-food run in a pair of Zambonis.

An anonymous tipster reported seeing the two big ice-resurfacing machines chug through a Burger King drive-through and return to the rink around 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 10. The squat, rubber-tired vehicles, which have a top speed of about 5 mph, drove 1 1/2 miles in all.

The Zamboni operators, both temporary city employees whose names and ages were not released by Parks and Recreation Department, had to negotiate at least one intersection with a traffic light on their late-night creep from Idaho Ice World.

"They were fired immediately," said Parks Department Director Jim Hall. "We're pretty sure it was just the one time. When we interviewed them, they didn't seem to be too concerned about it. I don't think they understood the seriousness of it."

Hall said neither the $75,000 Zambonis nor their $10,000 blades appeared damaged, but the city could charge the employees with operating an unlicensed motor vehicle on a public street.

11/22/06 15:46 EST

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. ----------------------------------------------

The Moral: Going on a Burger King run on a Zamboni is just not cool.

I hear the two employees were greeted with icy stares and were given the cold shoulder.

Edited by trekz

I guess they're not going to be able to skate on the charges.

;)

They are already on thin ice legally.