Sign in to follow this  
cptwright

Enterprise

do you think they should've put STAR TREK, in the ENTERPRISE name?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. do you think they should've put STAR TREK, in the ENTERPRISE name?

• 1. yes
    • 2.no
    • 3. no opinion

Personally I like ENTERPRISE, without the Star Trek. Everyone knows that ENTERPRISE is a Star Trek show without placing it in the name.

This show is supposed to be the beginning, the origins of Starfleet, and eventually, hopefully the Federation.

To put Star Trek in the show's title almost seems redundant.

I think it looses genunie quality once they take out "Star Trek". The new season they will be big changes and the defense of the world will finally be in play, so why not a change of the name?

The show is called ENTERPRISE.  The reason why the promo calls it STAR TRE: ENTERPRISE is becuase the advertisers don't know what the heck they are doing!

What does that have to do with the Question? :)

oh and uh, I don't mind not have the name "Star Trek" in it

If they wanted to "shorten" the name from a long name to a short name, that works. If the show is new and they decided the original title needs working, that's fine. The show has been on for 2 years now and they have a short title. Why does it need to be re-worked? Besides, it's a prequal set before TOS, so "Star Trek" should be dropped in my opinion, but only becuase it's set "before" TOS.

do you think they should've put STAR TREK, in the ENTERPRISE name?

No. I DO consider ENT to be Star Trek however having the words Star Trek tacked onto the beginning is of little consequence, with ENT being a prequel to Trek it makes sense to drop the prefix. Besides that, it is easier to say.

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE Bleech! :)

I like;

ENTERPRISE

The show is called ENTERPRISE.  The reason why the promo calls it STAR TRE: ENTERPRISE is becuase the advertisers don't know what the heck they are doing!

This isn't "advertisers" that did this. Paramount did this so non-Trek fans will know what it is. Now if it said "Star Wars: Enterprise" in the ads then yes, someone screwed up. BUt don't think for one second that Paramount doesn't have control over the commercials and their content.

My answer is Yes, by taking Star Trek out of it you are taking away the shows Identity.

In First Contact is was Zefram Cochrane that said:

(Video may take a second to load.)

So you see, this name "Star Trek" came along (In the Trek timeline) well before Kirk and the NCC-1701. This is from before humanity had first contact with the Vulcans.

It is beyond me why TPTB decided to make a Star Trek series and then rob the series if it's Star Trek heritage by taking it's "Family Name" away from it.

Yes VBG but I think ZC had Troi's word's ringing in his ears; That's our ship, the Enterprise. It is easy to imagine him looking at the NX-O1 and thinking; That's our ship, the Enterprise. See?

But isn't "Star Trek" a description of what they are doing as opposed to a Title of an organization or ship? Isn't Archer and the NX-01 crew on a Trek through the Stars? If ZC would look at the NX-01 and say that's "Our Enterprise", why wouldn't he also say to Archer "Good Luck on your Star Trek".

Think of "Star Trek" as a verb not as a noun. It describes what they are doing, not who they are.

Enterprise is who they are and they are on a Star Trek.

Stardate:213600.7

Well i dont know on this one.

I agree with the part about it taking away from the shows identity

but

whenever i talk about a star trek series like TNG or DS9 i say "The Next Generation" or "DS9" or "Voayger".I dont say "Star Trek:The Next Generation" or "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine" or "Star Trek:Voyager"

So if they called it Star Trek:Enterprise i would still call it "Enterprise"

I think there's 2 vallid reasons to drop STAR TREK from the title.

1. It's a prequal set before the original show, called STAR TREK, thus we simply have ENTERPRISE.

2. We've had STAR TREK, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, and STAR TREK: VOYAGER. They're assuming that the franchise is so well established by now, people should be able to tell if it's STAR TREK or not. Look at SMALLVILLE, the new Superman show. Do they call it SUPERMAN: SMALLVILLE? Nope, just SMALLVILLE. I think that's the main reason for STAR TREK from the show. They wanted a short title which says "Star Trek" without having to be STAR TREK: Something, thus we have ENTERPRISE.

wow, i guess i started a little debate here, didnt i. its not that i dont like the startrek name, its just that ENTERPRISE, started as such, now to add STARTREK, its almost like an after thought. leave it the way it is, we all know what the shows origins are.

I think there's 2 vallid reasons to drop STAR TREK from the title.

1. It's a prequal set before the original show, called STAR TREK, thus we simply have ENTERPRISE.

2. We've had STAR TREK, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, and STAR TREK: VOYAGER.  They're assuming that the franchise is so well established by now, people should be able to tell if it's STAR TREK or not.  Look at SMALLVILLE, the new Superman show.  Do they call it SUPERMAN: SMALLVILLE?  Nope, just SMALLVILLE.  I think that's the main reason for STAR TREK from the show.  They wanted a short title which says "Star Trek" without having to be STAR TREK: Something, thus we have ENTERPRISE.

