13 members have voted

1. 1. On your 25th birthday?

• I felt great!
    • I didn't really care.
    • I felt like crap. Stupid booze...
    • I was depressed.
    • I'm not 25 yet.
    • Other.

Hopefully this poll came out correctly... It's my first attempt at making a poll with the new set-up...

So.... I just want to know how other people felt about their 25th birthday. My 25th b-day is in several weeks, and I find myself quite depressed about it. The closer my birthday gets, the more I think about what I should've done. The more I think about the choices I've made.

Shouldn't this crap not happen until I'm 35?!

It would appear I'm about 4-5 months younger than you, wishfire. Haven't had mine yet. I wouldn't worry about ruing the past though. Little anecdote I'd like to share, so grab a cup of cocoa and curl up by the fire.

Got your cocoa yet?

Well get it!!

Ok, now to the story: I was the moderator of one of the DelphiForums. Delphiforums suck by the way. They really do. Anyway, I was host of the game night. I was getting tired of it, and so I made the final game about me, to see who actually knew stuff about me, and who were just posers and wannabes. Among the questions, I added stuff about things I had done in my brief life. Little quirky things that I didn't consider very significant. At the end of the game, I had people twice my age tell me what a remarkable person I was for doing some of the things I had done that they hadn't. I was shocked and puzzled. Point is, some would say some of the things you've done with your time are pretty remarkable too, whether it be little things you did out of passion/hobby, or the trials you've gone through. You've done things I'll never do, and your story is gonna be fascinating to others in one facet or another.

I can understand that, it's happened to me too.

But that isn't really the point. It's not about what you have or haven't done, but how you feel. Since you're only a few months younger than me, I wouldn't be surprised if you've had thoughts similar to my own, reaching this age. (Of course, I'm naturally depressed, and since I don't know if you are or not, I really can't say.)

And as silly as it may be, the fact that I'm about to be a quarter of a cenutry old has me even more depressed.

I'm thinking that maybe I should buy a new notebook and pen and start writing poetry, like I used to. At the very least, it's a way to vent my depression.

I can understand that, it's happened to me too.

But that isn't really the point. It's not about what you have or haven't done, but how you feel. Since you're only a few months younger than me, I wouldn't be surprised if you've had thoughts similar to my own, reaching this age. (Of course, I'm naturally depressed, and since I don't know if you are or not, I really can't say.)

And as silly as it may be, the fact that I'm about to be a quarter of a cenutry old has me even more depressed.

I'm thinking that maybe I should buy a new notebook and pen and start writing poetry, like I used to. At the very least, it's a way to vent my depression.

Ok. Not sure if I completely understand. From what I'm getting, you're depressed because, aside from naturally being so, you feel you haven't done enough with your life or just made too many wrong decisions, or is it just a matter of feeling your own mortality (I've always felt the two were connected though), or something else? I've never been medically diagnosed as depressed, but I frequently am.

I find myself on the other end of the spectrum, however. For me, though only a few months behind you, it's still about me trying to establish myself. Getting to a point where I at least have some certain things in my life (this, by the way, is not a growing list that's always out of reach. These are simpler, basic things), or reaching the point where I no longer have to ask for basic necessities as birthday and Christmas presents. It's about me not being where I want to, and how in the world do I think I can actually get there? Along the way, I've been forced to sit and wonder if some of the choices I've made were the right ones, but to some degree I also see myself headed somewhat in the right direction.

Again, I'm not sure if I understand you entirely either.

As for venting it out, it's always good. Poetry is not my venue, though. I worry more about construct than abstractions and emotions, which tends to make for lousy poetry.

you feel you haven't done enough with your life

That...

made too many wrong decisions

that...

a matter of feeling your own mortality

and that.

A combination of all those. Of course, I have always been one to see the downside of things. Though I often try to make the best of them by venting them, such as in the aforementioned poetry.

I've never been medically diagnosed as depressed, but I frequently am.

I was diagnosed when I was 16, but I've known it since I was 10. Let's put it this way... If you're ever diagnosed, use the depression to your advantage. Make it work for your creatively. Do not let them put you on meds.

I find myself on the other end of the spectrum, however. For me, though only a few months behind you, it's still about me trying to establish myself. Getting to a point where I at least have some certain things in my life (this, by the way, is not a growing list that's always out of reach. These are simpler, basic things), or reaching the point where I no longer have to ask for basic necessities as birthday and Christmas presents. It's about me not being where I want to, and how in the world do I think I can actually get there? Along the way, I've been forced to sit and wonder if some of the choices I've made were the right ones, but to some degree I also see myself headed somewhat in the right direction.

I feel that I should have already established myself somehow. And I feel that I haven't.

And I don't care about presents. People keep asking me, "What do you want for Christmas?" And I answer, quite truthfully, "I don't care."

As for venting it out, it's always good. Poetry is not my venue, though. I worry more about construct than abstractions and emotions, which tends to make for lousy poetry.

Not all poetry is "abstractions and emotions," though at the same time artistic venting is entirely up to the individual. For example, poetry is only one of my venting methods. I also write stories and draw. I know one person who uses architecture (sp?) as a vent. And another you works out to keep his mind off of his depression. There are as many ways to vent as there are people.

you feel you haven't done enough with your life

That...

Well, that was the point of the anecdote. You've done things I never will, that I'll wonder how you found time for.

made too many wrong decisions

that...

Remember Tapestry man... Tapestry.... (I dunno. It seemed like the right thing to say at the time.)

a matter of feeling your own mortality

and that.

I can't help you there. Though I've oft mused at the thought of being an immortal, I've seldom been scared of death, outside of my own instincts keeping me alive. Early on I read the words of Teddy Roosevelt: "Life and death are both just parts of the same great adventure." That's become a great cliche to remember. Faith has also played a part for me, but I won't burden you with the discussion of that. I also live with a family history of cancer. It stinks to know that I stand a good chance of going that way, but at the same time, it doesn't irk me as much as you might think.

I feel that I should have already established myself somehow. And I feel that I haven't.

And I don't care about presents. People keep asking me, "What do you want for Christmas?" And I answer, quite truthfully, "I don't care."

I only used the Christmas example to give you a concrete idea of what I'm talking about. When I'm getting 24 packs of TP, or huge supplies of detergent for Christmas....yeah. And to some degree I feel I should have established myself already too. It's hard to look reality in the eye when that reality reeks of people younger than you already more successful, already further on their way in life, with the white-collar job that includes having a cell phone CrazyGlued to their ear, with a beautiful spouse, and an effervescent attitude.......and it makes you scowl. I do feel that way, too. I see that I made a couple mistakes on the way, maybe even had a couple concepts wrong, and it frequently does get me down. I guess I just force myself to remember that feeling this way isn't gonna do anything for me. To some degree, I feel I ought to have established myself, and I just can't figure out what went wrong. But occasionally I see a glimmer of hope when I keep in mind what I'm doing that seems to be pointing in the right direction. I hope you can occasionally see that too.

Not all poetry is "abstractions and emotions," though at the same time artistic venting is entirely up to the individual. For example, poetry is only one of my venting methods. I also write stories and draw. I know one person who uses architecture (sp?) as a vent. And another you works out to keep his mind off of his depression. There are as many ways to vent as there are people.

Eh, just trying to add levity. I've got my own ways, but I tend not to go into great depth about them simply because I've come across too many people who don't share my passion on those subjects, and I just get more depressed because nobody cares. Ah ja, the neverending spiral.

I don't remember feeling anything different on my 25th Birthday then my 15th or 35th birthdays. I'm not one to get depressed over making another successful voyage around the Sun though.

I was very Depressed in April when I hit the big 25, but I have a funny feeling Alana is gonna take it alot worst then I did

25 is a good age to be..I wish I was 25 again.. :blink:

Wait until you pass 40 and realize that soon you'll be half a century old.. :dontgetit:

25 is a good age to be..I wish I was 25 again.. :blink:

Wait until you pass 40 and realize that soon you'll be half a century old.. :dontgetit:

I passed that milestone already. Checkout my profile.

Edited by Data

Wait until you pass 40 and realize that soon you'll be half a century old.. :yawn:

My mother passed that milestone in September. She was ecstatic! SHe has waited so long to reach 50 years old and get to actually say she has made it through half a century of life. B)

LOL, a coworker of ours brought her a wonderful chocolate cake with a giant tombstone on it. Plus a bunch of "old age" gag gifts, it was awesome... and mom thought it was a scream!!!

My father, he passes that milestone in a couple months and he seems to be dreading it :dontgetit: . Bleah, party pooper.

Now as for the topic at hand, I felt pretty darned good on my 25th. Except for the fact some stupid dumbbutt of a kid backed up into my car at an intersection. Lost the front bumper of my car. Other than that, I felt great. After all, I was finally able to say I am a Quarter of a Century old!!! :blink:

I voted "other".

I don't remember. :dontgetit:

HAHA! I Hope that's how my 25th Birthday is!

In my case mine is exceptionally easy to remember, since it happened a little over 7 months ago.