Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

New Friday the 13th Film To Be Released This Year

Jason Vorhees Lives!

Tuesday February 14 6:50 PM ET

You just can't keep a good psycho killer down.

Hollywood testosterone king Michael Bay has been charged with breathing new life into Jason Vorhees and resurrecting the Friday the 13th franchise with a prequel.

Bay's production company, Platinum Dunes, will attempt to crank out the 11th installment in the hearty horror series for New Line Cinema by October--on Friday the 13th, natch.

Per the trades, Bay's company is scrambling to meet the pre-Halloween deadline. The script, by Mark Wheaton, is not yet finished and there's no immediate word on a director or cast.

The new, untitled chapter in the ongoing saga of the hockey-masked antihero Jason is purportedly going to be a prelude to Sean S. Cunningham's original Friday the 13th, which was released by Paramount in 1980. The horror classic followed the hacking up of various teens at Camp Crystal Lake. The low-budget gorefest grossed more than $40 million and spawned a franchise that eventually descended into camp with 1989's Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.

New Line bought the rights to the never-say-die slasher series in 1993 from Paramount and churned out Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday that same year. But it was far from being the "final Friday": The studio embraced the space age by launching the series into orbit with 2001's Jason X.

The studio then decided to pit two of its aging horror icons against each other, Jason and Nightmare on Elm Street's Freddy Krueger, in 2003's battle royale, Jason vs. Freddy. The face-off scared its way to $82 million in ticket sales.

New Line has been trying to figure out more ways to unleash Jason on moviegoers in the past few years. First, the studio toyed with the idea of another combo deal, with Ash from the Evil Dead movies joining the fray. But that fell through when filmmaker Sam Raimi decided to relaunch Evil Dead separately.

Then, New Line reached out to Quentin Tarantino to put his stamp on the Friday the 13th franchise. Tarantino also passed.

Now it's up to Bay and his Platinum Dunes to do for Friday the 13th what it did with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The production company's 2003 remake of Massacre exceeded expectations, raking in more than $80 million and spawning a prequel, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. The latter, starring Jordana Brewster, is scheduled to unspool Oct. 6, a week before the new Friday.

Bay is seeking a return to blockbuster form after last summer's box-office bomb The Island. His hit credits include Armageddon, Bay Boys II, Pearl Harbor and The Rock.

Great news for fans like me :laugh:

my personal favorite film was Friday the 13th Part VII, when the psychic girl split Jason's mask in half and you saw Jason's face

amask8jo.jpg

It gave me nightmares for a while, it was dark when I watched it the first time when I was a kid. Creepy stuff. Jason X is probably least favorite since it's the least creepy

my personal favorite film was Friday the 13th Part VII, when the psychic girl split Jason's mask in half and you saw Jason's face

amask8jo.jpg

It gave me nightmares for a while, it was dark when I watched it the first time when I was a kid. Creepy stuff. Jason X is probably least favorite since it's the least creepy

Looks like Alana in the morning with no makeup

amask8jo.jpg

Looks like Alana in the morning with no makeup

You better pray she never reads that, Joe..... :lol:

:lol: yep! There are going to be two more too, not joking at all. There will be 13 movies in the Friday the 13th series, so it's going to continue and fans like me couldn't be happier.

Edited by Gamera

Forgive my lack of enthusiasm. I'm not a big fan of Horror movies. I lived through a 20-minute stretch that made all the Jason Movies look tame, so after that, Horror movies are a let-down.

I lived through a 20-minute stretch that made all the Jason Movies look tame, so after that, Horror movies are a let-down.

Was that the time Julie caught you.....er....uh.....nevermind.......

No, I imagine if I ever got caught in "Foriegn Relations" with another woman, the results might not be so nasty. I had someone throwing grenades at me. not fun.

My nephew is excited about another Jason flick.

I'm just kinda so-so. :lol:

I've seen soooo many horror films in my life (it's about the only type of movies I watch anymore), that I've become so bored with the slasher genre....

I'd really like some innovation in the field. Something new.

No, I imagine if I ever got caught in "Foriegn Relations" with another woman, the results might not be so nasty. I had someone throwing grenades at me. not fun.

I don't know if I would put up with someone throwing grenades at me for 20 minutes. Sure the first couple minutes are exciting, but then it would get a little boring and then I would probably shoot him or something.

I was shooting, Van Roy. And so were about 20 Marines.

Jason X was horrible

As a horror movie, yes. But as a comedy, it was fantastic. :lol:

"What? You think a little poke in the ribs is gonna do me in?"

Whisssssssh

"That aughta do it...."

Liebesman makes date with a killer

Wed Feb 22, 1:14 AM ET

Jonathan Liebesman, director of the upcoming "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" prequel, is in negotiations to direct the remake of horror classic "Friday the 13th" for New Line Cinema.

"Friday" made Jason, the unstoppable hockey mask-wearing killer, a 1980s horror icon, though the serial killer made only a brief appearance in the final frames of the first movie. Jason didn't even don the famous mask until the third movie.

Jason will wear the mask for the remake, written by Mark Wheaton, which will incorporate components of the franchise's films. The setting will be that of the first movie, Crystal Lake.

Liebesman is wrapping production on the untitled "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" prequel, which, like the "Friday" remake, is produced by Platinum Dunes for New Line.

A Friday the 13th does fall in October this year, and there was speculation that the movie would be made quickly to capitalize on that. But Platinum Dunes and New Line already have scheduled the "Texas Chainsaw" prequel for release that month, on October 6. "Friday" will be a 2007 release.

Remake? My question is, it's a remake of which film? It says that Jason will wear the mask for the remake, but Jason wasn't even the killer in the first film. Not to mention they even said that he didn't wear the mask until the third film, which is true. Confusing. I'd rather have a new movie than a remake anyway

It sounds like they will redo the first movie except with Jason as the killer instead of his mother.