Sign in to follow this  
master_q

"Hardy Looks Back At Shinzon"

"Hardy Looks Back At Shinzon"

Although it has been roughly six months since Tom Hardy talked to the media about his Nemesis role he still maintains a certain degree of pride about his role as Shinzon, and admits freely that it has opened a few doors for him in his professional life. However to this day he remains in awe of the amount of friends he has that are Star Trek fans. Jennifer Jackson recently caught up with the Actor for issue 107 of Star Trek: Monthly.

"I have some very close friends who I didn't know were Star Trek fans, and I've got some friends who I knew were fans. It was very interesting. A good friend of my wife's a massive, massive fan and we had some chats. Another director I've worked with is a fan as well. So it's opened up some doors in different social surroundings, that's for sure."

As any actor will tell you, one of the requirements of being a good actor is to know your craft. A part of that craft is a good understanding of human nature. Hardy utilised these traits in order to make Shinzon a convincing villain. Hardy has also tried to avoid looking to much at what had gone on with other villains from Star Trek, but still admires the actors who have portrayed them.

"You have so much freedom when you play villains. There are so many avenues you can explore. Khan [Ricardo Montalban] and the Borg Queen [Alice Krige] were my favourite Star Trek villains of all of them, but I didn't really put too much stress on myself about things like that. I didn't try to defeat somebody else's performance. That's nonsense. You just go in and do your best."

Although in any Sci Fi or Adventure movie there has to be a bad guy or a villain. Hardy tends to shy away from looking at Villains and Bad guys as evil and argues that evil is something entirely apart from villainy.

"A baby is not born evil," he argues. "I think that you attain baggage through circumstances, through various issues with the world. Shinzon is very much the orphan, the lonely child who was abused. Unless you get right to the centre or the essence of a character, there's no point.

"Also," he adds, "when it comes to villains why is this person a monster? Why is someone suddenly so vile and distasteful? Because of what he's been through. That makes for understanding a character. Three - dimensional bad guys are much more interesting than one dimensional bad guys."

Although Nemesis failed internationally at the box office and is on record for being lowest rated Star Trek movie at the international box office Hardy is still very proud of his link with the franchise.

"I'd like Nemesis to be a calling card, to show people that I can do the work. I think my performance is a testament to where you are in your training as an actor. So you're never entirely pleased, never entirely comfortable with a performance. You could always do better, couldn't you? But at the same time you've got to turn it off and say, 'Hang on a minute. This is what I could do. I've done my best'. That's all you can do. At the end of the day you're never going to be entirely happy but you've got to cut it off somewhere or you will go mad. So, I'm pretty satisfied with the film and my work in it."

You can read more about Tom Hardy and his future plans in the new issue of Star Trek: Monthly which is out now in all good news agents

--scifipulse http://scifipulse.net/Trek%20Archive/July0...03/Shinzon.html

What did you think of his acting abilities in ST X?

Did you like his role in the film?

. . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I think his acting was great and his character was fine also. My problem is that in some ways Shinzon seemed like the stereotypical baddie and similar heavies have been seen several times over. I also think they should have fleshed out his character more. Perhaps they should have explored more of his reasons for hating Earth and at the same time rejecting non-human women.

Shinzon is my favourite Trek villain followed by the Borg Queen. I thought Tom Hardy was wonderful in the role.

Shinzon's not my favorite villian by any means, but Tom Hardy did a fantasitc job playing him. He's a great actor.

Tom Hardy is a great actor and a great enemy in "Nemesis". And, if I may add, he looks soooo good with hair :lol: I almost didn't recognize him when I first saw him with hair :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I think his acting  was great and his character was fine also.  My problem is that in some ways Shinzon seemed like the stereotypical baddie and similar heavies have been seen several times over.  I also think they should have fleshed out his character more.  Perhaps they should have explored more of his reasons for hating Earth and at the same time rejecting non-human women.

I agree! We know why Shinzon was after Picard-he needed his blood to survive. But WHY did he hate Earth? The Romulans were the ones who created, then abused and abandoned him. Why didn't he want to kill everyone on Romulus?

I thought that Tom Hardy did really well as Shinzon. He rates high on my pick for best villain, however best villain honors still go to the Borg Queen, IMO

I really liked the way Tom Hardy did was able to be Patrick Steward nemesis.

His prestance was there to be able to do so.

I really liked him as a vilain

I think Hardy did a pretty decent job with what he had going in the script. However, the Borg Queen and Khan had MUCH MORE to work with. If you saw the original episode or even just the movie, you could tell Khan´s life had been ruined and that genius of his was bent on destroying the man who exiled him. The Queen, well...shes the Borg Queen...´nuff said. Nemesis just didnt give Hardy the ability to surpass the other villains no matter how good he acted. IMHO btw.

Sign in to follow this