Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Voyager and Voyager

I've seen some people at another board say that they thing that the PTB named Voyager (the ship) after the VOyager 6 probe from TMP. I personally think that they did it because of the nature of the show. After all, they were taking a huge voyage home.

What do you all think?

I think that "Voyager" would be a pretty common name for a sea faring or space going vessel. I don't think that you have to read much into it. I wonder if the explanation may be in one of those Voyager Technical Manuals or something?

Edited by Kor37

I agree with Kor37, don't read to much into it. Most ships are named after earlier versions. It seems to be a common thing to do. Sea ship names given to space ships and so on.

i have a book called A vision of the future star trek voyager byt stephen edward poe about the behind the scenes stuff of voyager and you should have seen the list of possible names that had. the first list didn't even have anything with voyager in it. i'm kind of glad they went with it. it has a nice ring to it. some of the name possibilites were Star trek: the return,Star trek:the voyage home,Star trek:galaxy's end,the voyager,return of the voyager,fligh of the voyager,galaxy's rim, and outer bounds. that's just some of the possible names that were thrown around before they decided on voyager.

so it makes me appreciate the fact they went with plain old voyager.

tm

Although I'm a fan of everything Trek, I don't like the idea of naming a series after the name of the feature ship.

A veeerrryy late reply-in case anybody is looking!-but then I am late, sure, way late to this party!.....I think the name was given as an appropos one based upon the nature of STV-my fave. Hmm...Voyager meets V'Ger..? Could have happened!

I always read it was named after the Voyager probe. I think that's just an in-universe excuse for naming it Voyager when the real reason is becouase of the loong voyage home.

I kind of like how it can be viewed both ways, since seeing the movie first then the Voyager Series, I thought of that myself whilst watching the series for the first time.

I've seen some people at another board say that they thing that the PTB named Voyager (the ship) after the VOyager 6 probe from TMP. I personally think that they did it because of the nature of the show. After all, they were taking a huge voyage home.

What do you all think?

The In Universe explanation (i.e. why STARFLEET named it Voyager) for Voyager's name is that it was probably named after the Voyager probes (the real world 1 and 2 and the fictious 6). Starfleet could not have possibly been aware of the fact that Voyager would have such a long voyage home when they named the ship.

In reality, (i.e. why the PRODUCERS named it Voyager) was probably a combination of the Voyager probe homage and the fact that they are voyaging home. It also wouldn't surprise me that there was a connection made between the U.S.S. Voyager being the farthest human-made object from Earth and as of right now, Voyager I is the farthest human-made object from Earth.

It also wouldn't surprise me that there was a connection made between the U.S.S. Voyager being the farthest human-made object from Earth and as of right now, Voyager I is the farthest human-made object from Earth.

That's an interesting idea, one that I've never even thought of.

:)

Although I'm a fan of everything Trek, I don't like the idea of naming a series after the name of the feature ship.

Three out of the five series were named after the feature ship (or in DS9's case, station). Personally I don't have a problem with it. It makes sense that TNG wasn't named after the ship because that might have caused some confusion when it first came out where people would think it was the same ship as TOS and stuff like that.

I think it does make sense that it would have been named after the Voyager probe. I mean how many things do we have now that are named Enterprise. It just follows the line

I liked the name, sure it may be a little corny, but it's a unique part of the show, and i'm into unique. "Mama, mama, can't you see, (repeat) what the Marine Corps ha,as done for me."