Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Trek Prequels

What is wrong with having Trek movies and TV series that are set before Kirk's time? I have always had no problem with prequels, it show the backgrounds from where everything in the Trek universe came from. It shows how inventions were invented to how people, places and things came into being. Things like the Romulan War is talked about, but it would be nice to see it.

What are your thoughts? NO BASHING OTHERS

I watched Enterprise a few times, but I never "gave it a chance" as you say, because I LOATHE prequels in any series, not just Trek. The Star Wars prequel trilogy was all right, but pretty boring really when you think about it. We all knew how it was going to end .... I just couldn't get all worked up over it.

As far as Trek goes, I just plain don't care how things got invented now that I've seen those things in action.

I don't really want to spend a lot of time on a "Romulan War" when we already know how it turned out and I'm just not interested in the details. I want to move forward, that's all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... I found the entire premise and the SETS of Enterprise completely distracting ... if they were going to do a t.v. series prequel to TOS, Phlox should have been using Windex bottles in sickbay.

I wouldn't pay to see a prequel at the theater and I probably wouldn't rent it either.

I like prequels, but only if I like the original story. That's one of the reasons why I like Enterprise. I'm interested in seeing what took place in the early days of the Federation. :biggrin:

if they were going to do a t.v. series prequel to TOS, Phlox should have been using Windex bottles in sickbay.
Well now, that's just silly. The retro look wasn't in till the 23rd century or otherwise the intergalactic phenomenon known as "the Cheapening" hadn't taken its course in the 2150s. Just like how they brought back reality television for the 2001st century in Doctor Who, along with those vintage spinny space-stations even though grav-plating has been long-around.

I also like prequels, the only problem i have with them is inconsistencies that are created in the universe (for example enterprise was never mentioned before the series). However I do like when prequels take time to explain things further (for example why the klingons had no ridges in the original series).

if they were going to do a t.v. series prequel to TOS, Phlox should have been using Windex bottles in sickbay.
Well now, that's just silly. The retro look wasn't in till the 23rd century or otherwise the intergalactic phenomenon known as "the Cheapening" hadn't taken its course in the 2150s. Just like how they brought back reality television for the 2001st century in Doctor Who, along with those vintage spinny space-stations even though grav-plating has been long-around.

What on earth are you talking about?

The "Retro" look of TOS didn't have anything at all to do with a particular style of design and everything to do with what was supposedly "cutting edge" during the time of Kirk and the gang. Those spray bottles in sickbay would not have been there just because of fashion ... McCoy's sickbay was supposed to be state of the art.

Why Phlox's sickbay looked closer to TNG/Voyager/DS9 stuff made absolutely no sense and was distracting to me personally.

The "Retro" look of TOS didn't have anything at all to do with a particular style of design and everything to do with what was supposedly "cutting edge" during the time of Kirk and the gang. Those spray bottles in sickbay would not have been there just because of fashion ... McCoy's sickbay was supposed to be state of the art.

Why Phlox's sickbay looked closer to TNG/Voyager/DS9 stuff made absolutely no sense and was distracting to me personally.

Considering what we have today, don't you think it would have looked silly to have Phlox's sickbay looking more primitive than what today's state of the art facilities look like? And I'm referring strictly to looks, not function since McCoy's sickbay was technologically more advanced than Phlox's.

In the case of Enterprise they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. People would either feel like you do about the look of Enterprise but if they had tried to make the sets look less advanced than TOS they would have looked less advanced than today's technology. For example, the TOS Enterprise's computer is technological more sophisticated that computers we have today but today's computers with voice interfaces certainly don't sound as choppy as the Enterprise computer did and it would have been laughable to have a computer sound like that on Enterprise and is probably the main reason the NX-01's computer didn't "speak".

Considering what we have today, don't you think it would have looked silly to have Phlox's sickbay looking more primitive than what today's state of the art facilities look like? And I'm referring strictly to looks, not function since McCoy's sickbay was technologically more advanced than Phlox's.

I think it was silly to set the show in a time period prior to the original series for this very reason. I just did not buy that Enterprise events were supposedly occuring earlier than the time of Kirk and Spock. There's just no way that was going to sell to me and many others like me.

Enh, I don't really like prequels all that much, as a general rule. They tend to seem somewhat...inauthentic. Not that they are, but they sometimes seem that way. I think that perhaps the truly bad prequels out there have left a bad taste in most peoples' mouths for them, though.

Edited by savagediana