Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

South Park mocks the death of Steve Irwin

I've heard a lot about this show being crude, vulgar and generally lacking good taste but there is IMO a big difference between sarcastic social commentary and truly insensitive mockery of the death of anyone - particularly someone so recently deceased. Thank goodness I didn't see this.

cnn

I'll still watch it.

Steve Erwin is a legend, however the lesson learned from watching 'Cartoon Wars' with the Mohammed issue was; Either everything is ok to make fun of, or nothing is.

No one should read anything into the fact that Steve Irwin is depicted in Hell. In the South Park universe, the Mormon religion is the only one that has it right, so therefore anyone who isn't a Mormon goes to Hell.

The stingray may be a little unnecessary (especially, since no one else has appeared with the consequences of their deaths in Hell, however, it could be Steve Irwin's Halloween costume). But most of the time when a recognizable figure appears in Hell in South Park, they use a cut out of their real face, and they've animated Irwin (which if I recall, has only been done once before and that was an example of the limits of bad taste). There is also the fact that a character that was supposed to be Irwin appeared on South Park in 1999 and that character subsequently died in that episode (of course, apparently that is contradicted by this episode).

I was just reading a summary for this episode on the wikipedia and this excerpt describes what happens:

Satan investigates reports of one of his guests dressing up as the Crocodile Hunter. He finds this person (complete with a stingray sticking out of his chest) and complains that the costume is "not cool" and that it's "just too soon" to be doing this. The guest reveals himself as the real Crocodile Hunter, at which point Satan has him thrown out for not dressing up in a costume at his party.
The points then goes on to mention what I just did about the previous depiction of Irwin.

And one last thing, am I the only one who find that fact that the Trapped in the Clsoet controversy is now referred to as one of South Park's "tamer" controversies ironic? Because they made a huge deal about it at the time.

No one should read anything into the fact that Steve Irwin is depicted in Hell. In the South Park universe, the Mormon religion is the only one that has it right, so therefore anyone who isn't a Mormon goes to Hell.

The stingray may be a little unnecessary (especially, since no one else has appeared with the consequences of their deaths in Hell, however, it could be Steve Irwin's Halloween costume). But most of the time when a recognizable figure appears in Hell in South Park, they use a cut out of their real face, and they've animated Irwin (which if I recall, has only been done once before and that was an example of the limits of bad taste). There is also the fact that a character that was supposed to be Irwin appeared on South Park in 1999 and that character subsequently died in that episode (of course, apparently that is contradicted by this episode).

I was just reading a summary for this episode on the wikipedia and this excerpt describes what happens:

Satan investigates reports of one of his guests dressing up as the Crocodile Hunter. He finds this person (complete with a stingray sticking out of his chest) and complains that the costume is "not cool" and that it's "just too soon" to be doing this. The guest reveals himself as the real Crocodile Hunter, at which point Satan has him thrown out for not dressing up in a costume at his party.
The points then goes on to mention what I just did about the previous depiction of Irwin.

And one last thing, am I the only one who find that fact that the Trapped in the Clsoet controversy is now referred to as one of South Park's "tamer" controversies ironic? Because they made a huge deal about it at the time.

Well put..so good infact i dont know what i could add except the trapped in the cloeset imo is very tame compered to cartman in the para-olympics...lol.

IMO you have to have a taste for SP..

South Park is definitely an acquired taste. I don't know how they get away with the things they do.

Making fun of Irwin while he was alive is a different thing than mocking his death while his family is still grieving - dang I was really saddened by his loss.

In the South Park universe, the Mormon religion is the only one that has it right, so therefore anyone who isn't a Mormon goes to Hell.

Now, I found that quite funny. Since they don't believe in Hell in the fire and brimstone sense.

I was gutted when Irwin died but, South Park can turn sadness into laughter, if you don't take it too seriously.