Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What if they made a TOS remake?

What if the 6th series, after Enterprise, is a remake of TOS?

Personally, I feel this would kill off the franchise for two reasons:

1. Loyal fans would boycott the 6th series.

2. Star Trek is a continuing story, not one story that's re-told in varrious ways like Superman.

This is my take on each series:

TOS - Enterprise explores the cosmos, the series that started it all.

TNG - Moving us a century later and to a massive Enterprise-D, Star Trek is taken to the next level.

DS9 - We move from the Enterprise to a space station dealling with space-pollitics, and later war.

VOY - Small starship, swept to the other side of the galaxy, explores uncharted space as it searches for a faster way home.

ENT - Taking us before TOS, showing us Starfleet's first deep space mission.

Now, if they remade TOS, this would brake the mold. I would much rather see the Trek universe "expanded on", instead of remade.

As for TOS looking dated? Who cares! Just say, "OK, it's old and was made in the 60's." Stretch your imagination, and enjoy the story. As for newer shows? Look at ENT. It's set before TOS, but it's kept "futurisic looking" while looking like it came before TOS.

I dunno. The way I see it, if you can expand on the original work, why do a remake? I'm only for remakes when a "continuation" of the story can't be told like with the movie The Time Machine for example.

If they remake TOS, that's fine and all, except I won't watch it. :o Instead, I'll collect TOS on DVD. :bow:

I don't like the idea of a TOS remake with other actors. TOS is TOS with Bill Shatner, DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy (and all the other ones of course) and should not be changed in any way.

I would also think very hard about watching something like this.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I might watch it, just to see how bad they're going to mess things up!! But I think it's a bad idea. Even with new and improved special effects, you shouldn't mess with the classics. I hope they wouldn't get some young actor doing a bad Shatner impression.

No, they shouldn't do that. I don't think they would be that stupid either, they would know that some things have to be left as they are.

Stardate:213542.7

Very Very Very Very bad idea!! :lol: I agree with CJLP that if they did that it would either kill off the franchise or serverly hurt it.

I think it's something that Could be done, but not as a series. As a movie. It could be interesting to see a new rendition of a mission with Cpt Pike shortly before The Cage happened. But I don't think it would be good for the show to do it. Only the most diehard fans would likely enjoy something like this.

If they did this, it would prove to me that they have reached the bottom of the barrel, completely run out of ideas, thoughts and creativity..........This in my opinion would be a very bad idea. I doubt that many of the Star Trek fans would wholeheartedly support it, especially those of us who have been around since the beginning. :lol:

Walter Koenig has the same idea, but I think that it’s a real bad one. (IMHO)

It is an interesting idea, but other then that I don’t think it’s good.

Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov) recently offered an unorthodox take on the future of the Star Trek franchise.

Speaking with David Bassom in the latest issue of Star Trek Monthly, Koenig said he thought the sixth live-action Star Trek television series could literally go back to where it all began.

"My sense is that the next Star Trek television series after Enterprise has run its full seven years — I'm not suggesting it's not going to — will be a remake of the original series with a whole new cast," the actor said (via Sci-Fi Pulse). "There will be new stories but they'll do them the same way we did and use the same characters — a new Kirk, a new Spock and a new Chekov."

Although this is purely Koenig's personal theory on what the future may hold — no need to start the Series VI rumour mill just yet — he described the premise as "a very logical progression" of the Star Trek franchise.

Regarding Trek's future on the big screen, the actor advocated an idea that has been mentioned by franchise head Rick Berman from time to time, namely incorporating cast members from several different series in the one movie. "I feel that something needs to be done if the [film] franchise is to persevere," he said. "I think they need to take a new approach: they need to not feel limited by the history and do something different and new. To that end, they might need to bring in a writer that has a different kind of vision."

The complete interview with Walter Koenig, in which he also reflected on his time as Chekov and talked about his new script, Illegal Alien, can be found in issue 107 of Star Trek Monthly. Alternatively, excerpts are available at Sci-Fi Pulse.