What is "Superman"? Superman is the name of a specific character. Is "Star Trek" the name of some thing or character? "Star Trek" is the description of a voyage through the Stars, or to the Stars. It doesn't name a character, building, organization, ship or group of people. It describes what a group of people are doing, they are on a Trek through the Stars. Prequel, sequel why does that matter? They are still on their Trek aren't they? My Grandfather was a "Prequel" to my father, and I an a sequel to my father yet we all have the same family name, should my grandfather have had a different last name simply because he wasn't me? I know that's reaching but I see "Star Trek" as the Family name of a franchise. Enterprise is a member of that family and deserves to bear it's family name.

Do I think they should change the name now to include Star Trek? I don't really care if they do, but I believe it should never have been left off.

Star Trek

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Voyager

Enterprise

That's the order of the Trek shows. However, if you put the shows in chronological order of "when" they take place, you then have:

Enterprise

Star Trek

Now, if the new show was called Star Trek: Enterprise, you'd have this:

Star Trek: Enterprise

Star Trek

See how that doesn't fit? This is why I say, because it's set before TOS, the "Star Trek" name should be left out.

You are completely missing my point. Is Enterprise Star Trek?

The only answer you can give is Yes.

I am "Kevin V. BeachGuy", my father is "Dad V. BeachGuy" and my Grandfather is "Granddad V. BeachGuy" is in my name and my fathers name, so why shouldn't my Grandfather have the name too? He was a Prequel to me.

And the literal order of the shows is like you said:

Star Trek

Enterprise

Do you see something strange there? I see "Star Trek" missing from the 5th series. Now if "Star Trek was the name of the ship, or the name of the main character and that character isn't born in the time of Enterprise then by all means leave it off. But it's not that, "Star Trek" is a description of what these space voyagers are doing. Go back and listen to Zefram Cochrane again, he himself said they were on a some kind of "Star Trek". That quote alone sets the precident to name it Star Trek: Enterprise just like the Borg from FC set the ability to have the Borg in Enterprise.

Don't be so set in your ideas of what looks "neat" on paper being the only way it should be. If you answer yes, that Enterprise is Star Trek then why strip it of it's history and name? Are you ashamed of Star Trek that you don't want it on the title of this new series? And don't be fooled by a "timeline" Enterprise is a new show and wasn't created before TOS. We can set the shows in order of their timeline but don't take away it's identity as Star Trek.

again i say WOW, i didnt think such a simple thing coud cause such a nice debate, but i enjoy reading it. there is no right or wrong answer by the way. :) :bow:

I voted no but after reading this thread I am leaning more to yes. But I seem to remember the original promo saying "Before there was Star Trek...There was Enterprise." ...wait actually I think they said before there was Kirk, Picard, etc...there was Enterprise.

One way I think that the "Enterprise" only title could have worked would have been if the show was about what I had mistakenly thought it was about. The actual construction and first missions of the NCC-1701. I still wish they had gone with that, (There was a great novel about the subject) but I like the show they gave us too.

Anyway, I guess the Producers just thought "Enterprise" sounded cooler. Its still Star Trek: though, and maybe since the promos do list it as Star Trek Enterprise it really is Star Trek: Enterprise. Heck all the motion pictures are listed with Star Trek in the title. If Enterprise had been a movie it would have had Star Trek in it.

:)

I put no opinion because I don't care any which way it goes. If it's Enterprise, Star Trek: Enterprise, I'll watch and enjoy it either way.

i think enterprise is meant to have a different identity than the usual trek show; that's probably one reason not to put star trek in it. enterprise is a more tactile show more remenscent of a space shuttle atmosphere with swearing and those baseball caps... (well something like that)

I voted yes, I like the show but I would like it better if it was called Star Trek: Enterprise but that is just me.

I think it should have been called "Star Trek: Enterprise" from the beginning and not in the middle of the series...

I never understood why they did not call it "Star Trek: Enterprise" as they came up with the series.

But I voted for yes because I think it is never too late for changings :dude:

ENT is Star Trek and it belongs to it. So: Call it like it has to be called :huh: :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I voted no. After going back and reading the thread and listened to Zefram Cochrane recording, I now know the answer should have been YES all along. I now remember that scene from the movie "GENERATIONS". I don't know how I could have forgotten it. Forgive me! :laugh:

You are correct VBG. :dude:

I voted no. After going back and reading the thread and listened to Zefram Cochrane recording, I now know the answer should have been YES all along. I now remember that scene from the movie "GENERATIONS".  I don't know how I could have forgotten it.  Forgive me! :laugh:

You are correct VBG. :dude:

It was actually from First Contact, but I think it is ample justification to call it Star Trek if we go by "Time Line" reasoning.