Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

From zap2it.com:

George Lucas has felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and he's finally taken the steps to silence them.

The original, unaugmented, undoctored "Star Wars" trilogy will finally make its premiere on DVD this fall without wacky computer enhancements or added scenes, just "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Return of the Jedi" the way a generation of fans remember first seeing them.

Many fans were just happy to have the first trilogy on DVD when LucasFilm released the DVD box set back in 2004, but as many purists were up in arms that the films they stood in line for back in 1977, 1980 and 1983 seemed to no longer exist. Starting on Sept. 12, they'll live again.

The three movies will appear as individually packaged two-disc sets, each containing both the digitally restored and re-mastered movies, already available on DVD, as well as the original theatrical cuts. Fans will have to buy those DVD fast, because they'll only be available until Dec. 31, when they will return to the LucasFilm Archive.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original versions that they remember experiencing in theaters," says Jim Ward, president of LucasArts and senior vice president of LucasFilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for 'Star Wars.'"

The discs promise to be "attractively priced," which is sure to be a relief for fans being asked to pay double for their "Star Wars" memories.

I'm one of those purists so I say it's about time!!!

Good idea for Lucas to release it only for a short time... People are gonna go out and immediately buy it. He's a clever man... :laugh:

Lucas has found yet another way to sell the original Star Wars movies. What is this, the 5th or 6th release of these movies each one promising something different? I'm not getting sucked in.. :laugh:

I already own them on VHS and I own the DVD editions. I don't need to spend another $40+ to get the same thing again. Lucas has enough money. :laugh:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
englehart.jpg
Edited by sea trooper

I prefer the special edition. I've seen the pics of the two together and the new version is a lot better. But I can understand why those want their original version released, for nostalgia purposes

Lucas has found yet another way to sell the original Star Wars movies. What is this, the 5th or 6th release of these movies each one promising something different? I'm not getting sucked in.. :borg2:

LOL

There have been a lot of re-releases of the original Star Wars movies. B)

And I have no interest in owning those. But I do have an interest in owning the original-originals on DVD. All I have those on are VHS.

I'm on the fence - I will have to think about this.

I definetely prefer the upgraded versions - they look much cleaner. But then I would also love to own the originals.

I think it'll come down to price. Why should I pay again for the restored edition I already have? I'd want the original trilogy, but just that, and for no more than $35 for the three of them. Otherwise - I have all six Star Wars movies on DVD and I'm happy about that.

For those of you complaining about Lucas raking in the money, well, this month's Popular Science claims that next year, Lucas will release Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace in IMAX and/or other 3D theatres, and the other five will follow. They're working really hard to add that third dimension, to really suck the audience into the movie - or to sucker them out of their money, you decide.

I copyied my VHS versions to dvd some time ago so you could say i already own them..lol

But really Mr.Lucas stop wasteing time Re-Releasing SW films and start something new...like mabe this TV show you keep dropping hints about..or even make 7 8 9...you have the money :tribble:

I copyied my VHS versions to dvd some time ago so you could say i already own them..lol

But really Mr.Lucas stop wasteing time Re-Releasing SW films and start something new...like mabe this TV show you keep dropping hints about..or even make 7 8 9...you have the money :tribble:

I've read and seen interviews where Lucas denies he ever planned to have a 7, 8 and 9. I can remember hearing that those movies would have no humans and be an all technoworld run by robots and the like. What's the deal with that? Was there or wasn't there a blueprint that featured movies 7 through 9.

I've read and seen interviews where Lucas denies he ever planned to have a 7, 8 and 9. I can remember hearing that those movies would have no humans and be an all technoworld run by robots and the like. What's the deal with that? Was there or wasn't there a blueprint that featured movies 7 through 9.

I have a VHS box set which i bought in 1991...on each tape there is a short interview with lucas,on the last tape (ROTJ) he says "SW is a 9 part story which i cut into 3 sections" but wether or not he would make all nine would be something he could not comment on at that time.

Lucas has found yet another way to sell the original Star Wars movies. What is this, the 5th or 6th release of these movies each one promising something different? I'm not getting sucked in.. :nono:

This will probably be the only time that Kor and I agree on something. Lucas has become so greedy and what is worse is that Star Wars fans keep falling for it. Best Buy even has the Trilogy avalable in a "special limited edition metal tin" like the kind you put ham in.

Can we finally agree that these films were great when we were, you know, kids? I loved Star Wars when I was eleven...now its just a quant part of my childhood. I've grown up- that's why I watch Star Trek (not to mention Babylon-5, LEXX and the new Battlestar Galactica). Star Wars? If I want to watch the saga of two Sith Lords spreading evil I'll just watch Bush and Cheney. :bow:

Heh. I'm glad I never grew out of Star Wars. :angry: I still enjoy it very much to this day. And I actually watched both SW and ST when I was kid...so...still watching both. :)

Now I'm also into Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. :)

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

I love Star Wars still to this day. I'm just not going to buy the same movies over and over again.