Sign in to follow this  
LadyNarana

Spatial Question

Ok, maybe I'm a little confused, but here we go --

Over and over in the series, it is mentioned that Bajor is only hours away from the station. (6, isn't it?). Now, let's think a minute here...

The wormhole is in a fixed area of space. The station is by the entrance, guarding it. Bajor is NOT fixed - it must orbit a star. In fact, they mention Bajor's sun several times, and it seems a considerable distance away. Where is Bajor in relationship to the station? There must be a perogee and apogee. The only solution I could think of was that the wormhole is actually above or below the solar plane, as is the station. Then you'd have a relatively clear shot at Bajor most of the time.

Ok, if I'm even more confused than I think I am, please let me know. :laugh:

Maybe when they are referring to Bajor being 6 hours away they are giving the time from it furthest distance during its rotation. We have seen during some episodes where they were able to get to Bajor in short amounts of time.

Actually Bajor is 3 hours away, it's likely an oversight on the part of the writers but it could be explained by using different speeds to travel to the planet.

The wormhole is actually in the Denorios belt, a charged plasma field in or near the Bajor system. There's no guarantee that the belt is in the plane of the rest of the planets in the system, so it's possible the wormhole is outside of that plane, as LadyNarana first postulated.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the wormhole isn't actually fixed totally in space, but actually moves around the Bajoran sun as the planets do, and maintains a constant distance to Bajor. How does this work? Um...uh...the Prophets did it. Yeah, that's it, the Prophets did it...:clap:

I never really thought about it until now.I always just sort of figured the planet was always close enough to DS9 to be visible through the station's viewports.I should've known better.I guess with a relatively high impulse velocity a runabout could reach Bajor fairly rapidly,no matter how far out it was located at any given moment in time.