Sign in to follow this  
Yillara Skye

Soong Family Thread

OK, Yillara here and I decided to start this thread for my fellow Soongs as well as anyone who would like to discuss: Data, Lore, or any member of the Soong family. And we mustn't forget the man who gave us so much to talk about...Brent Spiner!

In this thread we can discuss the Soong family, Brent and his career. Keep people informed of an opportunity to see Brent in non-Trek movies, or read/hear interviews. Post previews of fan fiction about Data or his family(if you want to put whole stories online, please post in the Stories section of the board, just snippets in this thread please). Post quotes that a member of the Soong family have said, if you want.

Note: this went really well at ST.com, even though it was just the four Soong sisters on the thread. And this thread is to help us Soong Sisters stay on track and ON topic elsewhere on the boards :lol: !!

And if you are not a Soong sister, don't worry we'd never turn you away ! If you like any member of the Soong family :D :lol: (yes, EVEN B4), don't be afraid to post here!!!!

Thanks VaBeachGuy for letting us have our indulgence here. :bow:

I was watching parts of Master of Disguise today - ok I'll fess up I own the DVD, I didn't want to admit it but Brent with the goatee was worth the price alone...anywho...I watched some of the special features on the DVD and they had the usual talking to the cast stuff and I was really disappointed. It started off with Brent saying he was a fan of Dana Carvey's (which you would of course expect him to say) but when they had clips of Dana Carvey talking about Brent all he said was that Brent taught how to do a Patrick Stewart imitation. What gives with that!!!! That was ALL he said. No what a great actor he is or anything just he taught me how to do Patrick Stewart. Yeeesh!!!

Well, the nerve of some people!!!

Yes, I received a note saying that we were free to start the thread, I mean there are more than just the four of us on this thread who like/love/are crazy about him!!!!

Yes. The story I had once written inspired me to illustrate at least some of the charactes not seen in Star Trek before, Yillara included. And since she is my screen name, I put her picture there as my avatar. I(my real self) appear in the story too, and YES it is a TNG related story that involves a lot of timeline shifting! But, since some sections seemed far fetched, and the time shifting became more complicated than expected, so the story has gone by the wayside.... Maybe later....

I can see what I still have.... I had the two pictures that were my avatars, as well as a picture of Yillara's wicked sister Liara(Lore's girlfriend in my story- and no she wasn't always wicked, she just is out for a little revenge for having Lore taken from her!). I can try to add these, later on.

Basically I have a base from which I go from. Since I have trouble drawing the human form, I find a base character that is really close to who I plan to draw and go from there. By the time I get done, it usually looks nothing like who I started from. Sometimes I will go completely from scratch, though.

Other things I have done, is the title screens for our end of the summer production we do at my gym.

Wow, yillara, you drew those? I didn't know that! They're amazing!

And I completely understand about owning Master of Disguise. I would buy it too if I had the money. Oh ya, we're obsessed. (but that;s going toward the season DVDs for now)

Master of Disguise is one of those movies that you really don't want to admit you own. I was surprised by all of the cameos they had - Bo Derek, Jessica Simpson (I think that's her name), Jesse Ventura and others that I can't think of at this time. I guess they thought it was a good idea at the time. :bow:

Ladies, our discussions regarding our beloved Data and Lore is now being quarantined to our thread. Celtic Swimmer has officially warned us about getting off topic. So, we now mus post either here or PM each other.. The first seems to be better since all four of us(and any who wish to join us) can see. She said she has removed some of our posts which makes sense since they WERE off topic, but we can still have our fun here! And talk about other facets of TNG and the Movies, out there.

And heads, up I believe we'll be having a vistor to our family thread very soon....

You sound so mysterious Yillara. I have reposted our pictures mostly because I like them. :bow: I certainly appreciate the efforts of CS to the board and I will pledge to do my best to stay on topic.

Summary of off topic stuff we said. We have decided we like Data in all clothes - black the best, violet the least but he still looks good. Lore looks great all the time too although the black outfit in Descent did make him look a little like a catcher for the Borg All-Stars. I think that about sums it up.

tng11401.jpgtng17701.jpgtng25301.jpg

OK, so I will let the mystery go...Alterego said that he is going to have a post regarding Data for us really soon. I have no idea what about, but he told us to check it out when he places it here.

You know, I really DO appreciate what C-S has done for everyone, even though the warning came as a bit of a surprise to us girls! But, I too, pledge to try and stay on topic!

Thanks for reposting the pictures :bow: ,(Lore looks so great in those!)and when you think about it we didn't get off topic in too many places.. And we only had a couple of minor discussions in those threads. the only one you missed was whether or not we liked Immortal Coil, and the contents/review of Metamorphosis. That was it, except for the other threads that other people started about Data and his family.

