Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BakulaBabe

Which poet are you like?

Which poet are you like?

result_emilydickinson.gif

title_emilydickinson.gif

Do you have a 19th century sensibility? Or are you an intellectual? Do you write a lot? Because it seems like you have a lot in common with classic American poet, Emily Dickinson. Although Dickinson didn't publish much during in her lifetime, she did write over 1500 poems which were published after her death in 1886. And she barely left the house. You can check out all of her work online.

result_gertrudestein.gif

Gertrude Stein

Do you have a thing for words? You're in good company. Gertrude Stein did too. Who else could write a line like, "A rose is a rose is a rose," and call it poetry? Stein--who wrote in the early part of the 20th century--is famous for playing with language to the point of making it nonsense. Check out her book, " Tender Buttons," to get a glimpse at her quirky literary humor.

EMILY DICKINSON

Do you have a 19th century sensibility? Or are you an intellectual? Do you write a lot? Because it seems like you have a lot in common with classic American poet, Emily Dickinson. Although Dickinson didn't publish much during in her lifetime, she did write over 1500 poems which were published after her death in 1886. And she barely left the house. You can check out all of her work online.

Sadly, I'm not familiar with this poet

Rita Dove

They say a picture's worth a thousand words. But some people's words--like Rita Dove's and maybe yours--seem like they're worth a thousand pictures. This former Poet Laureate published a Pulitzer Prize-winning book of poems called " Thomas and Beulah," which chronicles the African American migration from the rural south to work in the factories in the north during the 1950s.

Gertrude Stein

I think I would have done better if Robert Frost or Shel Silverstein were choices :bow:

I had forgotten I had taken this so I took it again - imagine my surprise to scroll down and see my siggy.

Anyway, I guess I've changed personalities in the last two years -

Maya Angelou

Do you exude confidence? Are you your own greatest champion? If strength and pride are your trademark characteristics, contemporary American poet Maya Angelou may be your literary alter ego. Although most people know Angelou from her autobiography, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," she has published over 10 volumes of poetry, one of which, "Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'Fore I Diiie," was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. In 1993, she wrote and delivered a poem at President Clinton's inauguration

Does love inspire you to express yourself with an ardor you didn't know you had?

result_elizabethbarrett.gif

Nineteenth century British poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning would understand. During a secret courtship with her husband to be, she poured her heart out in a sequence of poems that was eventually published as "Sonnets from the Portugese." Of course, her love knew no bounds. She even wrote a love poem for her dog Flash.

Do your feelings come pouring to the surface no matter what? Is writing or speaking your mind a matter of life and death for you? If so, you may identify with Sylvia Plath's confessional style of poetry. Plath is perhaps one of the most famous poets of the 20th century. And for good reason. She captured the ups and downs of life and love in lines as beautiful as this one from her poem, "Totem": "the world is blood-hot and personal." Check out her book, " Ariel," and find out more.