Sign in to follow this  
master_q

"Alcohol use helps boost income: study"

WASHINGTON (AFP) - People who consume alcohol earn significantly more at their jobs than non-drinkers, according to a US study that highlighted "social capital" gained from drinking.

The study published in the Journal of Labor Research Thursday concluded that drinkers earn 10 to 14 percent more than teetotalers, and that men who drink socially bring home an additional seven percent in pay.

"Social drinking builds social capital," said Edward Stringham, an economics professor at San Jose State University and co-author of the study with fellow researcher Bethany Peters.

"Social drinkers are out networking, building relationships, and adding contacts to their BlackBerries that result in bigger paychecks."

The authors acknowledged their study, funded by the Reason Foundation, a libertarian think tank, contradicted research released in 2000 by the Harvard School of Public Health.

"We created our hypothesis through casual observation and examination of scholarly accounts," the authors said.

"Drinkers typically tend to be more social than abstainers."

The researchers said their empirical survey backed up the theory, and said the most likely explanation is that drinkers have a wider range of social contacts that help provide better job and business opportunities.

"Drinkers may be able to socialize more with clients and co-workers, giving drinkers an advantage in important relationships," the researchers said.

"Drinking may also provide individuals with opportunities to learn people, business, and social skills."

They also said these conclusions provide arguments against policies aimed at curbing alcohol use on university campuses and public venues.

"Not only do anti-alcohol policies reduce drinkers' fun, but they may also decrease earnings," the study said.

"One of the unintended consequences of alcohol restrictions is that they push drinking into private settings. This occurred during the Alcohol Prohibition of 1920-1933 and is happening on college campuses today. By preventing people from drinking in public, anti-alcohol policies eliminate one of the most important aspects of drinking: increased social capital."

The researchers found some differences in the economic effects of drinking among men and women. They concluded that men who drink earn 10 percent more than abstainers and women drinkers earn 14 percent more than non-drinkers.

However, unlike men, who get a seven percent income boost from drinking in bars, women who frequent bars at least once per month do not show higher earnings than women drinkers who do not visit bars.

"Perhaps women increase social capital apart from drinking in bars," the researchers said in an effort to explain the gender gap.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060914/hl_af...lehealthalcohol

Now I know why I never have any money <_<

I know one of the writers of this study, Ed Stringham, well. He and I are moderators of a discussion group called the Barstool Economists. Several articles and studies posted or referenced in the past by Master Q were written by members of this group.

The mission of the Barstool Economists is simple: Drink beer and talk about economics (in that order). We usually hit the local San Jose bars after events hosted by the San Jose State University economics department or various "side organizations" individual faculty members are in.

It does not surprise me at all that Ed would conduct a study on the benefits of alcohol consumption. In fact, he is probably doing some "empiricle research" as we speak.

I'll have to give him some crap about his work being published to a group of Star Trek geeks!

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Yeah, it sorta goes along with the cocktail party idea. Many cocktail parties are parties with co-workers. I have actually had business meatings at bars. It just seems to be the most relaxed atmosphere for some kinds of business and work conversations. It is also the place where you may find your boss drunk. Which has happened to me a few times. Just don't ever go to a cocktail party with your boss. When you know he drinks and comes from Britain. That is if you are both in the states. Chances are you will get stuck riding back to work with a guy who not only cannot drive straight. But cannot remember what side of the road to drive.

Like any economic good, including social drinking, there is a point of diminishing returns and, sometimes, negative returns. You wouldn't want to drink yourself to a stupor where you loose your *existing* business contacts for example.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Like any economic good, including social drinking, there is a point of diminishing returns and, sometimes, negative returns. You wouldn't want to drink yourself to a stupor where you loose your *existing* business contacts for example.

That is why you stick to beer or just one drink when dealing with a client.

*meh* <_< Guess, I will never get a higher income then. LOL

The smell of alcohol makes me have a headache and get nauseous. So except for once or twice where I have actually tried a sip, I do not get near it.

Alcohol actually makes you more intelligent. I'm not talking about new insights you would have never had sober, or being more verbose in your arguments, or anything like that. I am talking simple biology.

We all know that alcohol kills brain cells. That is a biological fact. What is also a biological fact, necesitated by survival of the fittest, is that the weaker brain cells will die out first.

This leaves the remaining brain cells stronger, more robust. There are also more resources for these brain cells that the weaker brain cells were using. The end result of "thining the herd" of brain cells is a stronger brain.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy