Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Borg free - glad?

Are you glad the Borg stayed out of DS9?

I am! Because they were being used so much in Voyager. And also because it gave DS9 it's own style. The Dominion were enough as an enemy.

Though it makes me ask the question, as a side note: how would the Dominion have fared vs the Borg?

Could they have assimilated a changling?

What about the addiction to Ketracel White?

Well, the Borg just wouldn't fit in to the story. The Borg wouldn't be interrested in the Bajorrans and I doubt the Cardassians, thus the Borg wouldn't be anywhere near DS9. However, we did get to see the Defiant fight the Cube in ST:FC, so that was pretty cool. I wish the scene was longer though.

Anywho, while there were a lot of Seven-centerred episodes, the Borg were only featured in about 12 episodes, so I don't think they got overused. Each episode was quite unique in how the Borg were utilized, it wasn't just another "Voyager runs into the Borg" story.

As far as the Borg assimilating changlings? They couldn't assimilate Data, so perhaps they can't assimilate Odo? My theory as to why they couldn't assimilate Data is that if they tried, his nueral net might fail, and they didn't want to risk that since they needed the Enterprise computer decryption codes.

If DS9 were still on, the only way I could see the Borg showing up would be if they tried to assimilate the Dominion and Sisko was orderred to lead a fleet with the Defiant and stop them from becomming all powerful.

They Did appear in the Opening of "Emissary" in that Flashback :wow:

Anywho, I read that the writers did indeed attept Borg Stories, but nothing ever came up.

They were thinking about Sisko maybe going out for Revenge, but after First Contact, it became clear that Picard was the one with Vengeance in mind.

The Borg VS The Dominion?? That would be One Hell Of A Fight.

Well, the Borg just wouldn't fit in to the story.  The Borg wouldn't be interrested in the Bajorrans and I doubt the Cardassians, thus the Borg wouldn't be anywhere near DS9.  However, we did get to see the Defiant fight the Cube in ST:FC, so that was pretty cool.  I wish the scene was longer though.

Anywho, while there were a lot of Seven-centerred episodes, the Borg were only featured in about 12 episodes, so I don't think they got overused.  Each episode was quite unique in how the Borg were utilized, it wasn't just another "Voyager runs into the Borg" story.

As far as the Borg assimilating changlings?  They couldn't assimilate Data, so perhaps they can't assimilate Odo?  My theory as to why they couldn't assimilate Data is that if they tried, his nueral net might fail, and they didn't want to risk that since they needed the Enterprise computer decryption codes.

If DS9 were still on, the only way I could see the Borg showing up would be if they tried to assimilate the Dominion and Sisko was orderred to lead a fleet with the Defiant and stop them from becomming all powerful.

1. Why would the Borg not fit in? I can see no reason why they wouldnt have.

2. Why would the Borg not be interested in the Bajorans or the Cardassians? I mean, they'll assimilate pretty much anything and those races have technology hat the Borg could use

3. I said they were being used 'so much' on Voyager. I never said 'over used'. My point being, they belonged to that programme.

4. Data couldnt be assimilated as he has no bilogical parts. Simple as that. The Borg actually did try to re-verse assimilate him, as it were, by adding biological parts to his artificial body.

5. Stop who from becoming all powerful? The Borg? The Dominion? I dont think the Federation would get involved in a Borg Domion dispute.

I fear repeating Prometheus as he always says exactly what I'm thinking. The Borg are aliens..they go as they please and do wha they want..Of Course the borg could have assimilated the Bojorans/Carrdies = "Why would the Borg not be interested in the Bajorans or the Cardassians? I mean, they'll assimilate pretty much anything and those races have technology hat the Borg could use"

They could have assimialted Odo if they had put the hive on it.. Ketracel White presents a problem..but maybe they could have weened the then drones off it?

Well, the Borg just wouldn't fit in to the story.  The Borg wouldn't be interrested in the Bajorrans and I doubt the Cardassians, thus the Borg wouldn't be anywhere near DS9.  However, we did get to see the Defiant fight the Cube in ST:FC, so that was pretty cool.  I wish the scene was longer though.

Anywho, while there were a lot of Seven-centerred episodes, the Borg were only featured in about 12 episodes, so I don't think they got overused.  Each episode was quite unique in how the Borg were utilized, it wasn't just another "Voyager runs into the Borg" story.

As far as the Borg assimilating changlings?  They couldn't assimilate Data, so perhaps they can't assimilate Odo?  My theory as to why they couldn't assimilate Data is that if they tried, his nueral net might fail, and they didn't want to risk that since they needed the Enterprise computer decryption codes.

2. Why would the Borg not be interested in the Bajorans or the Cardassians? I mean, they'll assimilate pretty much anything and those races have technology hat the Borg could use

3. I said they were being used 'so much' on Voyager. I never said 'over used'. My point being, they belonged to that programme.

4. Data couldnt be assimilated as he has no bilogical parts. Simple as that. The Borg actually did try to re-verse assimilate him, as it were, by adding biological parts to his artificial body.

5. Stop who from becoming all powerful? The Borg? The Dominion? I dont think the Federation would get involved in a Borg Domion dispute.

1. Well, the story of DS9 just didn't seem like the Borg would fit in, becuase they had the Dominion to deal with and all. It's just my opinion though.

2. Seven said the Kazon were too "primitive" to be assimilated by the Borg, so they might see the Bajorrans in the same light. As for the Cardassians? Doesn't the Federation, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Empire offer far more to the Borg in terms of technology and all?

