Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Spock in every episode of DS9

Okay, I saw this at the boards at ST.com.

Apparently, Spock's face appears in every episode of DS9. The opening credits, to be precise. It seems that our Vulcan friend's face appears in the dust trail left behind by the silver asteroid at the very beginning of the the opening credits.

The visual proof...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
without_sin_spocks_face.jpg

Does anyone know if this is true or just an interesting hoax?

I've just watched the opening of DS9 a couple of times and I don't see it. I would think it's either a hoax or it's like seeing things in cloud formations. If you look hard enough you can see just about anything.

Did that thread give a time index as to when this is supposed to happen in the opening?

I've just watched the opening of DS9 a couple of times and I don't see it. I would think it's either a hoax or it's like seeing things in cloud formations. If you look hard enough you can see just about anything.

Did that thread give a time index as to when this is supposed to happen in the opening?

Nothing specific, just "It's right after the comet pass the camera and before it comes back on screen." Which doesn't say all that much. Maybe it needs to be paused and advanced frame by frame. I'd look myself, except I don't have any DS9 on DVD. Just the first 3 seasons of VOY and all of ENT.

Huh. How about that. I can't wait until I have DS9 DVDs of my own. (Of course, that won't happen until I get the rest of the VOY DVDs...)

Edited by wishfire

It's like looking at a cloud formation, you can see what your mind imagines. Here's the opening, at one point I can see a skull.

DS9.wvx

I can't see the file. (I could see the ENT money clip, though...)

Hmmm... I can't see it. But then again, I'm running on Windows Media Player, so basically I have to press Play then Pause really quick. So I might just be missing it.

Who knows? Sooner or later I'll have it on DVD...

Interesting,

I can definetly see a face when I look closely into the clouds (DVD on my laptop)

But I don't think it was on purpose

Interesting,

I can definetly see a face when I look closely into the clouds (DVD on my laptop)

But I don't think it was on purpose

I agree, I don't see "Spock" though but I do see where someone could call it "Spock". I think it's just the way the particles swirl around that creates the illusion. Our minds just fill in the blank spaces and make us think we're seeing something that isn't there.

if this is true its kinda like Superman and Seinfield

True, but Superman is either actually seen in the background (typically on the frige or a statue on the shelves) or referenced in dialogue, not hidden like this.

True, but Superman is either actually seen in the background (typically on the frige or a statue on the shelves) or referenced in dialogue, not hidden like this.

I don't get it.

What are you goin on about?

I don't get it.

In most (I don't think it is quite all) episodes of Seinfeld there is either a dialogue reference to Superman or the image of Superman can be seen, mostly as a magnet on Jerry's refrigerator or a statue on Jerry's shelves.

This is similar, but not the same as, to the image of Spock that can be seen in the DS9 intro.

still a pretty good spot!

Who knows, maybe in Voyager, at the begining when the fire blasts, we will see Rikers face!

And when they're going through the cloud we'll see Data. And Troi will be in the planet's rings. :dontgetit:

I don't get it.

In most (I don't think it is quite all) episodes of Seinfeld there is either a dialogue reference to Superman or the image of Superman can be seen, mostly as a magnet on Jerry's refrigerator or a statue on Jerry's shelves.

This is similar, but not the same as, to the image of Spock that can be seen in the DS9 intro.

Yeah, Superman is Jerry's "hero" so he made sure to put him in most if not all episodes of his show.

super.JPG

He even did some commercials with the "Big Guy":

super2.JPG

I dont find it hard to beleave that Spock is in DS9 just how the series is based on religiona and mythology, I could see them doing this

My theory: the images in the original post are Photoshopped. You can see the basic outline of what could be interpreted to be a face in the screenshot posted by sea trooper but the two images are not identical. The first one is a little more defined. And quite coincidentally, the provided image of Spock just "happens" to fit the clouds, and for effect, it's mixed in for that middle image.

If they really meant to put Spock in, why that exact frame of him? And how much time did the author of the image in the original post spend finding that exact image of Spock, based on a cloud formation? Think about it.

If there is a face in the clouds or dust or whatever, it's probably a reference to something being out there that we can't explain. The main story arc dealt with Sisko growing to accept the 'wormhole aliens' as gods, so maybe it was a subtle implication that there's some benign force looking over the space station.

Paramount knows Trekkies will go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, but something this specific, something so hidden? I don't think so. Are there any other hidden references? A better way to do it would have been to occasionally dub Spock in with the crowd on the Promenade. Have a Vulcan walking by off to the side, out of the way, and it's really archive footage of Leonard Nimoy as Spock from one of the movies.

Hmm, I don't know about all this...It reminds me of all the preverted things in disney movies...like apparently it says "sex" in the lion king when simba flops down on some grass, and all of those random things. When i looked at that picture, I saw like 5 different faces...I dunno if any where spock or not.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were true with all the insider-gags that are in Star Trek but I can't really see the face.

I keep on watching DS9 and keep thinking about this.

There is a face in those clouds.

And it really wouldn't suprise me if this was true.

It's just too coincidental

Hmm, I don't know about all this...It reminds me of all the preverted things in disney movies...like apparently it says "sex" in the lion king when simba flops down on some grass, and all of those random things. When i looked at that picture, I saw like 5 different faces...I dunno if any where spock or not.

Actually, the "sex" scene is true. I saw it with my own eyes. Unlike the Spock face. (I keep trying, but so far nothing.)

You can see the basic outline of what could be interpreted to be a face in the screenshot posted by sea trooper but the two images are not identical. The first one is a little more defined.

True, but the two screenshots might have been different time idexes. Sea trooper's shot could be a couple frames off. Even with a DVD player, it's hard to get exact frames.

gah, okay, for christmas I got some DS9 seasons, and have been watching the episodes non stop.

I never fast forward the intro.

And seeing a face there....

It's driving me nuts!!!!!!

I can't think that it wasn't put there.

It's just too obvious.

I was watching an episode with a mate, and when the opening titles came on, he looked at me and said:

"Um, did I just see a face in the comets trail?"

If you could unparticlize the picture and adjust the contrast a bit you can see a face.. now whether for sure this is Spock OR just a face.. or an accident.. I don't have the answer for that.. but there is a face.. it's like one of those 3D eye puzzles though.. some of it is bluging up and some down.. if you cross your eyes I bet it pops up too :clap: