Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Will Stargate Go Where No Trek Has Gone Before?

MGM VP would like to launch a third installment of the sci-fi franchise to run concurrently with 'SG-1' and 'Atlantis' with a feature film.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/090506_01.shtml

By Michelle

May 9, 2006 - 7:39 PM

The Stargate franchise may soon achieve something the Star Trek franchise was never able to do: produce three series on the air concurrently, with a theatrical movie to launch the newest show.

Gateworld reported that MGM vice president Charles Cohen talked about where the franchise is headed as Stargate SG-1 reaches its 200-episode milestone, saying that MGM has plans to develop a feature film "derived from the series over the last 10 years" to kick off a third Stargate television series. Cohen added that a movie based on SG-1 would "not in any way impair the television run" of the first Stargate show, which was itself based on a 1994 film starring William Shatner (Kirk)'s Boston Legal co-star James Spader.

Though Cohen insisted that three Stargate shows on the air at once could be successful, as the CSI and Law & Order franchises have proven, there has been discussion that climbing star salaries may reduce the profit margin for a long-running series like SG-1. The X-Files returned to television after a successful 1998 movie with the original television stars, but for most genre series, like Star Trek: The Next Generation, the move to the big screen marks the end of that show's run on television as the newer series arrive.

Cohen said that the original Stargate show has evolved enough that it can continue to run on television indefinitely no matter what happens with movie plans. "If you look at SG-1 - with bringing in Claudia [black], Ben [browder], and Beau [bridges] - we've retooled the series with it still being SG-1," he explained. "I'd like to keep it on forever and keep adding to it."

Several Star Trek actors have had guest and recurring roles in the Stargate franchise. Robert Picardo (The Doctor), who first appeared as Richard Woolsey on SG-1, will appear in upcoming episodes on Stargate Atlantis. Connor Trinneer (Tucker) is returning to the role of Michael Kenmore on Atlantis this season. Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) played Ishta in multiple episodes of SG-1. John Billingsley (Phlox), Rene Auberjonois (Odo), John de Lancie (Q) and others have appeared in the franchise as well.

i don't think stargate could ever replace trek. each show has qualities that make them unique. it's great to see mgm has such high hopes for the franchise. i would like to see another trek movie along with another gate movie. i will have to wait and see what happens.

tm

I'm just going to see how MGM pulls that one off how the Stargate film might look like be interesting to see a Stargate film next to a Trek film and from what I read the film might lead into the 3rd Spinoff of the Gate franchise and I like both of them equally just have different qualities since they're both unique shows (SG-1 celebrated its 200th eps already) amazing.

SG-1 (10 year show) 2 t.v spinoffs and a feature film in the works

Star Trek (40 year history)

5 series/ 10 films

:laugh::laugh::borg2::spock:

I hope MGM doesn't make the same mistake that hurt Star Trek by flooding the market with Stargate.

I look forward to a Stargate movie, although the original may be tough to top with James Spader and Kurt Russell as the stars. If they bring back Richard Dean Anderson for the movie I would LOVE it. I also hope that they don't kill the franchise by going to the well once too often by trying to have 3 shows on TV at the same time. Yet they have done a good job with Atlantis, so maybe they are going to succeed again with another series. I still prefered SG1 with Richard Dean Anderson and Don Davis (General Hammond) in it regularly than its currrent incarnation, though I still like SG1 a lot as it currently functions.

I have mixed feelings - but I really feel if they made a movie and third series it would be after SG1 leaves the air - I love SG1 but it isn't the same with Anderson (although he's making some guest apperances this coming season) and there's just a few too many changes - I really feel like it needs to bow out gracefully and pass the reigns to a new series.

Actually, unofficially, there's been already a third Stargate series called: Stargate: Infinity which seems to take place three decades into the future.... It's been cancelled for awhile now, as from what I can recall.

The article doesn't really say what the third series/new film is supposed to be about, by-the-way..