Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Christies underestimates Trekkies

The History Channel ran the auction live and is now streaming the coverage on their website if anyone wants to see it.

From st.com:

Have you been watching the auction out of New York? Pretty crazy, huh? Already the Enterprise-E has sold for $110,000 (not counting the 20% auction house commission), more than 10 times its pre-sale estimate of $8,000 - $12,000. Another model from "Star Trek: First Contact," a 30-square-inch Borg Cube, sold yesterday for $80,000 — bidding started at $32K — when it was expected to snatch between $1,000 and $1,500!

Earlier today, Deep Space Nine — the space station — also took in about $110,000 against a high estimate of $12,000. And Picard's Ressikan flute from "The Inner Light," estimated at $800 - $1200, started with an opening bid of $13,000 and ultimately pulled down $40,000. Whew!

"The energy was definitely beyond what I expected" on Thursday, said Cathy Elkies, Christie's director of special collections, in a Reuters report.

And the best stuff is yet to come! On Saturday, the third and final day of the auction, we'll see what some of the biggest-ticket items will pull in — movie costumes worn by the original cast, captain's chairs, bridge set pieces, the refitted Enterprise model used in six movies, and the Enterprise-D from Next Generation. That latter item has the highest estimate of the 1000 lots: $25,000 - $35,000 ... but the way things are going — unless all the bidders totally run out of money — that thing could easily warp into high six figures.

There will be further reports at st.com as well.

i can't believe how much stuff was going for. i wonder how many people are mortgaging their house? i'm also curious on how many of the famous trekkies bid on stuff? wish i had that kind of money to own a piece of trek.

Both. Christies does not do auctions for free. They might get 10% of the from the winning bids.

Edited by Odie

Both. Christies does not do auctions for free.

So true. A service fee is added to the winning bid to pay Christie's fee.

I think it's a shame that Paramount couldn't have simply donated that stuff to the Science Fiction Museum. :P

I think it's a shame that Paramount couldn't have simply donated that stuff to the Science Fiction Museum. :(

Paramount do something nice for the fans for free? :P :P

Paramount could have looked at this in a historical way, but Nnnnnooooo! :P

Paramount only recognizes Star Trek fans imo as a cash cow to be milked when THEY need to. :P

However, perhaps a few things were purchased by the museum, or by fans that might eventually donate part of their collection to the Science Fiction Museum or even the Smithsonian. :)