--TrekToday

Maybe we could have a show that is in the time of TOS, but not have a re-make. A re-make like the one that Walter is suggesting is just not a good idea.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Edited by master_q

A TOS remake with new actors? No way!! IMO, only Shatner can play Kirk, and only Nimoy can play Spock. If Paramount tried to recast TOS, fans would be comparing the performances of the new cast to the veterans, and the concensus would very likely be negative. Kind of like when Robin Curtis replaced Kirstie Alley as Lt. Saavik.

I don't like the idea of a TOS remake with other actors. TOS is TOS with Bill Shatner, DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy (and all the other ones of course) and should not be changed in any way.

Mrs. Captain Picard

A big DITTO!!!

Mrs. Captain Picard

I agree !

I'd would be very irrate if they ever did make a remake of TOS with other actors. :clap:

I'm not too sure what I would do. I haven't really seen much TOS or seen their movies so I could go in with no preconceptions and give it a chance. Having said that I'm not sure if I would prefer to see a new set of characters and a series set after TNG/DS9/Voyager time.

I wouldn't watch. I would be insulted.

It's a TV show. I wouldn't be insulted, I'd just say. "Pfffh," and change the channel. :D

But it would be a kick in the face if Berman destoyed the original.

I'd watch it, just like every other episode (any series) and if I didn't like what I was watching, the remote will be put to better use than sitting on the coffee table.

I didn't like DS9 all that much nor ENT, but I watch them anyway. If the episode is, in my opinion, boring, I'll change the channel or shut the TV off and find something else to do.

Simple answer, no I wouldn't watch a remake. It would be like the cover on a classic song like 'Yellow Taxi' it just couldn't be better than the original. Need new crew, times and story arcs....expand the world of Trek.

I must admit that if it was the only source of new Star Trek episodes on the air I would probably watch it.

It would not replace TOS in my heart. It could never be for me what TOS was. ( I watched it while it was on the air.)

Nevertheless I would watch the remake of TOS and hope for the best.

I saw the play " The Wiz," and the movie version of it. It was a pretty good movie and a different take on a classic, and had some good music. It was an additional piece of enternatinment, but it did not change what " the Wizard of Oz " with Judy Garland was to me.

Why not?I'd at least stick around for the first season to see what the series had to offer.now,I'd hate it if it was just an episode-for-episode rehash of TOS,but if the episodes were new,and the characters were presented in a new and fresh way,while basically sticking to what has been previously established about them,then yeah,I'd watch it.I mean,we never did get to see Kirk's first year as captain of the Enterprise(TOS began sometime in the middle of the 2nd year of the 5-year mission),and it would be interesting to see how the principle characters got to know one another,what their initial reactions towards each other were,and so on.

I mean,we never did get to see Kirk's first year as captain of the Enterprise(TOS began sometime in the middle of the 2nd year of the 5-year mission),and it would be interesting to see how the principle characters got to know one another,what their initial reactions towards each other were,and so on.

That is the best reason why it should be done that I have ever heard. Ya know those areas have never been covered in novels either? (in any novel I have read) It's always during or after what was put on the series, you got me anxious to see or read about the beginning of TOS.

Here's a question for all you fans:

If a TOS remake were made, how would it fit into the timeline? If it didn't, would we get remakes of TNG, DS9, and so forth? Would we have new spin-offs that were a continuation of the original Trek universe, or would they be a continuation of the remake?

Here's a question for all you fans:

If a TOS remake were made, how would it fit into the timeline?  If it didn't, would we get remakes of TNG, DS9, and so forth?  Would we have new spin-offs that were a continuation of the original Trek universe, or would they be a continuation of the remake?

If TOS were remade then I would imagine it would fit into it's timeline as an overlap of TOS. It would be the same timeline just additional events (or the same events retold).

Would we get new remakes of the other series? perhaps, we'll have to wait 35 years and see if soneone wants to remake one of them (Since it's been almost 40 years since TOS was made).

Can you believe Star Trek is almost 40 years old?