Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Main Cast Ratio

Seriously, I agree that the ratio is off, but it's the fact irl too...

I mean, I'm a graduate student in engeneering, and when I look around me.. well.. they are all guys.

So, in those domain, they are mostly men, except in sciences and medical.

Irl, seems those would be good odds from the gal's point of view :P

I've seen shows that had half the cast or more consist of women, and to be honest, I didn't enjoy them. 

That's pretty much my point - Star Trek is a show for men. Woman can watch it if they want but TPTB don't care if we don't. Personally, I am more concerned with the negative portrayal than the ratio. I think Hoshi's whining is a big deal. Archer didn't pressure her into going - he pressured here into leaving three weeks early - she agreed she was all his in three weeks. She ENLISTED in an organization called STAR Fleet - If she didn't want to go into space she should have enlisted in an organization called Ground Fleet. Plus in all my years on the single scene all the guys I knew hated whiney, complaining girls.

I know you're all happy that you have a show catered to your ideals - a man show. Just for the heck of it try to imagine what it is like being a person who doesn't matter to anyone. It gets very frustrating at times. Just once I'd like to see a TV show where women viewers mattered.

OK, that makese sense what you said about Hoshi. Still, are we to expect that everyone is going to be this perfect Starfleet officer? Archer wanted her becuase she was the best linguist, not becuase she was the best officer. :P

As for the show being "catered" to my needs? Please... Like I said, I don't care about the ratio as long as each character is done creatively. All this "representation" stuff gets on my nerves. It's a SCI-FI TV show, why can't it be left at that without getting into sexism and pollitics?

Like I said, I agree on quallity and having strong females on a sci-fi show without turning them into "the babe" to get guys to watch. As for the ratio, I don't care if it's a movie. However, if it's a TV show, I would prefer 2/3 male, 1/3 female. Why you might ask? Well, becuase I've seen TV shows where it was half or more female... and to be honest, they feel like a soap opera. :P

..A vulcan sex toy and a whiny face ensign who can't open her mouth without complaining.  I find ENT is downright insulting to women

Yowza! Never thought of it that way.

TUH I agree with you, women should be featured more on ST, but maybe because ( and this is no excuse for my gender) this world has been so male dominated that it'll take more time for gals to get in there..hey..Dax was an awseome character..she was pleasent to look at and could kick my A** as well as figure a out a difficult problem..I don't need to run down the list of other female characters and their traits as I'm sure you know them. I am in the radio industry..females are still trying to crack that and there getting there! You're almost hearing more female voices then male! I'd watch a more female based crew with men sprinkled in, not because I'm a horn dog but because it would be interesting..But maybe sadly ST isn't the world for female advancment. Hope I haven't offended anyone as I was just writing what I was thinking.

I can't believe that the ratios are to do with sexism. Itls possible that they are partly due to the producer's preconceptions e.g. they might want a powerful, dominating Security Officer so they will often opt for a male because a lot of people still see men as strong but silent and women to be weak but sentimental. However, in all probabiliy the ratio's are as they are simply due to the fact that the producers (or whoever makes the darn things) simply picked the actor they wanted the most, regardless of gender and they just happened to be mostly guys.

Whichever and why ever, both DS9 and VOY had powerful female characters who often eclipsed the male characters.

MAYBE there is very little sexism and it is all in your mind. MAYBE the female characters are who they are and play the characters they do because they are whom the producers wanted and acting the person the producers want them to, regardless of age. I personally thing Cmmdr Tucker is an idiotic whining doofus but I don't cry 'STOP! Sexism! They are portraying men as dribbling buffoons,' which they are clearly not doing.

As regards tertiary details e.g. the provocative catsuit Seven wears, yes these are stupid, slightly chauvinistic minor details but these do not equate to conscious sexism. Heck, I could just as easily claim that images of Archer working out in the Gym, stripped to a vest and shorts, were an underhand way to grab female audiences and that it showed that the script writers were nothing more then a bunch of backward men haters and that those images were merely a way to induce women to watch ENT.

I think these petty claims of sexist abuse should either stop or be backed up by hard evidence, instead of 'Oh she's whiney. This means they are sexist against women.' or 'Oh, she's attractive. They must think women are all vapid sex toy's.'

You go on and on about how Femals on STAR TREK should be properly represented in quallity...  then you say you like seeing Trip in his blues.  Isn't that a bit contradictory? :rolleyes:

Didn't my last post tell you - you were missing the point? That was a hint to think about it? While you're thinking about it you might want to look up sarcasm and irony in your dictionary.

If Star Trek wants to pull in male viewers,then the next series should be about a crew composed entirely of beautiful women,wearing Betazoid wedding 'clothes'!Man,I'd watch that no matter how lousy the writing was! :devil:

The show should be based on morals instead of attacting an audiance of raging hormones... <_<

Edited by Syperphobia