Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Israel Developing Anti-Militant "Bionic Hornet"

Israel Developing Anti-Militant "Bionic Hornet"

Reuters

JERUSALEM (Nov. 17) - Israel is using nanotechnology to try to create a robot no bigger than a hornet that would be able to chase, photograph and kill its targets, an Israeli newspaper reported on Friday.

The flying robot, nicknamed the "bionic hornet," would be able to navigate its way down narrow alleyways to target otherwise unreachable enemies such as rocket launchers, the daily Yedioth Ahronoth said.

It is one of several weapons being developed by scientists to combat militants, it said. Others include super gloves that would give the user the strength of a "bionic man" and miniature sensors to detect suicide bombers.

The research integrates nanotechnology into Israel's security department and will find creative solutions to problems the army has been unable to address, Deputy Prime Minister Shimon Peres told Yedioth Ahronoth.

"The war in Lebanon proved that we need smaller weaponry. It's illogical to send a plane worth $100 million against a suicidal terrorist. So we are building futuristic weapons," Peres said.

The 34-day war in Lebanon ended with a U.N.-brokered ceasefire in mid-August. The war killed more than 1,200 Lebanese, mostly civilians, and 157 Israelis, mostly soldiers.

Prototypes for the new weapons are expected within three years, he said.

Cool Stuff!

Edited by Kor37

Interesting - unfortunately whatever they develop will eventually make it into the hands of the not so scrupulous public - can you imagine how vulnerable we'll be when criminals have this kind of technology.

I think one of the scariest concepts of Star Trek, to me, was the killer that used the transporter to beam in a weapon and shoot the unsuspecting victim - I don't know why but that was just a terrifying concept.

It's interesting, (to me at least) the Bible mentions a hornet 3 times within its pages, twice as prophesy and once as after the fact:

Exodus 23:28 And I will send hornets before thee, which shall drive out the Hivite, the Canaanite, and the Hittite, from before thee.

Deuteronomy 7:20 Moreover the LORD thy God will send the hornet among them, until they that are left, and hide themselves from thee, be destroyed.

Joshua 24:12 And I sent the hornet before you, which drave them out from before you, even the two kings of the Amorites; but not with thy sword, nor with thy bow.

Sounds like something out of a Bond film :blink: ...Then again in the US they are developeing a chemical that can be dumped on city but would only be deadly to the target,it is made to attack only your DNA!!..now that sends a chill down my spine.

Sounds like something out of a Bond film :blink: ...Then again in the US they are developeing a chemical that can be dumped on city but would only be deadly to the target,it is made to attack only your DNA!!..now that sends a chill down my spine.

Where on earth did you hear something like that? It seems a bit unbelieveable to me, and immoral. It sound like the perfect weapon for genocide.

Where on earth did you hear something like that? It seems a bit unbelieveable to me, and immoral. It sound like the perfect weapon for genocide.

I watched a program on National Geographic Channel called "Hollywood science" about gadgets from bond films, enemy of the state and other spy movies that where and are really used by C.I.A.. M.I.6 and former K.G.B Intelligence officers.

I belive its on all this month here in europe.