Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

HELP! - Dad hates DS9 & VOY big time!

Grettings, all! :bow:

I have a dillemma. My dad hates DS9 and VOY big time. The reason why he hates DS9 is because of the Bajorran religous stuff, the "aliens with the freaky make-up and stupid costumes", and the station being like a space hotel. That's how he sees the show. As for VOY? He actually gets mad just talking about it! B) He hated how it became the "Janeway/Seven" show, how it was all feminine, how Seven "acted like a Nazi" (as he says), the way they'd get into a conflict for an hour and solve it at the last minute... and so on. There's just too much to list about why he hates VOY.

Anywho, personally, I enjoyed both shows equally and plan to get the season sets.

However, here's the problem. Every time I sit down for VOY, weeknights, he has to make all these condescending remarks about the show, poke holes everywhere he can find, insult the characters, and so forth. It's down right annoying and he'll probably do the same when I get my DS9 Season 1 set.

My question is: How do I get him to STOP! B)

Any ideas? :bow:

THANKS B)

1. He has a TV in his room, but that doesn't stop him from wanderring into the living room.

2. I'd get a bedroom TV except the 31" TV is my TV and wouldn't fit. B)

3. Well, if I had DS9 season sets, I could watch in the morning and on the PC... However, that still leaves the problem of VOY which is on as he gets ready for bed.

4. Can't afford to move out at this time.

It's just so annoying, he can't just say it's "a stupid show" and leave it at that. Oh know, he has to "TELL" you why it's stupid.

Explain to him how much you enjoy the shows and that you would like to share that with him, but also explain to him that with him running the shows down it lessens your enjoyment. Ask him if he will sit with you and watch DS9 eisode by episode untill he sees them all, then if he still doesn't like it then fine.

I can understand how the religous aspect could be disturbing for some people. The Bajorans religion and worship of the Prophets is a huge part of the show and to the Federation the Prophets aren't gods they are "Wormhole Aliens". Just ask him to over look that aspect as being science fiction, something to make the story more interesting. It stands to reason that if there was really alien life out there somewhere and if they are anything like humanity they too will have gods they worship and that fact isn't inconsistant with Christianity. Our God could have just as easily created other worlds with beings worshiping him in different ways then we do.

I don't think you can go wrong though if you explain to him how much you enjoy these shows and that you want to share them with him in a meaningful way. Just let him know that it's important to you.

Well he is a Christian like me, but as far as the religous thing goes... He just think it's "stupid". B)

Watch every episode? :bow: This guy doesn't do things with people becuase "they" like to do it. Basically, if he doesn't like a movie or TV show, he doesn't care if you like it or not, if he doesn't like it he's not going to "waist his time" as he puts it.

As for my enjoying it? He doesn't care. He thinks it's stupid for reasons given in the above post, so if you like something he thinks is stupid, he'll still call it stupid.

Basically, the guy doesn't care about your "feelings" unless you're a girl. Last time I checked, I'm a guy, so I'm flat out of luck.

DS9, he might be "easy" on once I get past the first 2 seasons. VOY is the one he's so harsh on. Tonight, he actually got mad just talking about it, becuase the show is "so stupid". B)

Is he interfering with your being to watch the show like obstructing the view or turning off the set or is it that his opinion bothers you?

If he's physically interfering with watching VOY - tape it and watch it later. If it's his opinion that bothers you:

You can't change other people - the only thing we can really control is ourselves. I don't know how you react to his comments - but how you react will determine how far it goes.

You might try saying "I know Dad you're absolutely right...it is stupid but I choose to watch it anyway" or just let his comments pass without saying anything.

Well, it's just that he complains about how "stupid" it is while I watch and makes condescending comments durring the show. Just the irritating stuff, nothing major like telling me to turn it off.

Any ideas on how to defend VOY? :biggrin:

I would do the same to him. I would say such things about a TV series HE likes very much. Then he would maybe get to know that this hurts a lot.

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well, it's just that he complains about how "stupid" it is while I watch and makes condescending comments durring the show.  Just the irritating stuff, nothing major like telling me to turn it off.

"Hey Dad, I know you don't like this show because, as you call it, it's the Janeway/Seven show. Why does that bother you? Are strong female characters a threat to your manhood?

Well, it's just that he complains about how "stupid" it is while I watch and makes condescending comments durring the show.  Just the irritating stuff, nothing major like telling me to turn it off.

"Hey Dad, I know you don't like this show because, as you call it, it's the Janeway/Seven show. Why does that bother you? Are strong female characters a threat to your manhood?

oh ouch. lol. that could give you and the show more respect. lol.

(or get you in deep trouble. lol)

Any ideas on how to defend VOY? :o

He'd get mad and then go on about how Seven acts like a Nazi and how Janeway makes poor command decissions. :biggrin:

It has nothing to do with them being "females", but more of how the characters. That, and he thinks every episode is "magically solved" in the last 5 minutes, that or it "didn't really happen". That's his main reason for disliking the show.

One time, I was watching "Message in a Bottle". He comes in there and sits on the day bed (our couch) and starts making snide remarks like saying it felt like a comedy, calling the EMH 2 irritating, and so forth. (heavy sigh)

CJLP as long as you keep responding he'll keep making comments. If you want it to stop you have to stop it by not responding. That's what Steven Covey would describe as being pro-active rather than re-active. Why does it matter what he thinks anyway?

My dad does that, too. Only... with everything. He starts making comments. It's not that he hates the shows. It's just that he... likes making comments, I guess. It is quite annoying:

"If they can walk through anything, then how come they can't fall through the floors?"

"Oh come on, they weren't even ready for that attack?"

"You mean they didn't see that one coming?"

Or he'll start saying dialogue before the people say it and then he says, "You know what, I could write these things."

I usually just turn the volume up.

Here's something to do, though. Tape the show and then watch it while he's not around.

Invite a friend over and watch a show you both know by heart, noisily voice opinions which are positive in content (drown him out) while making a big deal about how FUN it is.

Grettings, all! B)

I have a dillemma.  My dad hates DS9 and VOY big time.  The reason why he hates DS9 is because of the Bajorran religous stuff, the "aliens with the freaky make-up and stupid costumes", and the station being like a space hotel.  That's how he sees the show.  As for VOY?  He actually gets mad just talking about it! :wow: He hated how it became the "Janeway/Seven" show, how it was all feminine, how Seven "acted like a Nazi" (as he says), the way they'd get into a conflict for an hour and solve it at the last minute... and so on.  There's just too much to list about why he hates VOY.

Anywho, personally, I enjoyed both shows equally and plan to get the season sets.

However, here's the problem.  Every time I sit down for VOY, weeknights, he has to make all these condescending remarks about the show, poke holes everywhere he can find, insult the characters, and so forth.  It's down right annoying and he'll probably do the same when I get my DS9 Season 1 set.

My question is: How do I get him to STOP! :hug:

Any ideas? :)

:hug: Man He needs a realy cheek. dose he think you are going to go and become a Bajorran? :hug:

Captain I hope this sugestion will be helpful. Maybe the solution is that you both will just have to agree that you both have different opinions about Star Trek, But since you both live in the same house, could he( your dad) simply respect your desire to watch and enjoy it. Maybe if you talk to him and ask him to please try to respect and understand that it means a lot to you to watch the show. Encourage him to watch something else while it's on in another room. Tell him in a nice way that it's hard for you to enjoy it when he is making comments. Let him know that you respect his opinion even though you don't agree. But you'd just like to enjoy it when it's on. So maybe it would be best if he could get into something else during the time it's on the air.

Captain if this doesn't work, and if the other suggestions offered don't work either...........then I really just don't know whether there is a solution until you can afford to move out on your on. Anyway, good luck. :wow:

If you can watch it anyway, just act as his comments don't reach you.

If he sees that he talks for himself, he may stop.

I had the same kind of problem some 8 years ago...

The problem was worse.. No one except me in the house could understand English, so I had to translate the show...

At a point, I was just ignoring the comments until a commercial break :P

Now there's an idea!  Tell him if he doesn't like it, to leave the room! <_<

Beware, you do not want to get your tv shows in the way of a father son relationship. I tell my father "If you dont like the show, you dont have to watch. I already made so many sacrifices for you with everything, I do my chores make good grades, as well." Normally, he is frustrating and doesnt even know what show is on and complains, heck I think its a father thing, but I do have my mom's support because I help out around the house since she currently has a bad hip and just does her catering service. With me doing EXTRA around the house, he ignores what I watch. Hopefully, my little life story would help you out, just speak your mind, and if all else fails ask him to watch one episode with you, (that you know isnt too religious with DS9, or too woman with VOY, such as a Kes episode), and he eventually will loose interest in leaving you alone. Or you can compromise and say that you can watch something that he likes, even though you might think it is boring. He just might be reaching out to you really saying that he just wants to spend some quality time with you. (I knowi its dumb that he doesnt just say it out, but it could just be the way he communicates, indirectly instead of directly)

My mam is like that but rather than making comments she just pics up the remotes and changes the channel. :bow:

:dude: