Sign in to follow this  
Gary Phaserman

I thought this was worth sharing...

This is a letter written by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace, USMC, to all the children of those serving in the US Military. I read it, and it means alot to me that he would write this for a couple of reasons: 1, my father made the Navy his career, and 2, it applies to my children, and my nephews and nieces.

Special message from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Gen. Peter Pace

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- I want to take this opportunity to recognize the extraordinary contributions of our nation's military families, who have faced many challenges - from family separations to frequent moves - with great courage. I would especially like to acknowledge a special source of inspiration: children of military families.

You are patient and understanding when duty calls and your mom or dad cannot attend a soccer game, music recital, birthday party, or other important family or school activity. You are heroes in a quiet, thoughtful way, and I am grateful for the unconditional love you give your mom and dad. Many of you have experienced the sad and sometimes frightening experience of having your mom or dad far from home, serving around the globe in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Through your personal courage and support, you serve this nation, too - and I am proud of you!

Frequent moves are a way of life for the military child. It is never easy to say goodbye to friends and familiar routines, to begin again in a new school, a new neighborhood - and sometimes a new country! But your resilience and self-confidence are strengths that others admire, including your parents.

Growing up in a military family offers some challenges, but it also provides some special rewards. You can be proud of your mom and dad for their brave defense of this great country. Your love and support sustains them. So thank you for being there for mom and dad. You are American patriots and role models for us all.

I think those kids aught to get a Medal. growing up, I knew alot of kids who's parents were in the Military (Neither of mine were), and I always wondered how they managed to deal with the constant moving, and the deployments and such. I suppose this is about as close to a Letter of Commendation as a Military Child can get, right?

They should get a medal. My daughter is too young, she won't remember when I was in the Marines, but I'm sure at some point, she'll see all the pictures of me, and ask me about my time.