Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Inspiration Behind Bender?

After noticing this rather peculiar comic book cover in some comic book guide at the library, I've found that it may invariably be that Matt Groening got his design from a Startling Comics issue No.49 circa 1948.

StartlingComics49.JPG

Though, as a sort of trivia and conspiracy theory for those slightly/overboardly unbalanced Futurama fans: Bender did end up in the year 1947 in the episode “Roswell That Ends Well”.

To me, Bender looks like just how most sci-fi robots in the 50's looked. From Star Trek, look at Satan's Robot. For Sci-Fi, look at the example above and Forbidden Planet.

To me, Bender looks like just how most sci-fi robots in the 50's looked. From Star Trek, look at Satan's Robot. For Sci-Fi, look at the example above and Forbidden Planet.
Well, Satan's Robot is basically the same thing from these 1930s serials about Atlantis called Undersea Kingdom whilst the whole Captain Proton look outfit with the dials on the leather-jacket is derived Commando Cody. <_<

Good ol' Bender Bending Rodriguez... And they actually made it constant through the show, instead of some cartoons that don't care about continuity... Wait... How many times was New New York destroyed :angry:

Good ol' Bender Bending Rodriguez... And they actually made it constant through the show, instead of some cartoons that don't care about continuity... Wait... How many times was New New York destroyed :angry:
Mmmmm, that one I don't know... But there was something I found to be an error, I think: in 2443, the second coming of Jesus erased all videotapes on Earth (I think the Star Trek tapes of the classic 79 survived since they were on the forbidden planet of Omega 3..) so, in turn, that doesn't help out when the Omicron Persians want to see the last episode of Single Female Lawyer, but in a previous episode: Fry buys assorted videotapes of 20th century era television shows and commercials after opening up his bank account of 4.3 billion dollars in A Fishful of Dollars..

I'm prolly nitpicking more than one should..