3. Ah, when I saw "so much", I was thinking "too much". My mistake. :wow:

4. The Enterprise has no biological parts, and they assimilate the ship. Seven was able to partially assimilated Voyager too. We've also see Holo-Doc's mobile emitter assimalated after a trasporter accident. We even saw direct assimilated of NX-01 Enterprise technology, simply from a drone infecting it with nanaprobes. So, with this said, there's no reason they couldn't assimilate Data, except for my theory, which is that they'd probably crash his nueral net in the process, thus loosing the very info they were after.

5. Stop the Borg from becoming all powerful. If the Borg successfully assimilated the Dominion, there'd be nothing to stop them from going after the Federation next. This is why the Federation would have Starfleet get involved.

Whatever the pros and the cons, I'm glad they stayed out of DS9.

I never liked the Borg THAT much, and except in VOY, ussualy the borg means mass destruction.

No DS9 serie left if you destroy Bajor and the station.. ehehe

DS9 took its own twist. We have VOY coming home and confuting the Borg on many occasions. For this reason DS9 could not also confront the Borg. As you know both of the series were basically on at the same time so you can’t have them both dealing with the same thing because that just would not make sense.

I do like the Borg and I think that they are a good addition to the ST universe. However, I really think that VOY did some bad moves with the Borg and this really degraded the Borg.

Dominion vs the Borg:

I would say that the Dominion would probably fair just as well as the Federation against the Borg. (Just maybe a little better)

Before the Federation went to war with the Dominion or have even heard of them the Federation seemed to be more relaxed when it comes to their role as a military, but the Dominion changed that (and the Borg could also change that just as easily). So in these terms the Dominion do have an advantage that the Federation does not. However, long term the Federation would be just as potent.

Of course what I’m saying is just speculation.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

1. Well, the story of DS9 just didn't seem like the Borg would fit in, becuase they had the Dominion to deal with and all. It's just my opinion though.

2. Seven said the Kazon were too "primitive" to be assimilated by the Borg, so they might see the Bajorrans in the same light. As for the Cardassians? Doesn't the Federation, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Empire offer far more to the Borg in terms of technology and all?

3. Ah, when I saw "so much", I was thinking "too much". My mistake. :wow:

4. The Enterprise has no biological parts, and they assimilate the ship. Seven was able to partially assimilated Voyager too. We've also see Holo-Doc's mobile emitter assimalated after a trasporter accident. We even saw direct assimilated of NX-01 Enterprise technology, simply from a drone infecting it with nanaprobes. So, with this said, there's no reason they couldn't assimilate Data, except for my theory, which is that they'd probably crash his nueral net in the process, thus loosing the very info they were after.

5. Stop the Borg from becoming all powerful. If the Borg successfully assimilated the Dominion, there'd be nothing to stop them from going after the Federation next. This is why the Federation would have Starfleet get involved.

Im not going to go into a big dragged out debate ion this, BUT:

As I originally said, DS9 had it's own tone and the Borg would have ruined that in a great dose, but the odd appearance would have been interesting, and we cant deny that!

The Kazon had no technology of their own. That was why THEY were too primitive. They stole from the Trabe after being enslaved and barely knew how to fly their ships. And the majority of them lived in little camps. The Bajorans were in space when we had our first sailing ships. The Cardassians are very well advanced! And as for the Borg going for a jucier target.... they dont do that! They take whatever is in their path.

Do you think the Borg cared about Data's neural net? Im sure their trechnology would have rebuilt it/compensated for it, blah blah...

I dont personally think that the Borg would have grown all that significantly with the addition of the Dminion. How big is the Borg? How old is it? It's flippin huge!

Ketracel White presents a problem..but maybe they could have weened the then drones off it?

Not really.

A Borg Drone Is Provided everything the Particular Species' Body is needed to survive.

DS9 highlighted the Dominion and the Gamma quadrant. VOY highlighted the Borg and the Delta quadrant. It would have been unimaginative to say the least to have both series basicily confronting the same enemy. Although would have liked one episode with the Defiant doing what it was designed to do: kick some borg butt! :rolleyes: However, it would have ruined the feel and uniqeness of DS9. DS9 was darker and more complex then any other Star Trek, for better or worse. (mostly better) It would have completely ruined the feel of DS9 to instead of having the untrustworthy, sneaky, lying Dominion and Cardassians (I'm going with the theory that the Cardie's would NOT ally with the borg and declare war on the Federation) as the main enemys, to have the stupid, vapid, crush-'em-an'-mush-'em no brainer borg as the foe's. It would have reduced DS9 to more-or-lss a VOY clone in slightly different circumstances. It would have ruined the show.

The Borg would probably assimilate the cloaking technology of the Dominion, making them truly unstoppable in regards to the last question...

I think the Borg could have shown up in an epic 3-part episode, attempting to assimilate the Dominion as a one time cross-over event. As long as they keep it to a one-time thing, then it could work out very well. However, they didn't, so oh well. Would'a been cool, though. :rolleyes:

So long as they didn't make it a story arc or of an real importance plot-wise then I wouldn't be too much against the idea. However the Borg and DS9 just do not really match.

Which was cool and helped introduce Sisko and the first story arc of DS9. :rolleyes: I personally think that the Borg idea has been used up by now in the 24th century timeline. I think that Enterprise might be able to use and explore the Borg a bit more but I wouldn't like it to be a major story arc as it would be getting to repetitive.

Hopefuly, if we get another late 24th century Star Trek, thanks to the actions of Voyager in it's last episode, we will see very little of the boring borg.

That would be ace. A final, incredible, blaze of glory from the freshly evolved Borg... :rolleyes: It could also be a damnably good movie, with maybe from a different perspective this time. I personaly would really like seeing Bajor's viewpoint, several years after DS9, with StarFleet occupying a secondary role...

Why didnt future Borg go back in time and give themselves really advanced technology?

That is a very good question as we all know that they had the capability to do so. But if they had done so Starfleet would have been in real trouble.