Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Dangerous jobs

I thought this was interesting - based on Bureau of Labor Statistics for 2002. Interestingly, there is a paper mill in my hometown and the timber business is a main industry here. I've had several relatives including my late brother-in-law that worked in that field. Something to think about.

Occupation Fatalities per 100,000

Timber cutters 117.8

Fishers 71.1

Pilots and navigators 69.8

Structural metal workers 58.2

Drivers-sales workers 37.9

Roofers 37

Electrical power installers 32.5

Farm occupations 28

Construction laborers 27.7

Truck drivers 25

Soldier doesn't even make the Top 10?

What percentage of soldiers are actually combatants? Most of them are considered support or service support. I think the ratio of combatant to non-combatant is something line 1:9.

This comes from a former Combat Engineer by the way so don't say "you just don't know" because I do.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

I'd heard the number was 1:7, but You are the former combat engineer, not me.

Maybe it is 1:7, I honestly don't know. My point was that just being a soldier doesn't automatically mean you will be one of the soldiers who is actually in combat.

Do non-combatant soldiers have hazzardous jobs? Sure. Accidents always happen whenever you are around heavy equipment as most soldiers are. But they mostly happen out of carelessness, inattention to safety protocols, or some other avoidable act of stupidity.

I'm not saying training accidents don't happen. Heck, I spent my 2nd half of basic with my right hand in a cast because another trainee brought a pugil stick right down on my wrist druing training. There are also "live-fire accidents" that kill people. And if you jump out of enough airplanes you will eventually get shin splints. However, these are certainly not the majority of military injuries even in peacetime.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Krissy, this is also an older survey - 2002 - I'm sure mortality rates for military have risen since then.

However, it is the number of deaths per $100,000 - so the number of support personnel would affect the ratio even with a high number of deaths.

What amazes me is how dangerous some of the jobs we wouldn't have considered dangerous are.

However, it is the number of deaths per $100,000

So how many deaths does $100K buy these days?

I must have written that before my lunch digested - I was protein deprived :tribble:

I think that drivers-sales workers probably consists of food delivery guys. Driving is dangerous. These guys drive for a living, and drive more than your average person. They HAVE to drive in bad weather, when the drunks are out, and under other conditions that most of you would probably stay home in.

Hmm, so flying is a safe mode of travel for the public, but a dangerous occupation for pilots. I guess that because the actual number of pilots is so small.

Hmm, so flying is a safe mode of travel for the public, but a dangerous occupation for pilots. I guess that because the actual number of pilots is so small.

Maybe they're including freight pilots.

Possibly, probably including the bush pilots who make their living flying people and supplies in and out of remote areas. That is a fairly dangerous job.