Sign in to follow this  
master_q

"Teaching Math In The US"

Teaching Math In The US ---- I'm sure a post like this has gone up here, like this one, but this might be a slightly different variation that you might not have seen.

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tries to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. TEACHING MATH IN 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. TEACHING MATH IN 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. TEACHING MATH IN 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. TEACHING MATH IN 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. TEACHING MATH IN 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes (There are no wrong answers).

6. TEACHING MATH IN 2006

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderpara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80…

Edited by master_q

I actually understand the 2006 part of it. It is not new, but the 2006 is and also correct.

I heard it before from a math professor, a few years ago, and I heard it with the last iterations involving the spanish.

No no, wishfire. Darwin awards are for those who take themselves out of the gene pool.

However, this does remind me of an old high school physics test I took. Working on finding certain vectors involved being given certain diagrams. Each one was prefaced with "Consider the following:" Well, in the spirit of fun in physics, under the first diagram, I wrote "I considered it, but I didn't think too highly of it." Under the second, I wrote, "Why yes! What a wondrous thing of beauty to behold!" The third, I wrote, "Not bad, but I liked the second one best."

No no, wishfire. Darwin awards are for those who take themselves out of the gene pool.

Then why did the guy who tried to rob a bank with a note written on the back of his resume get one?

Then why did the guy who tried to rob a bank with a note written on the back of his resume get one?

Maybe incarceration counts as "taking one's self out of the gene pool"? :welcome:

Of course the best Darwin award goes to the guy who gave an elephant a laxitive and then stood behind him to mak sure he was relieved. A ton of elephant (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) came heading his way, he was surprised, fainted, bashed his head against a cement floor, and then got covered in elephant (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't).

Edited by Lt. Van Roy