As for MY pictures, I will try to post them soon (my art and maybe a couple of my favorite pictures of Data!)

Hello Sisters of Soong!

Here is what you have been waiting for, I hope it was worth the wait, if not sorry for all the anticipation I caused.

My daughter (9) has brought it to my attention, in all of her readings of your gushes for Data (not an insult, she loves him to) She has not read anything about Brent being in Dude, Where's my Car? on your threads. She say’s,

"Didn't you know he is in it? He was a French guy who loved ostriches. He had a cute mustache, he looks gooooood wub.gif in a mustache!".

How cute!! I haven't seen Dude Where's My Car but I had heard that Brent's brief appearance was classic. I agree about the mustache part as I thought he looked great with a goatee.

I too heard about the "Dude Where's My Car" part. But, I too have not seen it, I usually don't watch those types of movies. . .I may have to make an exception.....

I think we should make Alterego's daughter an official member of the family. How about little_sister_soong for a handle?

little_sister_soong says; (very quickly, it's is now past her bedtime)

I like the name for me, thank you. I got to go to bed now, goodnight.

Thank you sisters for making her feel welcome.

goodnight little_sister :bow: ! You are always welcome here!

And feel free to post here too, Alterego!! :)

Time for me to go too, I have a lot to do in preparation for my students first out of gym competition that is scheduled for Saturday night. First of all, I need to stop being soo nervous and get a good night's sleep! I got nervous before any of my competitions, and I realize that I still get nervous(even if it is not my meet). I'd hate to see me if I was invited to come back out of "retirement"(that's what my boss/coach calls it - I don't compete anymore because of age limits, but never quit or retired!).

I will post results when I get back from the meet, Saturday night. It works to be placed in our thread, since one of my little girls reminds me of Lal, and she even kinda looks like her too.

little_soong_sister has probably gone to bed by now, but I'll say good-night and welcome to her, too.

Yillara, relax, everything will be fine.

And, sigh, yet another movie to add to my must see list. What is it so far?

1. Master of Disguise

2. Introducing Dorothy Dandridge

3. Dude, Where's My Car

4. All unseen episodes of Star Trek (but that's a given)

am I missing anything?

Ah 5. Nemesis (duh, ok, now I know I need sleep)

Edited by Alterego

So, much for sleep. . .hmmm my movies/tv shows/ stories need to see list (the ones containing Brent or Data....

1)Master of Disguise

2)Dude, Where's My Car

3) I Am Sam

4)that episode of Frasier, when it comes back on

6) finish reading Lessa's story!

7)Get Nemesis as a late Birthday present in May,

and watch almost all of the movie over and

over. I probably will forever skip the most

horrible scene of our lives. The reason I

rarely if ever say......Goodbye. Never said it

much before, now I can hardly even think to

ever use it.

But that is my list to this date, however.. It is part of a much longer list, since I have yet to see Chicago, and Gods and Generals, and several other movies I want to see.

I have the soundtrack for Chicago, and I adore it and I saw the behind the scenes of the movie.....now to get to the theater before it leaves...

I'm hoping that the movie he was in that was just on tv will be shown in Canada. If not I guess I'll have to hope that it will be available on DVD or video.

I haven't seen Chicago. I was checking on Broadway board and there are a bunch of people there who are horrified at the prospect of Melanie Griffith taking over the role of Roxie Hart in the Broadway production.

Nemesis was the first "grown-up" movie I had seen in ages in the theatres.

I know, I have the soundtrack. It's amazing, it makes ME want to dance (and I NEVER dance. I mean NEVER)

Kind of off topic, but I posted an article about SARS and West Nile Virus in the off topic board, and I was wondering what you guys thought...

Gosh I'm listening to Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back on my Window Media Player while I'm on the boards and it is really fun! :bow:

hmmm...Brent singing. A wonderful thought!!

Did you ever read the remark Brent made about singing in Star Trek? He said that "Data sings in this movie, though I think I sing better than he does."

Don't remember where I saw that, but it had to do with Insurrection. And that part of the interview just struck me as highly amusing.

It was either in a transcript or convention report on St.com...I read that too. He's got a great sense of humour as well!

He is a great singer. Even better is his ability to sing in character. Some people can't do that - they revert to singing as themselves in a part. Listening to him sing as Gil Godwyn in Out to Sea is a great example. I can see what he means about Data except I think when he sang in Nemesis he sound more like him than he had in other movies but that might be because the music was more to his personal taste. And he does sing differently as Lore than he does as Data.