• 33⅓
    • 33⅓ & 45
    • 33⅓ & 78
    • 45 & 78
    • All 3
    • What's with the numbers?

oh!!

records!

I have heeps that i've colected going to markets and such.

I've got alot of Beatles, Rolling stones and Barry white ones

Oh, man, I totally answered wrong! I own tons of records...I just didn't know what an LP was....But I still have no idea what's with the numbers.

The numbers refer to the revolutions per minute that the records are played at. Typical LP's are played at 33 1/2 RPM. This refers to the speed at which you set your turntable. The little records that only have 1 song on each side are commonly referred to as 45s because that is the speed at which you play them. The 78s are ancient records from the turn of the century that used to be played at that speed.

I own hundreds of LPs and 45s. They are mostly what you would call Classic Rock today but when I bought them they weren't "classic" yet...lol. I also have about a dozen or so of 78s which I got from my grandmother. I never play them but I don't have the heart to throw them away.

I realize that cds are far superior to records but I do miss records a lot. You used to get some neat things with them. Many records came with full size posters or 8 x 10 pics of the artists. The cover art from old Rock records are considered an artform today. The jackets to the records also were neat at times. I have an old Rolling Stone record where there is a close up of a pair of pants and it had a real zipper on it that you could zip up and down. Alice Cooper also had some neat things in his records. Those type of records are real collectibles today.

I realize that cds are far superior to records but I do miss records a lot. You used to get some neat things with them. Many records came with full size posters or 8 x 10 pics of the artists. The cover art from old Rock records are considered an artform today. The jackets to the records also were neat at times. I have an old Rolling Stone record where there is a close up of a pair of pants and it had a real zipper on it that you could zip up and down. Alice Cooper also had some neat things in his records. Those type of records are real collectibles today.

Yeah, CD's offer a more pure and clear sound but there was just something about hearing a record drop onto the turntable and the needle coming down. Sometimes I miss that crackle and pop, and try playing a CD backwards or at the wrong speed and see how much fun that is lol.

For those not knowing what the speeds (numbers) are, have you ever heard The Chipmunks? Well any singer or group could be made to sound like them. All you had to do was play around with the speeds, if you had a 33 1/3 and played it at 45 or 78 the voices and music would play super fast, if you had a 78 or 45 and played it at 33 1/3 it would be like listening to the music in slow motion.

And if you really wanted to freak yourself out (or your 8 year old little brother) then turn the record player on but don't start the turntable. Put one of your Beatles records on and put the needle on the album then turn the record backwards and listen to the words say "Paul is Dead... Paul is Dead... Paul is Dead..." or other things like that lol (Yes that stuff was really in Beatles records... I've heard it... I was the 8 year old little brother :dontgetit: lol)

I think we still own a couple. Unless we finally sold those too.... we did have all three speeds.

We gave away a huge collection, and sold a few as well after our turntable died... and it was a absolute pain to find decently priced parts for said turntable. I grew up listening to LP & EP's, along with 8-tracks and cassettes. My parents had this awesome stereo that had an 8-track player, cassette player, a AM/FM radio and a turntable. But sadly that one croaked some 8 to 10 years ago, though we only recently got rid of it. I think my dad has a similar style one in his music studio, but I do not know if everything still works on it though. And we also recently got rid of the turntable we had found at a flea market because that too had finally died.

I think I still have old Bill Cosby LP's, but do not own a record player. I beleive they are actually in my mother's home, where there IS still a record player.

Yes, in fact I have the soundtrack to The Wrath of Khan on LP.

Edited by Data

I know my mom has an old disk from the 70's thats like an early DVD that has Star Trek: TMP on it... I think it's two disks.

I know my mom has an old disk from the 70's thats like an early DVD that has Star Trek: TMP on it... I think it's two disks.

Sounds like you're talking about a laser disc.

I remember the laser discs as well. I believe it was "The Wizard Of Oz" that my grandparents had a copy of. Somebody had given them a laser disc player for a birthday or Christmas present or something, I am not sure which family member has it now (my grandfather passed away in 1994 and my grandmother in 1997) or if it had been sold.

I have a few boxes of my dad's old records.

78s and 45s.

Mostly Motown stuff from the 60s and 70s. Al Green, Teddy Pendergrass, Temptations, Miracles, Del Fonics, Etc.....he loved that music. I've had a few offers for the collection from a local music store owner, but I think I'll hang on to them. I don't have many things that belonged to my dad. My other siblings basically grabbed everything while I was still crying over my dad's death. Besides the records I have 1 photo of him, and that's it.