Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Bringing back painful memories

Has a storyline or scene in Star Trek brought back painful memories for you? This may be a difficult thread so dont respond if you dont want to.

For me it was the Xindi attack on earth. Here in Northern Ireland, I went to school in a town called Omagh for 7 years. A bomb went off there in 1998 and killed 29 people, including a pregnant woman and an eighteen month year old baby.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/omagh/dead.htm

When you see such carnage, especially of those so innocent, your heart can not help but go out to the families who have been made to suffer. I know that September 11th was much much larger in scale. And it hit me hard as well. But this event occurred in a street which i had walked down millions of times, in a localised community. And so was far closer.

Every Trek series has had aspects of the story lines that reflected things both painful and otherwise happening in my personal life, too many to list. The term The Human Adventure aptly describes Trek for me.

Voyager being my favorite series, I will take it from there.........the episode "Remember," is a very upseting episode for me. It is an episode where B'Elanna has memories implanted in her mine of belonging to a race that considered itself superior to another race. The so called superior race was leading members of its own people to believe that they were removing the inferior race by relocating them to another area, where they could all live happily together. But actually the so called superior race was actually taking these people to another location and putting them to death. This episode reminded me of some very personal experiences that I have had as a child and even now at times, being a member of a minority race. I grew up during the time that lynchings were still going on in this country; during a time where there were no laws in the South to protect me or my family from any kind of personal violations from the majority race. I very energetically participated in the demonstrations of the sixties, and was one of those students to integrate one of the public high schools in North Carolina........It was an awful time for me and many others......one I would never want to relive.....many people were hurt and died during this period......I am so thankful that things have changed......The episode "Remember" also makes me think about the situation during World War 2 between the Nazi's and the Jews. There are many powerful Star Trek Voyager episodes..........But "Remember" is one that I find very haunting. :P

Several aspects of Trek, whether it be series, movies, novels, or fan fics have had a similar effect to me as like AE stated here...

Every Trek series has had aspects of the story lines that reflected things both painful and otherwise happening in my personal life, too many to list. The term The Human Adventure aptly describes Trek for me.

I thouroughly agree.

Two things that stand out(and please no one pick on me here...this hurts, OK.)

1)Nemesis, I have always been a bit attached to the character of Data(as most everyone here knows already), I see him as like a best friend, losing him at the end of the movie is still painful. How his death relates to me in my history....my best friend died in a car accident, he reminded me a lot of Data, he was also the only boy in school that was ever nice to me(most would ignore me, as if I were a ghost...it is ok about that as I usually keep to myself)... Those two guys: Data and my friend I counted as my two best friends, now they are both gone..

2)A fan fic, and certain events hinted at in FC..remind me of something that happened to me on a schoolbus when I was 11.Though I am rather strong about things, this bugged me, 12 years ago this happened...so a lot of healing has happened in that time, I am even stronger now.. Really bugs me...so I will not share much.. I was assaulted by a few boys who said their reason for doing such a thing was to humiliate me and ruin my reputation. The boys did not get too far though(happily to say), he(the boy doing the most attacking) discovered that I have a mean right hook when I defend myself. Those boys and their accomplices were brought to justice, much praise to the DA office!

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I can't recall the episode name right now.But I remember this like it was last night.I was watching the Star Trek:TNG episode where the Sataraans confuse the crew of the Enterprise-D,and Ro and Riker had that little liason.Halfway through the episode I found out my dad had died of a heart attack while at a seniors function at a local club where older folks get together to hang out.To this day I cannot watch that show.Conundrum,that's it.I can't watch it at all.

no bad memories for me ,i watch to get away from reality for a moment. the real world is certianly screwed up enough as it is anyhow. terrorists jusy bombed a marriott hotel in indoneesia this morning. :look:

Strangely, I can't seem to think of anything in Star Trek that reminds me of bad times. I'm sure someday I'll come across something... I guess I've been somewhat lucky in life.

i must say i too escape into trek, and other such show, so i really dont get any painful memories from the show. i suppose the closest i would come, is probably the same for anyone, is that when a main character loses someone close to them, that does make me think of the pain of losing someone close to me. but nothing in particular.