Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

What topic you want to see covered?

What topic have you thought would be good for Star Trek, in it's many forms, deal with. It's often been said that Star Trek is a soap opera in space. I personally would have found it interesting for DS9 to see them deal with domestic abuse. Don't call me sick or anything, just how Odo would react to see "solids" hitting each other in a marriage. Plus, it would be odd to say the least that domestic abuse still happens in the 24th century.

Actually I thought it was a "Wagon Train" to the stars.

I think sometimes as Trek fans we may have forgotten that other shows also address social issues even back in the 60's.

I think that since Star Trek became a little too self congratulatory in it's later incarnations regarding its ability to addres social issues - then it should have addressed some - I thought ENT did a lousy job - except for Similitude which was a terrific foray into the unseen consequences of scientific experiments.

I think child abuse and then child custody would have been very relevant - such as the international trade in child prostitution - ENT could have addressed this on contact with a new world. TNG did address the issue of child custody once.

I think Law & Order probably does a better job that the two latest Trek series of addressing social issues.

Numb3rs actually has my regard on this matter - because they addressed the issue of science and archeaological artifacts - such as the tribal rights issue at the heart of the Kennewick man debate and a personal peeve of mine, they've also addressed other issues including organ donation and science vs psychics without being too heavyhanded - which was IMO ENT's approach.

What topic have you thought would be good for Star Trek, in it's many forms, deal with. It's often been said that Star Trek is a soap opera in space. I personally would have found it interesting for DS9 to see them deal with domestic abuse. Don't call me sick or anything, just how Odo would react to see "solids" hitting each other in a marriage. Plus, it would be odd to say the least that domestic abuse still happens in the 24th century.

Domestic abuse came up in one episode of DS9 but only in passing. In Crossfire, Odo mentions that a Bajoran resident named Ijarna had been assaulted by his wife again. Kira wonders why he stays with her as this isn't the first time. Odo then goes onto explain that he later caught the two engaging in "public lewdness" on the Promenade later that same night.

And Odo's reaction really was much to talk about.